Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First Service Newbie Lesson Learned (Read 180 times)
jimsgirl
YaBB Newbies

Boulevard S40  
 Rose &
Pearl

Campbell, California
First Service Newbie Lesson Learned
08/24/10 at 21:23:03

I called the dealership today because I'm due for my 600+ mile service --YES I got the warranty. I started explaining I was at 550, going on a huge weekend ride and want to make sure it got done before the event. First the guy says "Oh, you'll be fine going on the ride, if you want to bring it in next week that'd be okay,  and how they're booking up fast so I better bring it in soon." Then he sounds like he's going to hang up on me? prompting me to ask if he needed my name/number/make of bike/some sort of info to make the appt? HE says NO, we're not that busy, just bring it in- but to make certain I don't go on that ride before cause valves loosen and the oil gets factory crud in it and I'd better get it done before I go, just to make sure. HUH? HOW Can' you flip that fast? First they're rockin busy and then they're open schedule....first it's vastly important and then I can wait another week or two? The capper was.... he quoted me almost 600 dollars for the job. (Doesn't know the make of bike, etc.)
I said thanks and hung up.

Called a friend, got a reputable mechanic reference, no bullshit, less then 200 bucks and should be done in approx. 2 hrs.  

A strong man sails by ash breeze.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: First Service Newbie Lesson Learned
Reply #1 - 08/24/10 at 21:45:25

there are shops you go to and shops you dont, or shouldnt anyway. Better yet, if you're willing to learn and get your hands dirty you can do almost anything to this bike that needs done. Its all very simple. Just read up and ask a lot of questions.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/24/10 at 21:57:42

1st off, do you know what the 1st service entails?
I know dipstick turned you off, but find out what they're going to do and what Mr reputable mech is going to do.

1st service is supposed to entail retorqueing the head bolts.  Which means they have to take off the head cover... which means they might want to take the engine out of the frame.

but if you want to pay $200 just to adjust the valves and change the oil... I do house calls   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/24/10 at 23:48:25

If an owner intends to actually have the required servicing done on this bike, & intends top pay forit instead of do it, then its gonna be a very expensive bike.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 08/25/10 at 17:31:18

I'll probably catch flak - again - but here goes. Valves that loosen do not cause problems. All they do is get noisy. Valves that tighten can cause trouble, because if they tighten enough they will not seat; will leak; and may burn rapidly. I would not worry too much about having the service done at exactly 600 miles (which is 1000 km, rounded). It will no doubt survive for a while longer, but I WOULD want to have it done before, say, 1000 miles. Valve adjustment on this bike is to be done with the engine cold, which is taken to mean it hasn't been run for at least four hours before the adjustment. Shops usually want you to bring the bike in the day before so it can cool overnight.

As Verslagen said, the service is supposed to entail retorquing the head bolts. This requires removing the head cover. According to the Clymer manual, on some bikes the head cover cannot be removed with the engine in the frame. A reputable shop which actually looks up the bike will have to estimate the job with engine removal in mind, and shop rates are likely to run at least $80 per hour. The rocker arms are mounted to the head cover, so removing the head cover will mandate checking and probably readjusting the valve clearances. It can turn into a labor-intensive job. My guess is that the guy who quoted $600 might not be far wrong, and the guy who quoted $200 has no plan to remove the engine - which means he may not do the whole job.

JOG is correct. If you plan to have a shop do the maintenance as scheduled, this is an expensive motorcycle. But it isn't alone. Quite a few motorcycles have what is known as "shim under bucket" valve adjustment, which means any adjustment requires removing the cams. Labor charges are high, and the adjustment is done by purchasing and replacing shims.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/25/10 at 20:36:30

The Kawasaki W is a bucket shim adjust type. The rockers are spring loaded & will slide to the side, allowing access to the shims w/o pulling cams. Others may be quite different.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 08/28/10 at 00:49:52

I never even took my bike in for a first service. They change the oil, adjust the valves if needed, lube the cables which they already are, check the air in the tires, and check to see if the head bolts are tight, which they are. Its a waste of money. Do it yourself.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:21:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First Service Newbie Lesson Learned

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.