Critters! (Read 205 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Critters!
09/06/10 at 01:49:49

Just a lil reminder that the critters will be moveing more and earlier of an evening(later of a morning as well).
Paticularly the large whitetailed type.
Pre-rut is getting close and with the colder weather the acorns are starting to fall. So their going to be moveing more as time goes by, looking for food. The winter fattening is in progress...lol

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Critters!
Reply #1 - 09/06/10 at 02:01:39

yep, acorns sure put it on me...gotta watch how much I eat to keep that youthful look

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 09/06/10 at 06:03:03

Harvest season has started in Nebraska, at least for seed corn. Regular corn and soybeans will follow, and the harvesting machinery stirs up the deer and other wildlife. We have already had the obligatory news items about watching for deer on the move. If you hit a deer, you lose. As consolation, you can keep the deer.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #3 - 09/06/10 at 08:39:49

So all those times people said Nuts to You..it was a good thing? Cheesy

That whole rutting thing seeems so..anamalistic!
Be careful.

IP Logged
stratman

Klaatu,
Verata....Necktie

Concord, Ca.
Reply #4 - 09/06/10 at 11:33:48

i just put a couple of those animal warning whistles on the front of my frame....i don't know how to tell if they work of not-stratman

'There's no money above the 7th fret'...Tommy Tedesco
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #5 - 09/06/10 at 12:38:22

From what i hear stratman, those whistles work real well at attracting deer! Honestly though i hear their just another gimmic, dont work worth a hoot. Flashing your lights and honking your horn works better.

Lancer, be carefull those acorns are very fattening. The whiteoaks will make it hard for you to pee to! Cheesy

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 09/06/10 at 12:40:19

Many years ago when the deer whistles were relatively new, Nebraska's police agencies did some testing. I don't recall which did what, but either the State Patrol or the sheriff's offices used the whistles and the other agency did not. Result - no discernible difference between using and not using them. Nor any differences between before using the whistles and during.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #7 - 09/07/10 at 01:41:31

Just do to the deer what you do to annoying drivers.
Roll on the throtle and drop a gear real quick...KERPOW!
Think the guy thought i shot at him tonight...lol

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 09/07/10 at 05:55:21

The 4 leggers here are not used to being shot at, so the "kerpowies" don't do much except raise their heads. The horn does better w/ these deer,.......that don't have white tails. But these horses here are another story ! Ain't nothin more crazy than a horse thats been shot by a kerpowie. Anymore I control the fire power when I see horses. I wouldn't really like a rancher firing back w/ real bullets !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #9 - 09/07/10 at 11:40:29

Deer seem to enjoy apples. So from my personal experiences, I suggest when riding near or by an apple orchard take precautions.
Deer also at times travel in pairs. One may jump out or walk out of the brush, then just as you think the coast is clear, out comes the 2nd one.. Ride safe my brothers and sisters.. Hugs to all.. kim Smiley

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #10 - 09/07/10 at 12:19:25

here in deer-ville usa north central NC the deer run in threes - and you see them in threes standing beside the road eating etc.....they run across in front of you in threes.......so far no deer spotted while on two wheels - plenty while driving the 99 crown vic.....as long as itstays that way i'll be ok.....first time one or three of them things challenges me on the ole bike - i'll probably stop riding.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #11 - 09/07/10 at 23:40:59

They certainly do enjoy apples; they come up into Dad's front yard to eat the crabapples off the ground.  Which makes the deer themselves good eating! Wink
Yeah, if you see one deer, you can pretty much count on there being more off on the sidelines.  And no matter which side of the road they're on, when they see you coming, they want to be on the other side! Roll Eyes
An additional note from my experiences around here and at work: just because you're in town, or the suburbs, doesn't mean you can't hit a deer.  I've seen several down the road from my work in Tualatin, and it's right in the middle of the Portland suburbs!  Not to mention skunks, raccoons, 'possums, and so on.  When the towns keep growing, they gotta go somewhere. Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/08/10 at 00:24:29

I ain't goin to say nutten about this thread.

Phelonius Angry

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #13 - 09/08/10 at 00:41:55

Dont like deer pheloius? Or critters in general...lol

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #14 - 09/08/10 at 08:08:34

i saw 2 standing beside the road last night about 7PM in the middle of a large residential area/golf course about 2 miles from home - was in the crown vic though not on the cycle.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:29:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Critters!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.