Send Topic Print
Battery Types (Read 107 times)
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Battery Types
08/27/10 at 15:59:41

A while back, I was having trouble with starting, and I cleaned the battery and terminals and things were fine.  When I reported that, I was asked if I had checked the water levels while I had it out, and when I said it was a sealed battery, some of the responses seemed quizzical about the fact that it was sealed.

Flash forward a couple months, and another issue got me to where I was going to remove the battery, so I looked very close while it was out.  The battery is from "Parts unlimited" and there is a strip of caps that you can remove, but there is also a sticker that says "NEVER ADD WATER - DO NOT REMOVE CAPS TO CHARGE".

Is that normal, or do I have an oddball battery

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Battery Types
Reply #1 - 08/27/10 at 16:59:13

The stock battery is a "maintenance needed" type.
So the 1st thing we assume, until told otherwise, is that's what it is.
Some are slower than others, and some don't read back.
and some don't have time to read back, so be confident in your answers and add salt where needed.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 08/27/10 at 18:45:28

Hard to tell what you mite have.
The big Crank is an AGM type battery.

There is the standard lead acid battery w/ caps

Then there is maintenence free, which is the same battery, but hold a little more acid so they can call it maint free, and sometimes have removable caps so you can add water, which you should, or else it will not last as long as it could.

Then you have AGM batteries, which the acid is absorbed in a glass mat, so it won't spill when laying on its side. Usually they are filled at the factory, and cannot ever be refilled, and normally never need to be.

But someone here reported buying an AGM battery that he had to fill himself, and then tape/seal it.

AGM are the way of the future, as they last longer, and have other advantages. But they are still expensive in the automotive/RV field.

And who knows that a newer technology wont take over any day.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 08/27/10 at 18:56:12

Tanker2Biker wrote on 08/27/10 at 15:59:41:
A while back, I was having trouble with starting, and I cleaned the battery and terminals and things were fine.  When I reported that, I was asked if I had checked the water levels while I had it out, and when I said it was a sealed battery, some of the responses seemed quizzical about the fact that it was sealed.

Flash forward a couple months, and another issue got me to where I was going to remove the battery, so I looked very close while it was out.  The battery is from "Parts unlimited" and there is a strip of caps that you can remove, but there is also a sticker that says "NEVER ADD WATER - DO NOT REMOVE CAPS TO CHARGE".

My Suzuki 1500 has a battery that has a strip with caps I pulled it off and added water because it was low and haven't had any problems with it,In the last 6 months,The battery is 6 years old.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 08/27/10 at 20:41:31

Tanker2Biker wrote on 08/27/10 at 15:59:41:

I'd say that battery is a normal, maintenance-free type.

I'd leave the caps on it.  If it's like the maintenance-free batteries I buy, you just add electrolyte once, when the battery is new.  You pop the cap strip on after that and leave it on there for the duration.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/28/10 at 09:21:00

Theres 3 battery types.

Charged & discharged

If yours is discharged then theres

will recharge

or

wont recharge

So, theres charged

will recharge

wont recharge

There, 3 battery types..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:25:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery Types

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.