Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Building up the miles & smiles... (Read 74 times)
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Building up the miles & smiles...
08/24/10 at 21:19:01

I know we had a thread to show where you've been riding, but I must not've gone back far enough to find it... so I'm starting another! Cheesy

In celebration of putting around 2500 miles on my new C50 since March, I thought I'd throw up some pics I've taken recently while riding, just to annoy everyone with how slow the page opens! Grin

Beacon Rock, in WA along the Columbia River.  Gonna try to get around to hiking to the top of it and getting pics this fall.

Enjoying the shade on a 98° day!

Get a chuckle out of this every time I ride by:

Mount St. Helens in the afternoon:

Some youngster is on the right track!  Saw this at the overlook where I took the previous picture.

Took a ride up to Ape Cave (an old lava tube) this afternoon with a friend:

Chilling... literally!  It was mid 90's outside, probably 60's or so down the cave a ways.  A couple miles to the bottom on the short leg.

This rock's been wedged there for who knows how long.  They call it the "meatball". Grin

They have guided tours with the rangers also, this is a shot of them getting ready to set out.

Back to the surface, and the heat... Tongue

Oh, almost forgot, here's what my ride rout was; from home, up through Battleground, Amboy, and Cougar, to the caves, then back through Woodland.  Very nice ride! Cool

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Building up the miles & smiles...
Reply #1 - 08/25/10 at 05:54:13

Hope that meatball stays up there. Nice lookin place.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 08/25/10 at 07:17:51

Very nice John!  Beacon Rock looks like a Gorilla to me...  
Thanks for sharing.  You always take cool pics.

We've taken some cave tours before.  Carter Caves in Kentucky, Seneca Caverns in eastern WV, are a couple nice recent ones. 
This is one of my favorite pics from Seneca, my oldest son:

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #3 - 08/25/10 at 12:40:29

JOG- I was thinking that same thing, since you have to walk right under it.  When you look at it close though, you can see where the water and minerals dripping on it over the years have fused it to the rock on either side.

Piglet- Thanks!  That cave in your pic looks awesome too, and huge!  I've only been in one other cave system, and that's the Wind Caves in Hot Springs, South Dakota.  Went there on a field trip in grade school, they were awesome; a fairly big system of tunnels.
The tube we were in goes down a mile or two the direction we went, before it gets too small to walk through, or you can up the other direction 6 miles or so, and it comes out closer to Mount St. Helens.  One of these days I'm going to get up there early enough to hike that one and still make it home before dark.  It's a neat road, but with sharp corners, and deer crossing signs all over the place, I prefer it in the daytime! Grin

The Beacon Rock trail is pretty cool too, it switchbacks up the far side of it for several miles.  If you're not an avid hiker though, it'll make your legs sore the next day; I speak from experience! Roll Eyes

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 01:12:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › Building up the miles & smiles...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.