Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Oil temps and usage comparison (Read 3374 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Oil temps and usage comparison
Reply #120 - 09/09/10 at 11:28:30

1980 moto guzzi, back when by wife road we put on 8000 per year,I worked 6 days a week,Never rode bike to work ,all riding nights and sundays.29 years ago I did the valves ,I guess.Adjusted valves in my 1949 chevy conv about 55 years ago.I owned it for 2 1/2 years the V50,You and Vergy do a lot of wrong guessing.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #121 - 09/09/10 at 11:30:12

Wonder if bill67 ever even checked the valves on his Japanese bikes? Because if he didn't check them, he had no way to know he didn't need to adjust them.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #122 - 09/09/10 at 11:35:43

Charon wrote on 09/09/10 at 11:30:12:
Wonder if bill67 ever even checked the valves on his Japanese bikes? Because if he didn't check them, he had no way to know he didn't need to adjust them.

I go by sound on the valves, So your right I never check the valves but I'm sure they were there.Any motorcycle mechanic can tell by sound if the valves need adjusting have you notice on here how many miles some have gone and checked their valves and they were OK,Good oil makes the difference.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #123 - 09/09/10 at 11:37:15

Yup, we can be wrong when we are guessing -- but you note that we always say bluntly when we are guessing so it is always clear.

(no confusion on what is real and what is not real from me or Verslagen -- plus we correct our goofs and are quick to 'fess up when we make one)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #124 - 09/09/10 at 11:38:44

I'm not going to argue with you, bill67, because I don't need any more personal attacks. But I don't think I'd ever buy a vehicle from you, either.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #125 - 09/09/10 at 11:38:48

So Charon when you do your valves record the sound and keep that in your Data Files.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #126 - 09/09/10 at 11:40:54

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/09/10 at 11:37:15:

Yup, we can be wrong when we are guessing -- but you note that we always say bluntly when we are guessing so it is always clear.

(no confusion on what is real and what is not real from me or Verslagen -- plus we correct our goofs and are quick to 'fess up when we make one)

1st Vergy say he was use twice as much klotz,Then he said he was using the same,No guessing there. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #127 - 09/09/10 at 11:47:06

Charon wrote on 09/09/10 at 11:38:44:
I'm not going to argue with you, bill67, because I don't need any more personal attacks. But I don't think I'd ever buy a vehicle from you, either.

Personal attacks you have to be kidding,I geared my GR650 1000 rpm lower than stock,I like 100 per cent gasoline,I use and have very good results with Sea Foam and Klotz engine oil and fork oil,And you say there all wrong Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked How old are you Charon.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #128 - 09/09/10 at 11:51:20

Added more use data for RotSynT6

According to klotz... Flash Point: 480°F (same for all mx4's)

But according to an independant test... Flash Point: 385°F (mx4 10w40)

and after 12 hours in a raptor 700... Flash Point: 305°F (mx4 10w40, 3.5% fuel contamination)

And from Shell's Rotella MSDS... Flash Point: 435°F (RotSynT6)

After 5500 miles in a Honda GW... Flash Point: 375°F (RotSynT6)

I think this would explain the reduced oil consumption for the RotSynT6 as the flash point (boiling poing) of 5500 mile oil is almost as good as the brand new Klotz.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #129 - 09/09/10 at 12:04:53

Bill, he clarified the change amounts and the adder amounts to make it clearer to the reader -- it was me and Justin that got the numbers wrong from our original first reading on how he wrote it out.

I 'fessed my interpretation mistake and went back and corrected all my posts -- as of right now all conclusions are Same-Same.

However ....

Let me guess the future -- Verslagen, in your last post are you us getting ready to tell us you used relatively more Klotz per mile than Same - Same with RotSyn T6?

(he'd just about have to since he had six quarts-- two to change out and remaining 4 quarts are getting used up inside of 3 months)

Grin

« Last Edit: 09/09/10 at 14:12:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #130 - 09/09/10 at 12:21:07

I'll have to review when I get home.
Believe I did...
8wks/2000 miles with RotSynT6, 4qts total.
6wks/1500 miles with Klotz, 4qts total.
2 qts intially with the remainder as makeup.

I had a discussion with my Nascar owner friend... put the oil cooler on.

Having just purchased amsoil, I will continue as is, but I think I will be putting it on in a month.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #131 - 09/09/10 at 12:23:50

Fair warning to all NEWBIES  ---- listening to Bullshooter Bill is DANGEROUS TO YOUR BIKE.

Bill <I go by sound on the valves, So your right I never check the valves but I'm sure they were there.Any motorcycle mechanic can tell by sound if the valves need adjusting> Bill

Bill's statement that "Any motorcycle mechanic can tell by sound if the valves need adjusting" is just plain false.

Any mechanic would tell you -- you can only spot an enlarged adjustment gap because of the extra clatter it makes.   Loose valves make extra noise, they but they don't kill engines.   It's tight valves that kill engines, and they make no tell tale audible signs that they are happening ....    

Plus, it is not uncommon for intake valves to go one way and exhaust valves to go the other way, with the noise from one covering the relative lack of noise from the other.

Yup, tight valves make no tell-tale noise to tell you the gap has gone under the recommended clearance amount and your valves are in danger of hanging open, overheating and eroding and burning seats, etc. when everything gets nice and hot when you are running at full interstate speeds.

A real mechanic takes the valve covers off when the engine is bone stone cold, sets the bike to top dead center on the compression stroke and uses feeler gauges to decide if valves are set correctly or not.

Grin

« Last Edit: 09/09/10 at 14:13:42 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #132 - 09/09/10 at 12:39:11

OF I think you should check your valves either tonight or tomorrow you never know you might have tight valve that you screwed up last week when you did the valves.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #133 - 09/09/10 at 12:43:17

verslagen1 wrote on 09/09/10 at 12:21:07:
I'll have to review when I get home.
Believe I did...
8wks/2000 miles with RotSynT6, 4qts total.
6wks/1500 miles with Klotz, 4qts total.
2 qts intially with the remainder as makeup.

I had a discussion with my Nascar owner friend... put the oil cooler on.

Having just purchased amsoil, I will continue as is, but I think I will be putting it on in a month.

Now the oil use went from twice as much to the same,Now its 25% more for the Klotz oil,Do you really think any one here believes you and that you were going to let your old faithful diesel oil lose,Yes the oil that already screw up your motor.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #134 - 09/09/10 at 12:45:29

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/09/10 at 12:04:53:

Bill, he clarified the change amounts and the adder amounts to make it clearer to the reader -- it was me and Justin that got the numbers wrong from our reading on how he wrote it out.

I 'fessed my interpretation mistake and went back and corrected all my posts -- as of right now all conclusions are Same-Same.

However ....

Let me guess the future -- Verslagen, in your last post are you us getting ready to tell us you used relatively more Klotz per mile than Same - Same with RotSyn T6?

(he'd just about have to since he had six quarts-- two to change out and remaining 4 quarts are getting used up inside of 3 months)

Grin

OF do you have any more Tall Tales you want to tell us.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:14:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil temps and usage comparison

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.