Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Rear Cam Chain Guide ooppsie (Read 768 times)
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Re: Rear Cam Chain Guide ooppsie
Reply #60 - 08/31/10 at 06:16:17

Well...I did the mod.  Welded on a tab, drilled two small holes and stuck a cotter pin through them for a stop.  It works, but I am highly disapointed in myself.  I will be saving my pennies for a Verslavy.  

Seeing how I bent the circlip, I tried to bend it back, and did, but they figured that it was not the wisest idea to use it and went to get a new one.  I am going to go out on a limb here, but I think that just about everything on this bike is metric, even the circlips?  I found one that seems to work, I mean It fits tight, but can one fit too tight?  If that makes any sense.  I am going to another store to look for different ones, maybe the harbor has some, they get things from metric speaking countries.

I am highly disappointed in myself that I am not getting to ride it yet.  I had so much apart that it is going to be tonight before its all back together.  I am sad when I see all the other guys riding their bikes around wishing I could too.  But I know that this is stuff that needed to be done so that the rest of the ridding days this year will be worry free.

Once I get it back together I will let you guys know the outcome, might even make a video for fun.  Thanks again guys for your patience with me.  You do a good thing helping out like you do.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #61 - 08/31/10 at 11:29:40

I bought extra last time I bought, $1 apiece, can slip it into an envelope for a $1.50

But, I'd go into a local bearing shop, they should have them for less than that.

WWW   IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #62 - 09/01/10 at 11:24:59

what size is the clip in mm?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #63 - 09/01/10 at 11:28:57

the shaft it attached to unscrews, remove it and take it with you.

WWW   IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #64 - 09/01/10 at 11:40:30

Ok, I know that this sounds bad, but I have to ask it anyways.  What is the harm in using a standard size circlip instead of the metric?  It fits, and if I didn't know better I would say its the right size, except I noticed that the ends didn't quite come together as they did on the original circlip.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #65 - 09/01/10 at 11:58:48

There are no real end loads, it just there to keep it off the cover.
spit and bailing wire will hold it in place.

WWW   IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #66 - 09/01/10 at 12:11:09

I figured, but I went ahead and took the bailing wire off and used the standard sized circlip instead  Grin  Maybe if you still have some, when I get the money together to buy your mod, I'll go ahead and buy one of those fancy right sized clips from you too.

IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #67 - 09/01/10 at 12:12:12

Oh, and just in case anyone was wondering, had school last night so I didnt get to work on the bike at all.  I will get to for a while after I get home tonight, I am hoping that I can get it ready for tomorrows commute.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #68 - 09/01/10 at 21:49:39

I believe the size of the circlip is 6mm but it's been a while since I've gone messing about. I just got one at the NAPA down the street. 6 cents. The guy didnt even feel like ringing it up so I just walked out and went home.

IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #69 - 09/02/10 at 04:46:36

So you just took your old one in?  I have the bike buttoned up most of the way now so I don't know if I would take it back apart to change that one circlip.  But I will try the local napa, never thought of them.  I was under the impression that it was 8mm.  If it is 6 then there is a fasteners place here in town.  Maybe this will also help someone else in the future when they go looking for one

Or they could just take the time to take it off without bending it... Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #70 - 09/02/10 at 05:43:28

While removal w/o loss or damage is the goal, its not one we always manage. When I goober up or lose a part that Im sure Ill be touching again & it doesnt cost a lot, I get a spare, or 2, just to have.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #71 - 09/02/10 at 18:18:01

Well this chapter is closed, hopefully.  I got it all back together, and after the fact realized that I had left the spark plug wire off... Angry.  Off with the seat, off with the tank...

Got it all back together AGAIN and fired it up.  Ran real smooth.  A lot quieter.  I attribute most of that to the valve job because that is where most of the noise was coming from in the beginning.

I went for a ride to make sure nothing was going to go wrong before I took off on my way to work in the morning.  The white spacer mod helped out with the backfires, either that or the dang carb was so dirty that it was leaning the mixture out.  I am going to have to mess around with the mixture screw again.

I got back and noticed an occasional "knock".  My hypochondriac self also heard some chain noise, but I think that is a figment of my imagination.  It does seem like there is a lot of noise coming from the front/front left side of the block.  It was there before, but hard to pin down because of the valve noise.

The knock, however, seems to come from the right hand side, just below/front of the oil filter.  It was hard to pin down, and I will do some more listening tomorrow, but I found it by sticking a screwdriver in between the oil filter cover and exhaust pipe.

I am really not too concerned, at this point I just want to ride, its amazing how much you miss it when you cannot do it.  Its different when you just don't have the time or something.

Any clues what this engine noise is?  Could it be coming from that one bearing/shaft  that is just to the right of the cam chain?  That would make sense why I hear the noise on the other side also and in the front.  I am going to look over my engine diagram to try and see what it could be.

Just thought I would let you guys know you are great.  You were a big help to me through this, and eventually when I get back in there to put in the verslavly.  Next chapter is probably going to be cam chain replacement, hopefully not anything worse.  Thanks again.

IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #72 - 09/02/10 at 18:27:11

Just checked my manual.  Balancer assembly.  I would assume that this would make some noise given the nature of the beast, how much is too much?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #73 - 09/02/10 at 21:39:23

nathanhooper wrote on 09/02/10 at 18:27:11:
Just checked my manual.  Balancer assembly.  I would assume that this would make some noise given the nature of the beast, how much is too much?

IDK exactly at what point it is "too much", but Phellonius has experience with that. He can splain it for ya.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #74 - 09/03/10 at 06:51:13

Yea, I have read about his "experience".  I have no desires for that kind of knowledge, lol.  I don't think its that bad, I might be wrong, but it ran pretty smooth to work today.  I am thinking that if it gets bad enough to where something is going to go wrong it will start to tell me louder and louder.

If I am not mistaken, Phellonius came on sudden, but it was because of a mechanical malfunction of an add on part.  I am pretty sure everything I have is stock.  But hey, if I am running down the road and it busts through my engine and I run over it then oh well.  I can either use the bike, or not.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:32:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Cam Chain Guide ooppsie

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.