Power Probs (Read 308 times)
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Power Probs
08/30/10 at 12:09:08

I have some issues, well, I meant with my bike.  It is kind of similar to the thread on Carb Confusion, but not quite.  Soooo, here is the problem.  I've got a Suzuki Savage 650.

My bike is idling really rough and dies on me at stop signs and such if I dont keep a bit of throttle.  It pops alot, on shut down and during down shifts.  Now today, on my way to work when I got to the first big hill it was like it had no power.  I was in the highest gear she's got, throttle cranked as far as it would go and I was doing maybe 40 mph when I got to the top of the hill.  The engine wasnt racing, it was just like the throttle wasnt even there.  So I turned around, and going back home (downhill) she took right off and went up to 60 mph.  Humm, so I turned around (again) and went back uphill.....same problem.  Any ideas?  I wanna ride everyday I can, fall/winter isnt that far away.   Embarrassed

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Power Probs
Reply #1 - 08/30/10 at 12:13:26

Have ya tried it on prime?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 08/30/10 at 12:37:21

Did you shift down to 4th while going uphill?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #3 - 08/30/10 at 12:47:53

Hummm, no & no.  I didnt think about down shifting while I was going uphill.  It just gradually started losing speed/power and I was going up the hill.  I cranked the throttle back and forth but it didnt seem to react at all.  When I did that going downhill, I could feel the bike surge ahead and then slow down. Uggh.  

What would setting it on prime do? I know it runs richer, is that the prob?  I rode my bike sat to my sisters house about 40 miles away.  And back, of course.  Seemed fine at the time.  The funny part was it was dark when I left to head home and my mom (who was there too) asks me "How can you go home in the dark?"  Its called a headlight mom.  Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/30/10 at 12:51:37

Test your petcock,... here's how... Wink...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 08/30/10 at 12:58:37

Put some Sea Foam in your gas tank I think that will fix your problem.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 08/30/10 at 13:09:11

Angie wrote on 08/30/10 at 12:47:53:
Hummm, no & no.  I didnt think about down shifting while I was going uphill.  It just gradually started losing speed/power and I was going up the hill.  I cranked the throttle back and forth but it didnt seem to react at all.  When I did that going downhill, I could feel the bike surge ahead and then slow down. Uggh.  

What would setting it on prime do? I know it runs richer, is that the prob?  I rode my bike sat to my sisters house about 40 miles away.  And back, of course.  Seemed fine at the time.  The funny part was it was dark when I left to head home and my mom (who was there too) asks me "How can you go home in the dark?"  Its called a headlight mom.  Grin

Our Mom's must be related!!   Grin

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/30/10 at 16:01:05

Angie wrote on 08/30/10 at 12:09:08:
My bike is idling really rough and dies on me at stop signs and such if I dont keep a bit of throttle.  It pops alot, on shut down and during down shifts.  

You need to adjust your Idle mixture for the shut down pop, 1/8 to a 1/4 turn will get it from a kerpow to a poof.
Check your header bolts and muffler clamp for the shift pop.

Angie wrote on 08/30/10 at 12:09:08:
Now today, on my way to work when I got to the first big hill it was like it had no power.  I was in the highest gear she's got, throttle cranked as far as it would go and I was doing maybe 40 mph when I got to the top of the hill.  The engine wasnt racing, it was just like the throttle wasnt even there.

I'm assuming that it wasn't like that yesterday.  I agree with bill, seafoam as a 1st step of cleaning the carb, 2nd check the petcock by turning to prime during any problem with the engine, just remember to turn back to "on" when you park. 3rd, full cleaning of the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 08/30/10 at 16:25:10

And, just as "data gathering," if you use the Sea Foam let us know whether it works for you. Remember, in order to know what really does the job, you need to do one thing at a time.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #9 - 08/30/10 at 17:38:38

I did try the seafoam idear last week, didnt seem to make much difference.  I'll give the petcock on prime a try and see how that goes.  Thanks for all the advise, I'll keep you posted.  Wink

IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #10 - 08/30/10 at 17:45:07

I almost forgot something.  On that sliver box where the tools are supposed to be, I've noticed that is gets a film of some kind on it.  Kind of greasy/gritty, though the grit is prolly road dust.  From reading the link about testing the petcock, that all kind of sounds like that diaphram might be the prob.  Again, I'll keep you posted. Smiley

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 08/30/10 at 18:00:38

Could be the air filter if you drive and gravel or dusty roads.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 08/30/10 at 18:12:03

Good point about the air filter being plugged up -- betcha you've never changed it.

If you do, tell the dealership you want the old filter back when they are done -- I wants it fer experimentation purposes.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1183640744

or who knows, mebbe you could do yours ....

Grin     Grin      Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/30/10 at 20:16:35

Angie wrote on 08/30/10 at 17:45:07:
I almost forgot something.  On that sliver box where the tools are supposed to be, I've noticed that is gets a film of some kind on it.  Kind of greasy/gritty, though the grit is prolly road dust.  From reading the link about testing the petcock, that all kind of sounds like that diaphram might be the prob.  Again, I'll keep you posted. Smiley

most likely oil with road dust.
can be blowing off the speedo cable.  but check for the head plug leak.

WWW   IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #14 - 09/07/10 at 06:36:53

Agggh!  Set the petcock to prime, and it made no improvement.  I did try down shifting while I was going along and as soon as I pulled the clutch in the engine reved up.  Is the clutch not fully engaging the tranny or is it the tranny?  darn this is frustrating.   Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:30:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Power Probs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.