Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Oil temps and usage comparison (Read 3374 times)
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Re: Oil temps and usage comparison
Reply #105 - 09/08/10 at 06:51:25

Bill seems to be a fan of the straw man argument style.

Throw me down for a No for Klotz vote.

Not worth the extra $$$  for sure when Rotsysn works slightly better and is substantially cheaper.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #106 - 09/08/10 at 07:21:38

Charon wrote on 09/08/10 at 05:21:26:
I noticed while looking at Klotz's tech sheet for their MX-4 15w-50 oil that is is said to meet or exceed API and JASO MA requirements. Does the container actually have the JASO or API labels?

Verslagen, were you planning to test any other oils? I thought I saw a reference to Amsoil in there somewhere.

yes

a case of amsoil is on the way.  I got slightly better than their website price, but the Klotz was slightly cheaper.

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #107 - 09/08/10 at 07:40:17

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/08/10 at 02:36:41:
Wink     t'warn't worth the cost of the erl you used fer the few that cared

OF. I have not commented here, but I appreciate Versy for taking the time, effort, expense of doing the test.  I use the dino rotella.  There seems agreement it is good for us laid back types. I would be interested in comparison to that.  

So thanks versy!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #108 - 09/08/10 at 22:47:29

The 1st poll is closed.

Is Klotz 15w50 the winner?    2 (18.1%)
Is RotSynT6 the winner?    7 (63.6%)
Undecided.    2 (18.1%)

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #109 - 09/09/10 at 01:46:22

Preachermike,

White jug Rotella T dino 15w40 was the "oil of preference" for both the crotch rocket boys and the Goldwing guys for a lot of years until the blue jug stuff became available.   They still debate whether blue jug Rotsyn is really needed in their engines or not, so it is likely about the same situation that we have.  White jug Rotella T dino 15w40 is plenty good enough for a normal stock Savage engine and the use of synthetic oils is an optional preference for those who think they need it.

Does Verslagen or I truly really need to pay more to use a full synthetic oil in our Savages?

No, the Savage doesn't REQUIRE it -- but I have a personal quirk about only using synthetic oil in all my vehicles since I cooked me a crankcase of dino oil in a car and wound up scrapping the car because of the oil failure -- it ain't gonna happen to me again.

Side bar to that same thought flow -- there is a big issue going around inside Toyota car land about dino oils sludging up their engines -- Toyota has been sued saying this is a issue with their engines running hot and Toyota has a program to replace engines that sludge to failure within 150,000 miles or some such as a warranty issue.

In my opinion, Toyota should simply require the use of synthetic oils in their cars.   Corvette does require it, as do several other very high performance engine car makers.  If you know that is a requirement going in when you buy the car it would be a non-issue from that point forward.

the thought of pouring dino oil into a Lexus to build sludge up inside that precision engine just seems wrong to me

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin

PS  if that was the final vote and Bill has done lost this here oil war then it is time for his sentencing.

As the plaintiff, I request from the court that Bill be forced to GO CHECK HIS VALVES and then be forced TO TELL US TRUTHFULLY how far out of spec they were found to be before he adjusted them.  

At 5,000 plus miles, it is time his valves got some preventive maintenance done to them.   And the telling the truth part about the current clatter gaps will hurt Bill plenty enough, believe me.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #110 - 09/09/10 at 05:21:15

With Klotz Zero wear oil valves will still be OK at 50000 miles,look how many people that have check their valve and they were OK,All your going to get when you start taking things apart is oil leaks.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #111 - 09/09/10 at 05:36:32

Dream on Bill, dream on .... may reality never touch you with its clammy cold hands.  

Flat tappet screw & nut valve adjustment engines require periodic adjustment no matter what sort of oil you use.   If nothing else, the tulip heads pound their way into the valve seats over time, an impact type action which has nothing really to do with oil, period.

Of course at your present rate of mileage build up use it will take you a long time to ignore it to the eventual point where you sell off the bike "because it is acting odd" which is what you freely admit that you do with motorcycles.

Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin  

OK, we fall back to the second punishment.  

UNTIL YOU HAVE CHECKED YOUR VALVES AND REPORTED THE TRUTH ABOUT THE CURRENT LASH AMOUNTS FOUND BEFORE YOU ADJUSTED THEM, UNTIL THEN YOU ARE FORBIDDEN TO TOUT KLOTZ TO NEWBIES BY STATING UNSUBSTANTIATED OPINIONS AS FACT.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #112 - 09/09/10 at 05:48:02

Of I sell my bikes when I decide I want a difference bike,Not because of odd noises you talk about I have never heard odd noises from any bike I have had,But I don't believe in using cheap oil any any engine I have, even if its a $100 lawn mower.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #113 - 09/09/10 at 06:59:08

Bill forgot to mention that Klotz contains a percentage of Adamantium
That when used in his Savage provides a indestructible coating over all metal parts thus negating ANY and ALL regular scheduled maintenance.

With Klotz all regular properties of metal and physics are null and void.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #114 - 09/09/10 at 07:16:35

BTW, we're into the 5th qt of Klotz.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #115 - 09/09/10 at 08:13:02

I've never had a bike that used over a cup of oil in 5000 miles,and yes one had over 28000 mile,But I use motorcycle oil not cheap oil.No valves adjusted either.In the long run its best to use the best oil you can afford or you'll have a beater like Vergs.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #116 - 09/09/10 at 10:21:59

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1367272

Bob is the Oil Guy debate --- great debate over T6 being same base oil as Ferrari's top secret race car engine oil and being in fact good for use inside high performance car engines.  

Then the resulting "warranty arguments" over them GM cars are revealing as well as they hint how ZDDP was negotiated out of existing American car oils because GM wanted it done for their own reasons ....  
(got to follow all the thread references to get all the information they are referring to)

Lots of research, arguments, cross-referenced threads and good tech talk for those who can follow through all the convoluted cross references.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1367272

I see 'ol Bill is still a squealing and a squirming and a wiggling, even after we done put up the big hook once the final verdict was turned in  ....      
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Roll Eyes

BTW,    did Bill just admit right above that he has NEVER adjusted the valves in any motorcycle he has ever owned ????    
                                                                                                                                                                        wow   Undecided   right sad

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #117 - 09/09/10 at 10:39:03

I adjusted them on my V50 Moto Guzzi at 12000 miles Never had to on a Jap bike.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #118 - 09/09/10 at 10:40:54

verslagen1 wrote on 09/09/10 at 07:16:35:
BTW, we're into the 5th qt of Klotz.

What kind of oil was you using in your bike to get the engine in such bad shape,It couldn't have been diesel oil could it. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin     Rotella NO!

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #119 - 09/09/10 at 11:18:52

Let's see, V50 Guzzi's were made between 1977 and 1985 -- for the sake of argument let's go with the most modern one, 1985 vintage.

You only put 2,000 miles a year on a bike up where you live and you tend to buy new bikes and then you tend to run them until they act funny, so ....

You owned it for like over six years and only adjusted the valves ONCE during the whole time you owned it?

And the only time you adjusted a valve, ever, was at least, what ???  19-20 years ago?       I guessed wrong, it was 29 years ago

Cheesy

Now Bill, he's a testing out your claims of Klotz's magic healing powers  --    after 6 full quarts we'll have to disallow all of your claims for the magic properties part too .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:24:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil temps and usage comparison

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.