Rock in the Belt (Read 433 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Rock in the Belt
Reply #15 - 08/28/10 at 04:09:02

After getting down there looking at the problem area,.....thinking of a way to put any kind of a guard that mite help in discouraging a rock from getting sucked in, I have concluded that anything I put there that could stop a rock from flying directly into the pulley, could also cause rocks to drop onto the belt, and completely defeat my purpose. So scratch that idea. I think if a simple guard would fix it, Suzuski would have put it there ?? Shocked

What I'm thinking now, it that if I run the belt tension on the looser side rather than tighter, I would have a much better chance of a rock going on thru, verses locking up the rear wheel, as some here have experienced.
I can't really think of any disadvantege of running the belt a touch on the loose side,.....as I don't think our horsepower is going to spin a pulley inside that cogged belt too quick.
Any thoughts welcome.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 08/28/10 at 19:46:02

To tell you the truth, even though it's happened to me twice, I don't worry about it.

If I frequently rode on dirt/gravel roads, however, I might rethink.

YMMV!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 08/28/10 at 19:50:32

I suppose I could point out that belt and chain guards are not usually installed to protect the belt or chain, but to protect the people using the equipment from being injured by the belt or chain.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 08/28/10 at 20:12:47

Well, we could say that guards are put there to keep stuff out,...including fingers ??
Charon wrote on 08/28/10 at 19:50:32:
I suppose I could point out that belt and chain guards are not usually installed to protect the belt or chain, but to protect the people using the equipment from being injured by the belt or chain.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #19 - 08/28/10 at 20:28:52

I don't like to think what I mite be thinking if I had a rock actually lock up the rear wheel twice. Just having a rock go thru the belt/pulley twice now, has me a little paranoid whenever I see gravel on the roadway, especially knowing that a rock can and does lock up the wheel.
Untill something better comes up, I'm going w the looser belt idea.

Digger wrote on 08/28/10 at 19:46:02:
To tell you the truth, even though it's happened to me twice, I don't worry about it.

YMMV!

Rich
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 08/29/10 at 06:23:32

If I was really worried about it, I think Id look at a guard that mounted on the swingarm & crossed the belt at an angle, sweeping anything running down the belt away from in front of the pulley. The bottom would have to be rounded or risk undue wear on the belt & Id set it to sweep away from the wheel. God help you if it comes off & gets all up in there....

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #21 - 08/29/10 at 07:09:47

A thin heavy bristled brush at a 45 deg angle across the belt ??
Good thought ! Positive mounting could be the problem.

Now I'm also thinking,.....the front wheel is whats causing the problem !!
But I guess a mud (rock) flap wouldn't be too cool ?? Undecided

Rich
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 08/29/10 at 09:15:38

What's less cool than a rock in the belt? Besides, its YOUR bike. Make it work in a safe, dependable manner, thats cool...
No one is gonna die for me when its my turn, Ill be d4mned if Ill let someones opinion change the way I live.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #23 - 08/29/10 at 10:09:25

Well hell, now you're gonna make me go back out there and see just how ugly a mud flap mite get ! Shocked
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/29/10 at 09:15:38:
What's less cool than a rock in the belt? Besides, its YOUR bike. Make it work in a safe, dependable manner, thats cool...
No one is gonna die for me when its my turn, Ill be d4mned if Ill let someones opinion change the way I live.

On edit,..scratch the mud flap off the fender !
This discussion is over. A flap off the cross bar on my forward controls is going to solve my problem ! I may even offer it an accessory to my forward control sales Grin

Thanks JOG

Rich
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 08/29/10 at 14:04:21

Ya' Welcome,

IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #25 - 08/29/10 at 18:15:59

Watch out when riding on fresh asphalt.  I got a pebble stuck in the rear pulley that was covered in asphalt and it stuck pretty well.  It did put a mark on the belt and that is when I started looking for the cause.  Took a screwdriver to pry it loose.

IP Logged
Thump05
YaBB Newbies

2005 S 40 Boulevard

Mt. Vernon, IL
Reply #26 - 08/29/10 at 19:35:06

I never had a rock stuck in my belt sprocket but I had some straw that was blowing across a country road end up in my sprocket. I thought I had a major malfunction.  Shocked Bang, bang, bang was the sound I heard and felt. I stopped immediately and checked out the drive by rolling the bike backwards. A pocket knife solved the problem digging the straw Shocked out of my sprocket.

Thump05
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #27 - 08/29/10 at 19:48:45

The beltguard is mostly to protect you from water splashes...
It would take a contortionist to get a body part stuck in there,.. and if the guard was for rocks, it would be on the bottom run of belt instead of the top... gravity takes care of the top...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #28 - 08/29/10 at 21:20:38

Routy wrote on 08/28/10 at 20:28:52:
I don't like to think what I mite be thinking if I had a rock actually lock up the rear wheel twice. Just having a rock go thru the belt/pulley twice now, has me a little paranoid whenever I see gravel on the roadway, especially knowing that a rock can and does lock up the wheel.
Untill something better comes up, I'm going w the looser belt idea.

Digger wrote on 08/28/10 at 19:46:02:

YMMV!

Rout,

I should have pointed out that I've been riding this bike for almost 9 years now.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #29 - 08/30/10 at 05:58:07

Rout,
I should have pointed out that I've been riding this bike for almost 9 years now.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I guess odds of a wheel lockup would be slim.
But I'm going w/ a "rock flap" up front,.......why not,
its got to lower the odds !

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:14:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rock in the Belt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.