Send Topic Print
Up and rolling. (Read 153 times)
EricTheRed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Up and rolling.
08/31/10 at 08:06:04

Took the Savage to the dealer, they went over the carb and now it starts and idles well, also swapped the handlebars for a wider set so I can see behind me in the mirrors.  But.. the throttle response is unpredictable, the ride is still not smooth, and there seems to be a lot of noise in the top of the engine when I get up to cruising speed.  Is this normal?  It's been 30 years since I owned a bike, but I remember them running smoother and quieter than this. Around town it's not to bad but once I hit 50 mph its disturbing.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Up and rolling.
Reply #1 - 08/31/10 at 08:14:14

I've had about 14 different bikes.Yes this is the noisiest and the roughest riding of all of them.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/31/10 at 08:38:12

EricTheRed wrote on 08/31/10 at 08:06:04:
1.But.. the throttle response is unpredictable,
2.the ride is still not smooth,
3.and there seems to be a lot of noise in the top of the engine when I get up to cruising speed... 50 mph its disturbing.  

I need a little more discription of what is happening.
On 1, is it surging? throttle held steady yet you feel like you are riding a hobby horse.
Or lagging?  you twist the throttle and nothing happens then whoa nellie she takes off on ya.
In either case, carb clean or add seafoam to your tank.
2. is in relation to 1 or are you complaining about suspension?
3.Ah sweet cacaphony, savage is thy name.  Noises come from several areas, speedo, headlight, various covers, etc.  Place your hand on various bits and see if the noise disapates.  Usually it's your savage trying to tell this bit is about to fall off, so don't let it go to long.

WWW   IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #3 - 08/31/10 at 10:48:49

Savage = Diamond...in the rough

IP Logged
EricTheRed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/31/10 at 11:09:02

Yes Verslagen1 both surging while cruising and lagging when I give it throttle.  I ran some carb cleaner through it, can't find seafoam around here, didn't help.  It sounds like shaking a paint can full of bolts, I'm starting to worry about my cam chain.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/31/10 at 11:40:53

The lagging is caused by a sticky slide, if the shop cleaned it for you, then they didn't wipe off their fingerprints when they put it back together, yes it's sensitive.

The speedo makes some wierd noises, so that's my bet.  You can disconnect the speedo cable as a test.  But more than likely, it's the springs or the case itself rattling against the tank which is a wonderful amplifier.

Cam chain noises can be a loose chain grinding against the case, but generally you hear a tap by you right ankle from the adjuster getting ready to let go.  You'll be able to feel it right above the rear end of the filter cover.

WWW   IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #6 - 08/31/10 at 11:50:13

Get to a higher speed then hit the clutch and let the rev go down while the bike still travels at high speed, does the noise go away or stay the same? If it is the speedo, the noise should remain. If it's related to internal engine, like valves, the noise should really subside. At least that's what I would think Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/31/10 at 14:11:52

"Throttle response" was difficult to guess, before I took the slack outta the throttle cable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 08/31/10 at 15:37:10

also valve noise the "looser" end of spec adjustment theyre noisy..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
EricTheRed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/01/10 at 03:32:35

Awesome, thanks guys.  So it's not about to spontaniously disassemble on me. I'll adjust the valves and look for slack in the throttle cable and lean out the mixture screw a little.  I'm trying to get a sportster tank off my cousin and have a buddy at the dealership pricing a speedo off a dirt bike that runs off the front wheel.  I mostly just chug around town and on back roads on sunny days but sometimes you have to get on the highway and keep up with traffic.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:26:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Up and rolling.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.