Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bigger engine in Savage. (Read 144 times)
Biddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bigger engine in Savage.
09/06/10 at 23:17:25

I just happen to have a '03 Ducati 749 laying around. Front forks are bent but the engine is good. Does anyone know how much room is in the savage and if there is room for that big of an engine? BTW I'm fully healed from getting hit back in January.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: Bigger engine in Savage.
Reply #1 - 09/06/10 at 23:28:30

Biddie wrote on 09/06/10 at 23:17:25:
I just happen to have a '03 Ducati 749 laying around. Front forks are bent but the engine is good. Does anyone know how much room is in the savage and if there is room for that big of an engine? BTW I'm fully healed from getting hit back in January.

beside the forks what else is wrong ? I'm just guessing here but I don't think it will go, do you have a degree in engineering ?
the wheel base is totaly wrong for that kind of engine.do you have a savage already?  Just park it next to the ducati engine see how it looks. If you want speed you got the wrong bike, Fix or sell the Ducati.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #2 - 09/07/10 at 01:10:53

Hello Biddie, and welcome back to the Forum !

Good to read you're doing OK after the accident.

So, you have a Ducati 748 (I sincerely never heard of a 749) with bent forks, and...
...you want to ruin the whole package by shoehorning the engine into a Savage frame ?
Roll Eyes
Forgive my words, by why waste a Ducati frame and gear and fit a 90bhp+++ thoroughbred into a Savage?
Lips Sealed
The Savage was designed with a 32bhp engine in mind: the frame, the suspension,. the brakes were all designed to cope with the limited performance of a 32bhp single.

If you swap the Ducati twin into the Savage frame, you'd have to re-design the rear swing arm, the entire braking system,the front fork (thicker tubes and different rake - there's no way 90+ bhp will tolerate that kind of rake unless you ride in a straight line only)

Take my word for it, it's like having an original Shelby Mustang, and shoehorning the engine into an old Ford Pinto for not wanting to repair a little front end damage on the Mustang itself.

Not worth the trouble, and not worth the money.

Fix the Duke, sell it, and with the money you get, shehorn a 750/800 DR BIG single into the Savage frame.
It'll still require some work, but a LOT LESS hassle !!!
(even the DR650 had an extra 15bhp compared to the Savage !!!)

Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/07/10 at 10:05:50

Ducati power would twist our frame into a pretzel...

Maybe that's why Ducati frames look like pretzels?...
(...but, in a very good way...)... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #4 - 09/07/10 at 11:32:22

There is no such thing as a free lunch.  Power comes with a price.  I would love to ride a Duck for a weekend, but I wouldn't want to own one.  Ask a Duck owner what a valve adjustment on that Desmo runs.  It is almost as much as a lot of people on this site paid for their Savage.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #5 - 09/07/10 at 12:36:32

gerald.hughes wrote on 09/07/10 at 11:32:22:
There is no such thing as a free lunch.  Power comes with a price.  I would love to ride a Duck for a weekend, but I wouldn't want to own one.  Ask a Duck owner what a valve adjustment on that Desmo runs.  It is almost as much as a lot of people on this site paid for their Savage.

Unfortunatly it seems the ducati is a rich mans bike ,as much as I love them I would,t own one, A BMW more my cup of tea for an everyday bike,but I still miss my ninja.
In England we called the BMW  the Rolls Royce of motorcycles.I have never owned one :'(

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #6 - 09/07/10 at 20:46:53

like this?

IP Logged
Biddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/07/10 at 21:39:24

I doubt I would ever seriously do it. The Italians have way too many wires to fool around with plus engine weighs almost as much as a Savage does. Just fun to think about all the crazy looks I'd get. As for the Duc the front fork is bent and the Oil cooler is squished other than that and a few cosmetics it's still a bike that is way too expensive and I shouldn't have bought. Could have bought 7 Savages.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/08/10 at 06:42:35

Now, dont you know what kinda crazy go kart a guy could build with a bike engine &tranny? Wouldnt want a real heavy engine, tho, I think an RD 400 would kikk BUTT!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 09/08/10 at 07:33:03

gerald.hughes wrote on 09/07/10 at 11:32:22:

That is because evidently US mechanics aren't worth their ... elbow grease.
Ducati valve clearance isn't done with nuts, it's done with spacers, if you haven't got the spacer, you can't just "make one".

Quote:
Mick said:
Unfortunatly it seems the ducati is a rich mans bike ,as much as I love them I would,t own one, A BMW more my cup of tea for an everyday bike,but I still miss my ninja.
In England we called the BMW  the Rolls Royce of motorcycles.I have never owned one :'(

I have owned one Ducati single, and one roundhead BMW flat twin.
The Ducati was 1974 vintage, with 1974 electrics - reliable only in sunny weather.
The BMW was reliable, so reliable it threw the rocker bearings frmo the right cylinder and still managed to ride over 50 miles and get me home... but frame anbd brakes weren't worth half the Ducati's (which had drums, by the way)

I will get my (new? 5 year-old new) BMW tomorrow.
7000 Euro for a 5-year BMW is a lot of money, but Euro-Bluebook lists it at 9500 and the seller must sell... so I'm happy.
I could have bought a Ducati ST3 with the wonderful "desmo" engine for 5000 Euro from a Duke dealership (and a one year warranty) but the BMW has new tires, new battery, ABS and shaft drive.

Some of you may not like shaft drive... but if it's good enough for Guzzi, BMW, and other heavyweights (and vintage MVAgusta racers from the '70s) it's good enough for me.

As I said, Biddie, you have a thoroughbred.
Fix it and ride it, or fix it and sell it... just don't hack it to pieces.
Any horse that raced the Kentucky Derby is worth more as a "weekend ride" than to butcher for horse glue...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 17:38:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bigger engine in Savage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.