WHOOOOPPSS? (Read 295 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: WHOOOOPPSS?
Reply #15 - 08/26/10 at 16:29:51

Skid Mark wrote on 08/26/10 at 15:33:15:
Have come real close on roads that slant to the side. One must remember to put you foot down on the high side of the road when comming to a stop.
There's a lot of air on the low side.

You're lucky the bikes have low seats now,When I started they were all about 32 inches high me being 5'6" had to wear cowboy boots and was still on tip toes at stop lights,You pull off the the road and as soon as the bike stopped you had to like jump off to the left side or you be be down.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #16 - 08/26/10 at 16:49:47

I hear ya Bill. I'm 5'5" and wear boots. Even with the low seat I get the feet down flat, but there's not much extra for goof ups. The c50 can be a grunt to get back up when it's tilted too far. Thankfully I haven't hit the point of no return yet.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 08/27/10 at 01:37:55

I saw a guy who must have been all of 4'6" riding an M50. He jumped off the seat at a light & his right thigh was across the seat. I thot he was nuts. Glad he was out & riding, I just think a smaller bike woulda been a better choice. Id really like to be riding a 1,000 CC machine( some days), I just think it would be more bike than I could safely handl;e. &, I think the bike he chose was more ( Not in terms of power, but sheer mass) than he could safely deal with.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #18 - 08/27/10 at 02:10:37

Id got tossed a time or two when i used to ride enduros hill climbing, jumping, chaseing cows ect. Been peachy on the S40...so far.

Had'nt got a good ride in for about 10 days, thought id take one yesterday.
Started off rough. Comeing out of my driveway i get two turkeys running across the driveway.(live in the woods)
Tap the front brake and hit the only loose gravel in the driveway, let off and recover.
Kinda get 'that feeling' that maybe it aint a good day to ride. Naahhh!
(I usualy listen to my 6th sense).

Ride on to moms and check on her and the girls, tell em im going for a decent ride.
(county repaved the road this summer and left the edge about 6-8 inchs high. I got a spot kinda sloped off i take the bike up.)
Started her up and popped her in gear like ive done so many times before. Front wheel over the edge then the back wheel.
About that time i seem to remember the bike dieing! POOF!
Try to get the right leg down, cant touch, bike goes over and i hit head first then the shoulder then the bike on top of me.
Well Cr@p! Im looking in the right mirror thinking well it didnt break off. Then i think gas leak and hot engine. Well double cr@p, legs pinned. Yank the foot out from under the bike, hop up grab the bars and seat and stand her up. 6ft 200lb farm boy so no problem there.

Check her out and i scratched up the lower side of the muffler, cant really see it. Bent the fricken front brake lever and spilled a lil gas. No lights broke off and no dents, got lucky...i cushoned the bikes fall!
Took it home, straightened the brake lever and checked her over again.
Then parked her! Should of listened to that lil voice!

Right forearm is a bit sore, left side of my neck and back of right shoulder is sorer then chit. Right side of my hard head is a bit touchy to where i hit. Didnt even scratch the helmet.
Guess you could call it a 10mph highside...lol
Odd thing is i busted the 'inside' lcd screen on my phone in its protective case. Outside screen and body aint got a scratch????
New phone now i guess.

Took a ride today to town, first couple miles was feeling every lil bump n rut in the road. Relaxed after that and started trying to scrape pegs again...lol
Never had the bike die on me like that. All i can figure is 'possibly' when the rear wheel hit the high edge of the pavement the kickstand MAY of jarred downward enough to kill it. Think ill disconnect that d@mn switch!

Felt stupid as he!! doing it right in front of moms. At least no one seen me(that i know of). Felt even stupider for NOT listening to that lil voice. Tongue Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 08/27/10 at 02:26:28

Felt even stupider for NOT listening to that lil voice.    

Its hard to learn that one. Gut feelings are easy to ignore & often, costly to ignore.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #20 - 08/27/10 at 08:45:12

The only reason I ride now is because bikes have that lower seat. Its just no fun having to struggle with balancing a bike when stopped.
When I was scouting bikes out a few years ago I was pleasantly suprised  that a lot of bikes in the 650 - 1000 cc range were accommodating us short a$$es.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #21 - 08/27/10 at 13:26:10

I like the low seat height and 'usualy' have pleanty of extra extension when putting a foot down. Add 6-8 inchs of extra blacktop and your foots over the edge and you kinda wave your foot in the air like a ducks foot when he's out of water...lol
Gravity works real d@mn fast when it stops you in gear to! Roll Eyes

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #22 - 08/27/10 at 19:01:51

I never understood why bikes had to be that high up in the first place. I am average height of 5'11" and back 15-20 years ago I had troubles at a standstill to have both my feet flat on the ground with about any bike I ever sat on. I have no idea why they had to be like that. That's why I didn't like riding back then, because I didn't like to stop. My brother in law's 1982 Honda Nighthawk was one of them. Loved the engine, hated the traffic light stops.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:27:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › WHOOOOPPSS?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.