Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
first long trip question? (Read 359 times)
relic624k
YaBB Newbies

keep on thumping!

west houston, tx
first long trip question?
09/07/10 at 17:15:32

[font=Arial][/font][size=12][/size]ok i am thinking of taking a trip from houston tx to austin tx the trip should be around 300 to 400 miles in total im just wondering how good savages are for long trips i have 2007 with 6500 miles on it i keep up with my oil changes, my tires are in  good shape but i havent replace my spark plug or adjusted the valves. am i in good shape to take this trip?  thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: first long trip question?
Reply #1 - 09/07/10 at 17:48:26

No way would I run off on a road trip w/o settin the lash on the valves.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 09/07/10 at 18:39:59

And I would.  I figure a 350 mile ride is an easy day's scoot.

Couple of weeks ago we went 220-270 miles just for lunch:

In '07 did a 350 miles scoot leaving Friday 9pm to Saturday 7am, to see the Mojave under the Full Moon.  Picture taken about 2am without flash:

Found out an old Air Force buddy, he was vacation in San Diego, so I stopped to lunch, just a 250 mile scoot:

----

Bottom line, I see no difference between a little day trip on a cage as in a bike.  Only worry about a longer trip of a thousand miles, or three.  And even did when I did my 2,300 mile tour I had forgotten the tools and supplies!

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/07/10 at 19:21:34

250 miles is a weeks worth of commuting for me.
I don't set the valves every week, do you?
use your ears, are the tappin louder than your grandfather clock?
yes/adjust, no/ride.

WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/07/10 at 19:27:42

I have made a number of long trips with an S-40 carrying a sidecar.
One of them was more than 2300 miles.
piece of cake.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #5 - 09/07/10 at 23:59:15

This thread seems like an excellent time to shoot a question. I bought my bike with 5,000 miles on it. I have about 6,300 on it now, am I around any mile marker for servicing?

I can certainly here my valves,, but they don't seem to stand out. How will I know when it needs servicing?

Thanks!
-A Green and Proud Savage Owner  Cool

P.S. Love the full moon shot Paladin. That is a wild amount of light for 2 A.M.! Nothing like riding in a full moon, middle of the lunar cycle leaves me wanting morel lights on my bike!

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/08/10 at 00:21:49

I always check the valves on a purchased bike even if it was bought from a dealer new. I trust no one as much as my own eyes.
If you haven't checked them yet, do so.  Same with oil and filter.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 09/08/10 at 01:26:33

Did 350+kms (approx. 220mi.) on an S40 just this past Monday both secondary and primary highways ... Bike handled it no prob ... my right arse cheek was a bit numb at the end though!! Cool

« Last Edit: 09/09/10 at 03:14:18 by PerrydaSavage »  

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/08/10 at 04:13:05

I didnt say what I meant to say. He said he has enough miles on it to need the valves done. Hes riding the factory adjustment & over 6,000 miles on it. Unless his was done different than mine, its NEEDin an adjustment.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #9 - 09/08/10 at 13:44:02

I live on the north side (near Spring) and I've made the run from here to San Marcos a couple times.  I would recommend going through the middle (Houston-Bellville-La Grange-Bastrop-Austin) rather than I-10 to San Antonio or US 290 to Austin.  It's a really nice ride on some two lane country roads with speed limits of 65 or so.  Very little traffic and some nice scenery.   PM me if you want and I can give you the specifics.  Of course, if you like the 4 lane superslabs, I-10 or 290 are the way to go.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 09/08/10 at 13:58:35

When you go to get somewhere, the SuperSlab very good.  It is nice to know that the Thumper will go an easy 500-600 miles in a day.  But then, the SS is about 50 vehicles per mile, they set speed of traffic.  On US60 I was riding about 10 miles per vehicle, the easy routes set your own speed.  You can stop to smell the roses, see the sights.

WWW   IP Logged
relic624k
YaBB Newbies

keep on thumping!

west houston, tx
Reply #11 - 09/08/10 at 18:49:16

thanks for the info fellas you guys never let me down i have more confidence in my thumper now! and i will pm you tanker for more details about that scenic route.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #12 - 09/08/10 at 21:39:06

I live in Fort Worth and routinely use the Savage to go see my daughter in Lubbock. It'll do just fine. Would recommend looking at those valves though.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 09/09/10 at 00:49:20

A few years back I rode a little over 7,000 miles on my 02 savage on a one month ride and rode almost 700 in one day from montana to home. Freeway the whole way. A 300 or 400 mile trip and its just warming up!

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 09/09/10 at 07:03:39

Guess I'm not the only one to take the "Little-650-That-Can" out for long walks. I've done three major cross country (is it cross country if you go N-S-N instead of E-W-E?) runs. Minnesota to Miami, FL and back twice and a short Minnesota to Chapel Hill, NC and back once. Several 600-700 mile days because, once you get into the groove you don't want to stop, vibration be danged. The bike can do it, the question is can you?

I got the bike at 9k miles on it. Went to a shop the first time to get the front brakes done and new tires before the first long trip. Told them to adjust the valves. They did, but said it wasn't needed. They took the money though. And now that I think about it I haven't done it since. 24k miles and still running tight.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:21:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › first long trip question?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.