Send Topic Print
What next? (Read 126 times)
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
What next?
09/07/10 at 18:36:41

I have an 05 S40(purchaesed new)......have done the carb mod four years ago, removed the plug and have it turned out 2 1/2 turns.  This was 4 years ago........This pass week replaced stock muffler with a Dyna.  I now have the tank off working on the petcock.  Found a hole in vacuum line and replaced.  Also replaced fuel line.  Removed spark plug and it was jet black.  Have been running rich for some time.. Manual says main jet is #145 with the pilot being 52.5.  I need advice on leaning the mix a little. Smiley Smiley

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: What next?
Reply #1 - 09/07/10 at 18:41:30

Adding the Dyna may have leaned you out already,... replace the plug and test again...
You might also consider a less restrictive air filter to match the new muffler... K/N direct replacement or mod the stocker with foam (how-to in the tech section)...
Wink...

PS... Is your air filter clean?... dirty will make you run rich...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #2 - 09/07/10 at 18:52:54

Have a k/n for several years now and have keep it clean.. I cleaned up the petcock today and hope I didn't hurt the diaphragm.  So far with the Dyna......have had no backfires after shut down.  In fact it was running better.  Just need to correct being to rich.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/07/10 at 18:55:23

Just drop the mix to 1 1/2 or 1 turn...  I doubt you need to lean the jetting with your set-up...

IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #4 - 09/07/10 at 18:56:13

Will definitely test to see if the Dyna will lean it.  I'll turn it back to 1 1/2.  Is that the air mixture??

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 09/07/10 at 19:40:19

yup...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/07/10 at 19:58:36

since you didn't say so, i assume you didn't do the wht spacer mod?

even if you did, might be ok to do it in reverse, add a spacer.  might take you down half a jet size.

WWW   IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #7 - 09/08/10 at 06:49:17

Did the white spacer mod shortly after purchase.  Waiting now for the oblong rubber ring to put petcock back in and re-asemble her.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 09/08/10 at 07:25:43

Seems strange, after 4 yrs,....of running good..I assume, that it would now needs carb mods, just because changing to a Dana. The Dana could run a little leaner, but only at the higher speeds.
You didn't move did you,....like from the Valley to the mountains ?
When you did the carb mod(s) 4 yrs ago, did you have a reason for doing so, or just because it seemed to be the "in" thing ?

Believe it or not, some stockers run almost great stock as a clock.
My '07 needed a 1/2 spacer mod,....thats all.

A friend bought an '06 2 months ago, that appears to be stock (plug still in carb), stock exhaust, runs perfect.

My Bro bought an '07 new, never touched it, except installed a Dana, and it runs perfect, except a little cold blooded.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #9 - 09/08/10 at 09:58:12

Hey Routy......Did the white spacer mod a few months after purchase...Machine was backfiring like mad...logged on to this site and the thing going at the time was the spacer mod and pulling the plug on the air mixture screw. Several months ago I started having a stalling problem intermittently.  Dealer no help. This same time it started the backfire at shutdown.(Hole in muffler).  Install Dyna last week and no more backfire.  Saturday it stalls. Start disasemble process.  Hole in vaccuum line and plug not even hand tight. Probably the cause of stalling problem.  New plug installed.... will asemble(after a few more checks and cleaning up a few items) and see what happens.  Some of my problems and questions I have seem some what dumb because I don't know what the hell I'm doing.  Great site!

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:15:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What next?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.