Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 
Send Topic Print
Oil temps and usage comparison (Read 3374 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Oil temps and usage comparison
Reply #180 - 10/25/10 at 11:18:28

bill67 wrote on 10/25/10 at 10:59:43:
Did anyone on here believe when Verg started this that he would have any other oil win but his favorite,I believe his test were done at the keyboard.

Ya know, I believe ol' bill67 done called Verslagen a liar. Of course, I suppose I could possibly be misintepreting what he said. I also note bill67 has never posted any of the results of his own tests, either, probably because he has never run any.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #181 - 10/25/10 at 11:32:21

Puts Verslagen in good company doesn't it?  

Bill has called both me and you a liar in past oil wars too, if memory serves correctly.

Me, I think good ol' Bullshooter Bill is a lot better moniker for our buddy Bill -- a liar is both malicious and he knows that he is lying, something that you cannot convince me is true about Bill.

Wink    He believes what he says when he says it

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #182 - 10/25/10 at 11:36:52

Hey Charon,

You are currently running Rotella T dino aren't you?

How could we test the stuff in some authenticate-able fashion against its full synthetic brother?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #183 - 10/25/10 at 12:06:32

I have Rotella 15W-40 conventional oil in my S40, and Rotella 5W-40 synthetic in my 250 Ninja. To be truthful, I cannot tell the difference, if any, from the 10W-40 Havoline I had in them before. I just did the 7500 mile service on the S40, and all the valves were spot on. Unfortunately, I had not written down their clearances when I did them before, so cannot say whether they changed.

I have been thinking about a repeatable test for some time. I have a Craftsman 2500 watt generator with a Briggs 5 hp engine in it. I thought about loading it with 2500 watts of electric heaters, putting a small tank (I have a 1-quart tank from an old Snow Pup) on it, and plugging an electric clock into it. My idea is to put in whatever oil I wanted to test, fill the tank, start the engine and apply the load, then note the total run time as taken from the electric clock (which would stop when the engine ran out of fuel). The idea is that, if there are any frictional differences, the engine will run for more or less time. I also want to figure out a way to measure temperatures, since I don't have an IR temp gun. One thought is to drill a thermometer-stem-sized hole in the plastic fill cap and stick a thermometer through the hole directly into the oil. I am still pondering logistics, including the Briggs instruction saying not to use 10W-40 oils. The obvious criticism is that the engine isn't a motorcycle engine, so the test isn't even applicable.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #184 - 10/25/10 at 12:19:30

Charon wrote on 10/25/10 at 11:18:28:
bill67 wrote on 10/25/10 at 10:59:43:
Did anyone on here believe when Verg started this that he would have any other oil win but his favorite,I believe his test were done at the keyboard.

Ya know, I believe ol' bill67 done called Verslagen a liar. Of course, I suppose I could possibly be misintepreting what he said. I also note bill67 has never posted any of the results of his own tests, either, probably because he has never run any.

The mileage I put on my bike in a month is more than ol' Billshutter does in a year.  He said he does 5 miles a day (probably to get the mail) times 6 days times 4 weeks times 6 months.  That's 720 miles a year.  That's if he even has a savage.  

« Last Edit: 10/25/10 at 13:44:19 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #185 - 10/25/10 at 13:47:45

Your close 710 miles a year.I have a Boulevard S40.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #186 - 10/25/10 at 13:56:13

I've got a dual channel recording thermocouple device I could stick on my Savage so I could take a data paired hit of air temp against a hit of head temp or sump temp taken at the exact same instant.   But only one paired item could be taken at a time as I only have 2 channels.

Which would be the better or more useful data?  Head or sump temp?  

I'd excel subtract the paired data against each other to generate a delta temperature value, which should take out air temp as a variable completely, just yielding a performance temperature plot of the geographic/speed variable contained by the trip.

This would only be short term duration data (although it would last for a fast single distance run of say 3-5 minutes which is my longest local "haul ass full speed" distance between two stop signs).

Which would be better data, accelerating around the same turns or an interstate run of a single steady fixed speed?  

Free riding, even on the same course would put operator influence into play (conscious or unconscious, you take your pick).

The fixed speed interstate run would be more even handed and could "stretch out" the 8,000 paired data points by increasing the time interval in between readings to cover a much longer run time.  Say, the run from Fayetteville to Raleigh, which is about 40 minutes at full interstate speeds.

Thoughts?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #187 - 10/25/10 at 14:03:28

I would say oil temperature because with a better oil (Klotz) you will have higher head temperature because of better piston ring seal.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #188 - 10/25/10 at 14:09:00

Bill, at 710 miles per year, how many years do you go between oil changes?

=====================

Another mix might be take sump temp and head temp and get the matched pair delta between oil and head as Verslagen's data indicates that this delta shows a more "regular" variation between oil brands than any other combination.

As such, it is more "sensitive" as an indicator.  Plus we get the raw data for both the head and the sump and I can spot check the ambient air temp at the beginning and end of each run and use the average of the two to give me the generalized air ambient temp to apply where needed.  Then we could generate head over air, another delta data set that showed brand differences clearly.

Still, we would only get relatively short term data -- Verslagen collected month long data spans and averaged them to get some significant accuracy over time.

One of the things that would get shaken out by doing Rotella T against RotSyn would be to test two oils that are 40w when hot -- I think we have a lot of oil weight differences showing up in what we have now rather than simple brand determine data.

Thoughts?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #189 - 10/25/10 at 14:13:45

bill67 wrote on 10/25/10 at 14:03:28:
I would say oil temperature because with a better oil (Klotz) you will have higher head temperature because of better piston ring seal.

So with your measurement of what's better... Amsoil wins, hotter is better.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #190 - 10/25/10 at 14:23:39

The only true test of oil would be to put the the oil in same engines run for and hour and then drain the oil,start up again and see which engine runs the longest before it quits.Maybe Charon will do this for us.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #191 - 10/25/10 at 14:29:36

Bill, that's kinda silly -- how are you going to do the second run of testing in the same engine after you just scrapped it out in the first test?

Either you didn't think it through, or you are just being obstinate and silly.  

Besides, nobody runs an engine w/out oil in it on purpose.  Especially our Savage engine with plain aluminum cam bearings in it (instant stupid death to run w/out oil pressure).

Huh

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #192 - 10/25/10 at 14:38:38

3 different engines

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #193 - 10/25/10 at 16:42:20

I'd have to say the idea that the best oil is the one which protects an engine for the longest after the oil has been drained is pretty silly - even stupid. After all the oil is designed to protect the engine while still in place. That also tells me there is no point in running any further tests to convince bill(My mind is made up - don't confuse me with facts)67. But I'd be happy to run that test if bill67 will supply the engines.

As a matter of interest, Briggs & Stratton did run a similar test years ago. I don't remember what the additive was, but B&S took two sequential engines off their production line. They ran one with their recommended oil; the other with their oil plus the additive for some period of time (24 hours comes to mind). They then drained the oil from both engines and ran them (to failure? I'm not sure). The engine with the additive showed more damage than the one without. I am sure some research on the Web will find the details.

I was also interested to note bill67's comments that Klotz runs cooler and gives more horsepower, along with his comment that because the Klotz provides a better piston ring seal the head temperature will be higher. There seems to be a contradiction, somewhere.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #194 - 10/25/10 at 16:54:03

What I said was pretty silly, It was about as silly as Briggs & Stratton doing the same thing,Most wear on and engine is on start up so the test would show which oil that would have less wear on start up.Head temperature and oil temperature are 2 different things,oil shows how hot the over all engine is,And thats were the wear comes in ,Its not in the head.Because the head is hotter doesn't mean the engine is.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:25:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil temps and usage comparison

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.