Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
first long trip question? (Read 359 times)
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Re: first long trip question?
Reply #15 - 09/09/10 at 07:17:06

Which brings a question to my mind as well.

I have the Clymer manual, I'm not a mechanic but fairly handy with my tools. Can I do the valves adjustment myself or should I bring to the shop? How easy/hard is it? And how much does your shop charges you? I have a year of free maintenance with my bike, is valve job included in that maintenance typically?

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #16 - 09/09/10 at 07:33:37

Interesting thread with a lot of topics going on.

First comment, valves need adjusting if you want your engine to be reliable, and run as well as can be expected. Maintenance needs to be done - things wear, adjustments change, things break down (I'm talking oil, plastics, surfaces) etc., etc.
Second comment, the savage - and most other MCs in good mechanical condition will outlast their riders on long trips. In other words if you've kept up with the maintenance and things are running well there is no reason to expect trouble just because you string miles together. Yes, "sh_t happens," but you aren't going to prevent it by doing something randomly (which, imho adjusting valves just because you are going on a trip falls under).
Third if you know how to use all the tools needed for a given maintenance job you won't have any trouble with the Savage. A lot of people say they are fairly handy with "their" tools, which if you are talking about mechanics tools, that is pertinent to working on a Savage, if you are talking about wood turning gouges, not so much, if your tools are the techniques you learned for interviewing in college, not at all.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #17 - 09/09/10 at 09:37:57

Arnold wrote on 09/09/10 at 07:17:06:
Which brings a question to my mind as well.

I have the Clymer manual, I'm not a mechanic but fairly handy with my tools. Can I do the valves adjustment myself or should I bring to the shop? How easy/hard is it? And how much does your shop charges you? I have a year of free maintenance with my bike, is valve job included in that maintenance typically?

Hey Arnold, (that brings to mind one of the kids annoying cartoons, sorry Wink0 )

I adjusted my valves  yesterday for the first time.  It was not hard, I had a friend kind of walk me through it, but I am sure I could have done it alone.  There is a link somewhere that gives all the details and instructions.

I am not sure about the valve job falling under maintance for a year, sorry.  I guess you could ask, but it is really not a bad job at all.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #18 - 09/09/10 at 10:30:48

Cool, then I shall attempt it myself, when the time has come.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #19 - 09/10/10 at 19:28:47

I would check them but don't expect the valves to be out by much. Every time I take a peek at the valves n my '02 they are right on the money. Keeping fresh oil in the engine is more important than checking the valve lash every four to five thousand miles.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #20 - 09/11/10 at 07:28:07

I bought a 96 but only now have 3k miles on it anyway, have a little while to go.

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #21 - 09/11/10 at 09:14:06

130 mile round trip for breakfast this morning.  Spring, TX to Navasota, TX and back via the back roads.  What a beautiful morning for a ride!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:37:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › first long trip question?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.