Send Topic Print
Fuel leak at the cap. (Read 187 times)
SuperX
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fuel leak at the cap.
08/30/10 at 03:47:39

I discovered after topping off the tank on my recently purchased 2003 Savage that gas leaks from the cap seal when the tank is full.  Have not had a chance to closely inspect the cap but before digging into it was wondering if this is a common problem.  Is there and adjustment in the cap latch that can be made to make a tighter seal or do I need to replace a gasget or washer in order to seal it up?

IP Logged
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Fuel leak at the cap.
Reply #1 - 08/30/10 at 04:29:51

How high did you fill it?  The manual says you shouldn't go above the bottom of the fill tube.  The only time I've ever had problems on my 2007 is when I went above the bottom lip.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #2 - 08/30/10 at 05:12:59

The tank vents through the cap. If you fill it to the top (or real close to top) of fill tube, it will leak from the cap. I find that I can fill to the middle of the fill tube without gas leaking, but that also depends on how hot it is.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 08/30/10 at 06:30:06

You might be interested in this thread.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1262920654

I've only had mine leak once.  I think I over-filled it, pulled out from the gas station pretty quickly and gas covered my leg.  Never have the problem if I don't over-fill.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 08/30/10 at 06:59:23

or only turn left...

i straddle the bike and keep er level while fueling...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
SuperX
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/30/10 at 07:34:59

I have been fueling with it on the sidestand but only to the bottom of the standpipe.  the gas pours out the rt side of the cap and runs down the side of the tank when I stand it upright and while riding.  I have to fuel well below in order for this not to happen.  Even with the tank venting through the cap, it appears to me to be leaking quite excessively.

IP Logged
SuperX
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/16/10 at 03:31:24

Problem solved!  I employed the spud washer fix per Boule'tard's instructions (very helpful step by step).  The toughest part was finding the proper spud washer.  A quick cutting of the flange with a sharp exacto and it was ready to install.  My suggestion is to cut very slight notches in the washer where it makes contact with the nubs on the inside of the cap.  not doing so causes the washer to be slightly deformed by these nubs which may work it's way out on it's own but I didn't want to take a chance.  
 I had a running fuel leak out the side of the tank and now it's sealed tight!!  Thanks Boule'tard!!

KB

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/16/10 at 03:50:52

A spud washer? Whats a spud washer?

I always thot a spud washer was the guy who cleaned the taters before someone else peeledthem.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 09/16/10 at 05:48:18

I was told that using Sea Foam would help keep the rubber gasket pliable and would eliminate the leak. It didn't work for me, though. I usually fill the tank to the bottom of the neck, with the bike on the sidestand (because I think it is unsafe to stay on the bike while fuelling it), then before I put the cap back on I raise the bike to level and "burp" the tank. That seems to allow a bubble to escape, and usually solves the problem.

Just one of the many "character traits" that seems to define the Savage Experience.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 09/16/10 at 05:50:23

SuperX wrote on 09/16/10 at 03:31:24:
Problem solved!  I employed the spud washer fix per Boule'tard's instructions (very helpful step by step).  The toughest part was finding the proper spud washer.  A quick cutting of the flange with a sharp exacto and it was ready to install.  My suggestion is to cut very slight notches in the washer where it makes contact with the nubs on the inside of the cap.  not doing so causes the washer to be slightly deformed by these nubs which may work it's way out on it's own but I didn't want to take a chance.  
 I had a running fuel leak out the side of the tank and now it's sealed tight!!  Thanks Boule'tard!!

KB

Glad to hear it worked for you.  Thanks for letting us know.  Happy Riding!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/16/10 at 05:51:32

I tookmy cap apart & slipped ashim in to make the rubber tighter. Makes getting it off & on a bit of a test,but I was tired of Gas on my leg.I have always been careful about how far I filled it,but it leaked anyway. I did notice that burping it decreased the problem.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
qp
YaBB Newbies

Salt Lake City
Reply #11 - 09/17/10 at 14:42:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/16/10 at 03:50:52:
A spud washer? Whats a spud washer?

I always thot a spud washer was the guy who cleaned the taters before someone else peeledthem.

A spud washer is used when mounting a urinal to a wall, it is shaped like a top hat without the top, about 2-3 inches across. The washer material is about 1/8 to 3/16 thick.

Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 09/17/10 at 15:14:42

Thanks for that

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 10/17/10 at 21:40:52

Charon wrote on 09/16/10 at 05:48:18:
I was told that using Sea Foam would help keep the rubber gasket pliable and would eliminate the leak. It didn't work for me, though.....

Hi Charon,

If you're looking for a grease that will be friendly to the rubber and not be washed off by gasoline, try Krytox RFE.  I used some on the gas cap gasket of another bike I own and it works great.  Spendy, though (I got mine on eBay relatively cheap).

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 01:21:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel leak at the cap.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.