Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Oil temps and usage comparison (Read 3374 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Oil temps and usage comparison
Reply #75 - 09/06/10 at 15:37:58

bill67 wrote on 09/06/10 at 15:09:36:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/29/10 at 17:19:55:
verslagen1 wrote on 08/29/10 at 16:32:00:
According to klotz...

Flash Point:      480°F (same for all mx4's)

But according to an independant test...

Flash Point:      385°F (10w40)

and after 12 hours in a raptor 700...

Flash Point:      305°F (more than likely due to 3.5% fuel contamination)

And from Shell's Rotella MSDS...

Flash Point:      435°F

B4 or after the 12 hr run?

here it is guys tell me about rotella in the blue bottle on the 12 hr run

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #76 - 09/06/10 at 16:27:38

Google search was Rotella T6 Raptor 700

About 3,790 results (0.38 seconds)
Search Results

Another Rotella-T oil Question. - Page 2 - Modded Yamaha Raptor Forums
     10 posts - 6 authors - Last post: Mar 28
     Let's talk facts... Yamaha calls for API service SE, SF, SG type or higher to be used in the Raptor 700. Rotella T6 is not only SM rated, ...
     www.moddedraptor.com/.../raptor-700.../11169-another-rotella-t-oil-question-2... - Cached
     Get more discussion results
     Welcome to the Shell Rotella Forum: Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic is ...
     5 posts - 5 authors - Last post: Jul 16
     FJR1300, R1, XR200, CBR929, VFR800, Rino700, Mule.... -Timm ... Now that Rotella T6 is JASO certified there are no doubts. Ride Safe! ... Posts: 1, I have a yamaha raptor 350 ATV for some reason my manual states. ...
     www.shellusserver.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb...1 - Cached
     alternative to yamalube - Bob Is The Oil Guy
     15 posts - 11 authors - Last post: Mar 5
     I run Rotella-T 15W40 in my Raptor 700, Wolverine 350 and Rhino. ... Thanks again I am going to try the t6 but was wondering why yamaha ...
     www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat... - Cached
     Rotella ?'s - Page 2 - Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com
     10 posts - 4 authors - Last post: Jun 28
     I'm running Rotella T6 5W40 Full syn in my Gixxer. I'm gonna run it in my LTR now ... I'm running it in both LTRs and my dads Raptor 700. ...
     www.ltr450hq.com/forums/general.../14107-rotella-s-2.html - Cached
     Synthetic oil back to conventional and Clutch question [Archive ...
     35 posts - 10 authors - Last post: Mar 15
     I have to run conventional in my 700 for a few more months and figured ... If it's a pure cost issue for you, Rotella T6 Synthetic is rated ...
     www.raptorforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-66345.html - Cached
     Rotella Oil? - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
     Sep 2, 2010 ... Ok, so i know some of you guys were/are using Rotella t-6 for your ... 08 700 SE XMF LT HID's. Livewire whip and some quads and a KTM ...
     www.rhinotalk.net/forums/yamaha-rhino.../7842-rotella-oil.html - Cached
     Amazon.com: Yamaha Raptor 700 Spiral Core Slip-on Exhaust: Automotive
     Amazon.com: Yamaha Raptor 700 Spiral Core Slip-on Exhaust: Automotive. ... All aluminum T6 muffler with welded brackets; CNC machined billet aluminum end cap with turn down ... 20w 40 rotella oil vs 10w 30 oem spec, 4, 3 hours ago ...
     www.amazon.com › ... › Parts › Exhaust › Mufflers - Cached - Similar
     Brand of Oil - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
     Apr 28, 2010 ... 2008 Attitude TH 06 raptor 734 09 Raptor 700 08 RZR 860 MCX Turbo ... rotella t6 5-40 with mobil 1 filter ...
     www.rzrforums.net/rzr-s-specific-discussion/28627-brand-oil.html - Cached
     help on picking the right oil - Honda ATV Forum
     Jul 9, 2010 ... My trail ride is a 07 GRIZZLY 700 ! 69quadracer is online now ... in synthetic . the rotella t6 full synthetic 5w40 is the same grade but in ...
     www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/.../4818-help-picking-right-oil.html - Cached
     Rotella T [Archive] - 600RR.net
     100+ posts - 75 authors - Last post: Feb 26
     you think oil that's 700 miles old doesn't break down much? ...... hey guys I just bought rotella, and its the rotella T6 blue container?.. ...
     www.600rr.net/vb/archive/index.php/t-100329.html - Cached

Well Bill,

..... there's only 3,770 remaining threads to look through to try to find you some dirt on Rotella T-6.    It IS a commonly used motorcycle and ATV oil, so you have lots & lots of turf to cover in your hunt.

Good luck there buddy ....

..... watch out for them big fish hooks and them nasty sharpened stakes a laying on the ground as you go squealin' wiggling & squirming along.    

Be real careful not to go sticking yourself on any new data while you are out there in web land.

Grin   Grin   Grin  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #77 - 09/06/10 at 16:52:08

I don't go around trying to fine some dirt on something,How come vergs says he testing to difference oils and and writes some dirt as you call it on one of the oils,Did you ever think when he started that anything else would be the winner to him other than Roteela  Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #78 - 09/06/10 at 17:50:09

Yup, I wuz plumb anxious when the data first started coming in ....

I figured the red stuff had to have some serious mojo going for it as Klotz two stroke DID have some really good properties that I was very well aware of.

But, as it turned out red stuff for 4 strokes apparently doesn't carry over the crown of excellence that Klotz had won as a two stroke oil, not in a Savage engine anyway.

It performs about SAME - SAME in the Savage engine (and I ain't a sweating me a few degrees of head temperature neither way).  

Same-same, it just costs a lot more and is a good bit more trouble to get a hold of.

Now, me teasing you with hillbillies and big fishhooks, now that's almost fair game in an oil war -- it motivates you to go find whatever you can to support your position.

So, what do you have for us?   Or has this oil war done peetered out due to lack of evidence on the opposing side?

===========================

Stroke your crystal ball and peer into it for a moment
---- two 6" Pyrex test tubes plumb full of freezer cold oil (one 15w50 Klotz and one 5w40 Rotella T6) with temperature thermocouples supported up in the last 1/2" of oil up in the top of each test tube, thermocouples that are hooked up to a three channel data recorder.  Everything starts out below zero degrees F .....  There is a third thermocouple recording the ambient freezer temperature, just for the giggles of it.

The two parallel Pyrex test tubes are dipped 1/2" deep into a pan of hot cooking oil that the third thermocouple is put down into to record the "ambient" hot oil bath temperature.  The oil is 350 degrees F.

Data is sampled 4 times a second, generating a temperature response curve for each oil type, both raw temperature change and factored against the bath ambient temperature.

What would it show?

The lower first number oil would respond quicker when very cold, and the lower second number oil would respond quicker when the temperature went up past room temperature.

Take the parallel test tubes out of the hot oil bath and put them back into the freezer (along with the ambient bath lead of course) with all 3 leads going out the freezer door to the data recorder to cut the curves for the cool down part of the test.

When still very hot, the lower second number oil would respond quicker on the cool down phase.  Once it drops below room temperature, the lower first number oil would respond quicker on the cool down phase.

What would this test likely prove?   That 5w40 Rotella T6 can suck heat out faster and dump it somewhere else quicker than 15w50 Klotz can?

But what news would this really be?  

That's the exact same SAE testing that put the silly weight numbers to the two different types of oil in the first place, just done slightly differently.

Then to add insult to injury, we would pour out the two oils when really really cold to see which one poured better ....

Hummmm .... Rotella T6 wins every test, doesn't it?

==============================

Bill, what can you figure out for a test that would show your 15w50 Klotz to have some sort of advantage?

Logically, it wastes more engine power due to its thicker viscosity, it transfers heat less effectively (same reason) and it costs a bunch more to buy it and ship it to your house.

What's that red stuff good for again?

You gotta figure out SOMETHING it is good at.

(or I think you done lost this oil war too)

Wink

==========================

JOG, I think that explains your question about why the Klotz head temperatures run hotter yet the Klotz in the sump runs about the same temperature (give or take a degree or three) -- it simply doesn't pick up head heat as quickly nor does it dump what heat it does pick up very effectively nor very quickly either.   Remember the ratio of the amount of oil in the sump to the amount of oil circulating through the head is about 50 to 1 volume-wise so the sump being 3 degrees hotter is the result of the small volume of 10-13 degree hotter oil coming back down from head into the 50 times more massive constantly churning sump mass and then slowly losing that heat to the outer cases.  

Slowly is the key term here,  on both ends of the heat exchange situation.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #79 - 09/06/10 at 18:14:19

Of I just want to know one thing whats the flash point of rotella when run 12 hours in a raptor.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #80 - 09/06/10 at 18:24:28

It's out there Bill, go get it.

Or go find something else to support your position.

Something that Klotz 15w50 is good at.

Anything

..... and if you can't find it, Bill, that means you are pretty durn slack as we have all easily found it in a very logical place and have studied it and are including its data in our posts.

.... or you can jest sit there and make lots of noise and squirm and wiggle until you get that hook so firmly embedded in your fundament that you'll never get it out.

« Last Edit: 09/09/10 at 02:36:09 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #81 - 09/06/10 at 18:25:22

what the hell is going on here?

I go ride a harley for a half hour and OF fires a broadside of data at Ol'  Bill the dataless.  And what a resounding reply... I think it was a handful of dirt?  Dirt?

hey, OF, when you clean the dirt off your boots can you sift thru all that... hmmm... dirt? and find some independent lab reports?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #82 - 09/06/10 at 18:31:49

Nope, I ain't doing Bill's job for him.

There is nothing "for" Klotz anyway that is factual and not "I think" kinda stuff, I've looked lots of times.

And if Bill was looking, he'd go to a technical site like Bob's or the Shell Rotella T6 spec site as the shear rates and viscosity/time tables for Rotella are well known.

(can't say that for Klotz -- its a secret like everything else about it)

Curious, what wuz you riding a Hurley for?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #83 - 09/06/10 at 19:06:00

bill67 wrote on 09/06/10 at 10:15:36:
Klotz wins    Less oil consumption,More horsepower with the better seal,Cooler running oil compared to the engine temperature.

here it is again I guess you forgot who won the oil test.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #84 - 09/06/10 at 19:17:13

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/06/10 at 18:31:49:

Curious, what wuz you riding a Hurley for?

Cause it pulled up in my driveway.
I was all hunkered down balancing my new tire and up rolls a custom harley.  Real bad handling problem.  It wanted to make U turn every turn, you fought it all the way thru, no rear brakes, tire from the dark side, 205/60.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #85 - 09/06/10 at 19:20:51

bill67 wrote on 09/06/10 at 19:06:00:
bill67 wrote on 09/06/10 at 10:15:36:
Klotz wins    Less oil consumption,More horsepower with the better seal, Cooler running oil compared to the engine temperature.

here it is again I guess you forgot who won the oil test.

You actually going to say that? F the engine, oils fine?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #86 - 09/06/10 at 19:39:15

Cool lab tests. Excellent work. Thanks for the answers.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #87 - 09/06/10 at 19:41:01

Lemme go look at that data again ....    hmmmm

Bill, once again you are permitting blatant untruths to issue forth from your fingers.

How do you justify this combined statement of yours?

Oil consumption was Same-Same

Klotz didn't make any extra power

Klotz couldn't remove heat from the head as effectively (14 deg. higher) and what little it did remove tended to remain in the sump rather than exit out freely through the cases (3 deg. higher).  Klotz 15w50 has thermal transfer issues compared to Rotella T6.

The choices are:

1) Bill can't read a spreadsheet

2) Bill doesn't care about truth or honesty

3) Bill is delusional -- he just sees what he wants to see
       that there evil Klotz potion has him in a fairy glamour

4) Bill believes in the BIG LIE -- repeat it endlessly like a crooked politician does and some sucker is born every minute
    that will believe your repeated lies.

5) Bill has just felt the cold sharp kiss of the big hook going thru his underwear -- he is in a terror filled trembling panic.

6) We are all so stupid we can't see it (my hindsight is 20-20 you know)

« Last Edit: 09/09/10 at 02:38:03 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #88 - 09/06/10 at 19:45:56

I don't recall seeing any link to any test involving Rotella and a Raptor. There was a link to oil analysis on Bel-Ray Thumper 20w-50 and Klotz MX-4 10w-40. The flash point on the Klotz had dropped, and that change was attributed to fuel contamination. Pour fuel in any lube oil, used or new, and the flash point will drop because of the volatility of the fuel.

The line about "cooler running oil in relation to the engine" is pure foolishness. Both the oil and the engine ran hotter, with the only change being the oil. The part about "More horsepower with the better seal" appears to be pure speculation.

Come on, bill67. You have made a lot of allegations about the superiority of Klotz. You have referred to Klotz as "zero wear oil" but have shown us no measurements and no details of the tests run. You have offered no proof whatsoever for any of your claims. Let's see some actual links, or the results of YOUR testing.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #89 - 09/06/10 at 19:56:33

I explained it to you guys if you don't understand I can't help it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:34:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil temps and usage comparison

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.