Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wondering if this is normal throttle response (Read 192 times)
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Wondering if this is normal throttle response
08/31/10 at 15:45:54

Just wanted to see what everyone thinks on this.  My throttle feels slightly, well laggy I guess is how to put it.  An example:  when the bike is just idling, and I slowly roll on the throttle, it seems to start sputtering a bit.  If I continue rolling a bit more throttle, it gets smoother.  Another example: If I am riding, and slowly accelerate, it does the same thing.  If I accelerate faster, it smooths out.  Hard to explain, and I may have to make a vid to be more clear.  BTW, I am going to try to Sea Foam it tomorrow, and see if that does anything.

Jive

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Re: Wondering if this is normal throttle response
Reply #1 - 08/31/10 at 16:04:15

Mine did the same thing, especially with the engine cold. Your pilot circuit might be too lean. Have you tried to adjust the mixture screw? On mine it helped somewhat and it's about 2 1/4 turns out. I ran the stock 52.5 pilot jet and it was also present in tight turns, when I wanted to be careful on the throttle because of sand or little rocks laying in the corner and didn't want to slip. It was like nothing at first little throttle and then give it a little more and the bike just leaped forward too much and made the rear break out a bit. This was bugging quiet a bit as no matter how careful I tried to be, I could never make it do it right. I recently got a 52.5 pilot jet with bleed hole off of eBay for about $4 and the throttle response between idle and 1/8 is way smoother. At least on my bike. It isn't perfect, but so much better than before. That's what the bleed holes on pilot jets are supposed to accomplish, and it does it quiet well. I am very happy with that modification. Smiley

IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #2 - 08/31/10 at 16:10:18

That sounds similiar to mine, but I have not adjusted the mixture screw yet.  Now if my RPM's are up, it doesn't do it, just at low RPM.

Jive

ralfyguy wrote on 08/31/10 at 16:04:15:
Mine did the same thing, especially with the engine cold. Your pilot circuit might be too lean. Have you tried to adjust the mixture screw? On mine it helped somewhat and it's about 2 1/4 turns out. I ran the stock 52.5 pilot jet and it was also present in tight turns, when I wanted to be careful on the throttle because of sand or little rocks laying in the corner and didn't want to slip. It was like nothing at first little throttle and then give it a little more and the bike just leaped forward too much and made the rear break out a bit. This was bugging quiet a bit as no matter how careful I tried to be, I could never make it do it right. I recently got a 52.5 pilot jet with bleed hole off of eBay for about $4 and the throttle response between idle and 1/8 is way smoother. At least on my bike. It isn't perfect, but so much better than before. That's what the bleed holes on pilot jets are supposed to accomplish, and it does it quiet well. I am very happy with that modification. Smiley

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 08/31/10 at 18:28:15

Yes exactly, at low rpm's. It was really bad when I got it and everything was stock. The mixture screw had never been touched, and the brass plug was still on it. The screw was turned all the way in. Once I did the white spacer mod, and adjusted the mixture screw, she ran like she had double the horsepower. The stock setup is ridiculous! There's plenty information here how to adjust the mixture screw, and it did work great for me. If everything is ok with your bike, then adjusting the mixture screw should give you a noticeable improvement already.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 09/01/10 at 06:29:19

quote:
The stock setup is ridiculous!
---------------------------------------------
It may be for your bike, .....they are not all the same.
The brass plug has never been out of mine, and I have NEVER had any carbed engine start, idle, and run so good.

I did however have a low speed surging problem that the white spacer mod fixed perfectly. And it even still goes ...... ker POW!!!! every now and then just to remind you that it is still of "Savaged Design" Grin

no, I don't need no carb hacking to fix my "kerpowies"  Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #5 - 09/01/10 at 18:03:15

Well, I rode the Savage a lot today, and it seems once it really warms up the problem goes away.  So I think I will leave it as is.  

Jive

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 09/01/10 at 18:50:01

As a data point, did you try the Sea Foam? If so, did you notice any change?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #7 - 09/02/10 at 04:37:41

Charon wrote on 09/01/10 at 18:50:01:
As a data point, did you try the Sea Foam? If so, did you notice any change?

No, I didn't try Sea Foam, although I may, just to see if it does anything.

Jive

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #8 - 09/02/10 at 13:47:14

The seafoam may help...the good news is seafoam won't do anything bad to your motor Grin

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 09/02/10 at 13:54:37

I put seafoam in my bike numerous times, it never helped with those kind of little issues. It probably wasn't doing any harm, but it always did one thing: A few minutes after cold start the valve train made loud tapping noises until it got to operating temperature. It kept doing that one every cold start for a couple of weeks and then slowly went away. Put seafoam in again, same phenomenon re-appeared. Left seafoam out for half a year, the noise didn't come back. Put it in again, phenomenon re-appeared. I quit using seafoam, no more noise.

IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #10 - 09/02/10 at 16:45:14

That's interesting.  My valve train seems to tap quite a bit, but I am wondering if it's because the past two fill ups were with 87 octane.  The PO said he always used premium, and never noticed it.  I was under the impression that octane rating didn't matter on this bike though.

Jive

ralfyguy wrote on 09/02/10 at 13:54:37:
I put seafoam in my bike numerous times, it never helped with those kind of little issues. It probably wasn't doing any harm, but it always did one thing: A few minutes after cold start the valve train made loud tapping noises until it got to operating temperature. It kept doing that one every cold start for a couple of weeks and then slowly went away. Put seafoam in again, same phenomenon re-appeared. Left seafoam out for half a year, the noise didn't come back. Put it in again, phenomenon re-appeared. I quit using seafoam, no more noise.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:24:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wondering if this is normal throttle response

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.