WHOOOOPPSS? (Read 295 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
WHOOOOPPSS?
08/26/10 at 01:03:52

Was recalling a couple of threads on another site i frequent.
Dummy drops(no kickstand ect) low speed layovers, those lil mishaps.
Was wondering who had and what kind...lol

And if before it happened you 'had that feeling' so many riders talk about where you felt like maybe you should of stayed off the bike that day?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: WHOOOOPPSS?
Reply #1 - 08/26/10 at 02:57:02

my only drops have been when trying to load a bike in the back of my truck by myself ... gotta work smarter, not harder   Grin

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 08/26/10 at 04:26:37

Teach you !...............quit loadin, & start ridin ! Grin

I drop twice in a year and a half.
Once checkin the oil the stupid book way, and once making a u-turn w/ gravel over pavement going downhill, and I think I touched the front brakeShocked

LANCER wrote on 08/26/10 at 02:57:02:
my only drops have been when trying to load a bike in the back of my truck by myself ... gotta work smarter, not harder   Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #3 - 08/26/10 at 04:37:10

Early on, started to get off the bike without first putting it into gear, and had it roll off the kickstand as I was swinging my leg over the backrest.  I ended up on the ground wondering what had happened.  The backrest is gone, and I have made it a habit of putting the bike in gear as soon as I turn the engine off.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 08/26/10 at 04:37:52

I tried to move the bike around underneath my back porch, and I lost balance. My equilibrium is handicapped, because I am deaf in my left ear since I was 5 years old. So while I was trying to move it between two 4x4 poles I stumbled and the bike pulled me over to the starboard side and hammered in the pole with the side of the tank, leaving a 2" long vertical crease from the edge of the 4x4. I am not going to repeat and translate what I was shouting after that.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 08/26/10 at 09:01:54

Spiffy new bike lift from craigslist..35 bucks...perfect.
First time I tried it out I rolled it underneath, lifted the kickstand and started pumping it up. Worked great and was really happy with my purchase. I went to the right side of the bike, hit the stomp pedal to lower it while holding the handlebar.
Everything was going peachy until I started to lean it over onto the kickstand which wasn't down...needless to say, there was a point where I thought "I can hold this thing!" but I couldn't...outcome...one broken rear taillight and some gas on the garage floor... Embarrassed

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #6 - 08/26/10 at 09:11:24

Let me see here. Dropping the bike. Long ago I was told by a rather well seasoned rider that if no body saw you do it it didn't happen. I believe this to be true Wink---Ride safe, far, and often---Luke

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/26/10 at 09:20:22

parked on a slight downhill in nuetral. Got about 20 feet away when i herad the fall. No damage except to my ego.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #8 - 08/26/10 at 10:04:58

1st one - on my driveway.  Its almost flat out of the garage about 3 feet, then slopes down pretty good.  I was backing out of garage, turned as I started down the slope, cut the front wheel, and over on our side we went.  broken left rear signal, small mark on tank.  Scraped side of helmet too.

2nd one - Riding along, went to make a left turn, sharper than 90°, probably 125° and uphill.  Cars were stopped at the bottom.  I made the turn, didn't throttle enough.  Panicked, fell over on the right side.  Broken right rear signal to match the left.  

3rd & latest - pulled off the road into a little gravel, too quick...  front brake...  light dump, basically caught it.  no damage.

All of these happened in the first couple months of having it.   <knock on wood>  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
dvansyck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/26/10 at 10:50:13

I dropped the bike when I was looking to buy it. It was on the down slope of a driveway and when I swung my leg over to dismount I caught the back of the bike, kicking it forward dropping the bike and myself. Roadrash and black&blue marks before I even rode it  Embarrassed

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #10 - 08/26/10 at 11:00:05

The only MC I've dropped has been my Concours. Once in the driveway, I don't know if I forgot to put my kickstand down or what, but when Connie starts going over it's best to get out of her way and let her down gently. Second time was when I stopped at a 4 way stop to turn right. My turn, I started leaning and applied the throttle, and nothing. Only time I've ever had a hiccup from the engine. I reached for some pavement on the right hand side of the MC and due to the left to right slope of the road, I hit air until the comment above about Connie going over applied and I just stepped off, because she was going over fast due to me already starting to lean for the turn. Second time cost me a foot peg - no scratches, I got lucky. Some guy stopped his truck in the middle of the intersection and came running over to help me lift it. No worries.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/26/10 at 11:22:15

Once I almost dropped it on top of myself over a shutdown KERPOW that set me giggling, then lmao when half the neighberhood out looking.  I think if I had it would've killed me.

And of course numerous times when someone else puts it away for me.  And all you have to do is touch it and the kickstand shoots up.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 08/26/10 at 11:33:58

Well, hate to have to 'fess up, but I fall off my bike getting on and off of it fairly regularly now days.   Every month or three to be more exact.

Bad legs due to diabetic neropany and bad joints, combining to give me both weakness and a lack of "feel", especially after riding a bit.

Last one was on an overlook up in the mountains, nothing caused it except my legs were too fatigued to hold the bike up while I was getting off of it.  Bike moved forwards a bit, side stand folded and I took yet another quick dirt roll.

Such is being old and feeble ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #13 - 08/26/10 at 15:33:15

Have come real close on roads that slant to the side. One must remember to put you foot down on the high side of the road when comming to a stop.
There's a lot of air on the low side.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #14 - 08/26/10 at 16:18:35

Guess I'll chime in here.  Went to look at my friends Savage before I bought it, and he told me to get on and see how I fit on the bike.  All I had ridden before was a moped, and 4 wheelers.  So he told me where the clutch was, explained the gears, etc.  And told me never, ever hit the front brake untill I am stopped by the rear.  I start it up, and he tells me to slowly let out the clutch.  I did, and start moving.  Then I ease on the front brake to slow down, but forgot about the clutch.  I was going maybe 5 mph, when the front wheel hit some fine gravel, and whoosh, down I went.  Broke the right footpeg, and mirror, dented the tank slightly.  Got lots of road rash on my right arm.   Needless to say, he really had me spooked on ever using the front brake again!  But I finally got over it, and learned to use the front properly.   Cheesy

Jive

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:23:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › WHOOOOPPSS?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.