Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15
Send Topic Print
Oil temps and usage comparison (Read 3374 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Oil temps and usage comparison
Reply #165 - 10/25/10 at 05:55:59

Lupo, all readings are taken over the same route at the same speed.  Same stop point, same instrument, same sensing locations.

All readings are stated as DELTA temperatures, as in head temp minus ambient air temp so the daily temp variations are all accounted for in the collection method.

Actually, you are coming in at the very tail end of a year long event accomplished over about 3 oil war sessions -- any easy "error causes" such as you are referring to got factored out long ago and in some cases the data had to be retaken to the improved system.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #166 - 10/25/10 at 05:57:59

Bill, you can brag that Klotz is better than Amisol in the Savage engine.

Verslagen,  oil usage amounts -- what is the final comparison between the oils?

Logic would try to say there should be some difference somehow, but what was it?

You know the length of your trip and the period of time each test took in days, so a useage per mile (or miles per quart) might be possible to generate.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #167 - 10/25/10 at 06:05:00

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/25/10 at 05:55:59:
Lupo, all readings are taken over the same route at the same speed.  Same stop point, same instrument, same sensing locations.

All readings are stated as DELTA temperatures, as in head temp minus ambient air temp so the daily temp variations are all accounted for in the collection method.

Actually, you are coming in at the very tail end of a year long event accomplished over about 3 oil war sessions -- any easy "error causes" such as you are referring to got factored out long ago and in some cases the data had to be retaken to the improved system.

Data had to be retaken if it didn't work out the way Vergy wanted it to work Grin Grin Grin

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #168 - 10/25/10 at 06:07:09

Charon was the only one who asked for any redo Bill, and he had a good technical reason to suggest it.   He wasn't in the dogfight like you were.

PS  pass the salt shaker please,   here comes the oil usage data .....

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #169 - 10/25/10 at 06:42:35

Hey theres no oil comparison done with Schaeffers ??  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

ps... its a joke son dontchya gettit?   Umm DONT use Schaeffers in wet sumps ...fyi...

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #170 - 10/25/10 at 08:05:53

Data was collected until 1 gal. of oil was used.
Each round trip is 50 miles, half of which was in brutal summer heat, and did I slow down?  Not cause it was hot.  Last ~10 miles was 30 to 40 mph due to traffic.

30 days would be 6 weeks to consume 2 quarts at 50 miles per day.
750 miles per qt. durring the summer.
And nearly none during the winter with the same daily mileage weather permitting.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #171 - 10/25/10 at 08:26:34

Any differential between oil brands?    I know that consumption was what drove you to trying the different oils, looking for one that ran longer before exiting out the well worn engine.

===========================

I know you don't like dino oil.   I don't like it either.   Seems a dumb bet not to have the hi-temp proof advantage of a synthetic oil.

But ....  next hot season you could run a test on dino RotT 15w40 as you actually replace a quart so fast it would never even get broken in good before it was replaced by the next quart.

You know you have no issues with overheating (you've been tracking your bike's temps for over a year now).

I have me a burning curiosity itch as to the delta in performance between a known good dino and same brand synthetic (keeping the exact same brand on both) to see if syn really does perform better, or is it all bullshit hype that gets us into the $11 a quart oils?  

Curious minds want to know     Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #172 - 10/25/10 at 09:42:22

I put in T6 5W-40 in to try it, I could swear the valve train is a tad quiter. I will observe if the consumption is higher than with the Lucas 20W-50. If it's not, then I might even try to run it in 105 degree summers instead of the 20W-50.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #173 - 10/25/10 at 09:48:54

Grin

Bill,     do you suppose standard old dino 15W40 Rotella T might actually OUTPERFORM your magical red Klotz stuff in a Savage engine?

...... just think about it for the next 6-8 months or so 'till hot season comes around again ......  

...... by then we may actually KNOW !!!

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #174 - 10/25/10 at 09:56:43

No Klotz is my oil,It runs cooler,you get more horsepower,better gas mileage and zero wear, I don't use or burn any oil with Klotz,Thats good enough for me,Its worth the extra money.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #175 - 10/25/10 at 10:12:31

Now now Bill, you wouldn't want to confuse the casual readers -- Klotz runs cooler than AMISOL, yes, but it does not run cooler than RotSyn.

Rotella Syn beats the stuffing out of both of these expensive oils.

Grin

======================

Now the nasty salty painful question for next summer's test run is "Does standard old low cost dino Rotella T smack the crap out of Klotz?"  

I don't know if it will or not --- but you can roll the thought around in your mouth this winter for a while and judge what it might jest taste like when the bird poop hits the pallette late next spring to early summer .....

After all, you can buy a whole gallon of Rotella T for what one quart of Klotz costs.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #176 - 10/25/10 at 10:59:43

Did anyone on here believe when Verg started this that he would have any other oil win but his favorite,I believe his test were done at the keyboard.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #177 - 10/25/10 at 11:01:48

I have to agree, none were at the keyboard      Cheesy        (Bill fixed his little typo)

The excessive keyboard stuff is the forte of yet another list member, one that you may see fairly frequently in your travels around near where you live ....

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #178 - 10/25/10 at 11:03:04

I would use Amsoil before I would use Rotella,Theirs no doubt in my mine that its better.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #179 - 10/25/10 at 11:09:00

Why Bill, of course Amisol has to be better !!!

It costs 5 times as much, right?   Got to be better !!

They do roller scar size testing on it (an appropriate test for greases and heavy gearbox oils) to prove it is better, just like Klotz does.

Good stuff, but your Klotz beat it in an impartial test done on a Savage engine !!!   Stick with a weiner, don't change because of any factual information to the contrary !!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:25:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil temps and usage comparison

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.