Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Rear Cam Chain Guide ooppsie (Read 768 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rear Cam Chain Guide ooppsie
Reply #45 - 08/28/10 at 13:18:14

when the tensioner reaches 19mm, it's the chain that needs replacing.  and if you do it now, there'll be no damage to the tensioner and you can still use it.

but here's the kicker... measure the chain stretch and you'll see you're still well within spec.  which is why the "slavy" was created, to get all the life out of the chain.

At 22mm, you have to replace the chain, so you got 3mm to do something.  about a 1000 miles per mm, give or take 3mm's.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #46 - 08/28/10 at 15:18:43

Back in from doing the valves...what a chore that is.  Drives me nuts, almost half way worth taking the engine out of the frame.  They were a little loose, only by a thous or so, tightend them down on .004" and .003" slips right in while .005" doesnt enter much at all.

So, let me try to understand this correctly.  In around or bout 1000-3000 miles(using the good or the bad method of calculation Grin), I am going to need to replace the cam chain?

So, when using the verslavy you need to keep track of the distance you start with and then when you reach what would have been 23mm with the old one, it is time to check and replace the chain?  I have read some posts that guys will let it go all the way out, then switch to the second hole and stretch it some more.  So is that a take your chance thing?  Or is it been proven that at stock tensioner max travel, you have another x amount of travel that you can go?

I know I am asking a lot of questions here, just trying to understand a little more is all.  I guess I am missing something or its just going straight over my head from just reading old posts.

So what are the other thoughts on the other questions I had, pictures I took?  I got the carb off, figured I would do it seeing how I had the time, glad I did because it was dirty.  I will post pics of what it looked like when I first took it off.  I am sure this bike is going to run a whole lot different when I put it all back together.  The inside of the carb was pretty thick in dirt, which is inline with the fact that the air filter was caked with dirt.  I am going to have to get a new one of those.

I took the carb apart with some persuasion, no spacer mod has been done to it yet, I am going to read up on it and decide whether or not to go ahead with it.  Someone can chime in with a more recent update of their thougts on it if they want Smiley.

IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #47 - 08/28/10 at 15:41:30

I think I understand the spacer mod more now.  Not completely, because I have not done it and then rode with it.  But I think the wisest thing to do is replace with washers that way I can go back to stock if it doesn't like it.

If only I had a verslavy at hand...I would be cruising the back roads tomorrow eating bugs.  Nahh...who am I kidding I am just a newb that doesn't know what its like to be a real biker...lol.  

I like the bike, really I do, and I am so glad I did all of this today.  I feel a lot better about my machine and look forward to many more years of pleasure and use out of it.  I am still curious on the issue with the chain and adjuster though.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #48 - 08/28/10 at 16:12:59

nathanhooper wrote on 08/28/10 at 15:18:43:
So, let me try to understand this correctly.  In around or bout 1000-3000 miles(using the good or the bad method of calculation Grin), I am going to need to replace the cam chain?

you have 1 to 3k miles to go before your stock tensioner falls apart.

if you don't weld a tab on it, or get a verslavy, you need to replace your chain.

if you take your chain out right now, it will be stretched half of the max allowed.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #49 - 08/28/10 at 16:49:12

Get one of these (or weld up and drill your old one) and install it ASAP.

Quit worrying about your chain --- your old cam chain has LOTS and LOTS of life left in it.   Your chain isn't your pressing issue, not by a long long shot.

Don't wait too durn long to Slavvy it as you are only 1-2mm away from a "spit the spring into the running gears" crunch event.   If you scragg out your bike by being slack now you'll never forgive yourself.

Get/make yourself a Slavvy unit (or a Verslavvy if you decide to get his improved version) and put that sucker in place ASAP.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #50 - 08/28/10 at 16:49:36

Well if you look real close at the adjuster, you can see it's not sticking out quiet straight anymore. It's pointing up slightly. So it already starts trying to wiggle out the hole in the body. At this point it's sticking out about almost 80% of it's total length. This thing is getting ready to pop. It wouldn't last a whole lot longer. At this point it isn't worth it to close it back up without getting anything done. It would be a gamble. If you rely on the bike as your only form of transportation, it'll be a disaster to you soon. I have seen them sticking out 21mm, but they also pretty much destroyed the hole in the body at that point. Mine had the same exact amount of extension and I replaced it on the spot. Motor runs like new since. I would advise you to not ride it anymore like that. It could hold up for awhile, it could also pop out a few more mm at once, when the ratchet decides to give a little more. I would call it too risky.

IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #51 - 08/28/10 at 20:09:12

oh yea, I am definitely doing something with it.  I just thought that verslagen was alluding to the idea that I was going to have to replace my cam chain when it gets out to the stock 23mm.  I was just being confused in my head and wanted to set the record straight.

It is funny how things happen.  If someone does not believe that EVERY thing happens for a reason then they are sadly mistaken.  If I would not have had that blonde moment that caused the potential ooppsie then I would still be riding the bike right now.

I had no intentions of looking inside until this fall/winter.  It had 8500 miles when I got it and it seemed as though the consensus was that at around 10,000 mile it is a wise idea to check things out regardless.  I am at over 9000 miles now, and figured I would wait till I was not riding as much in the fall/winter(its hard to carry a stick and string on the back of a bike).

By then I would have put on another 1000 miles or so.  Would I have had the spring in the running gears moment?  Who knows.  It definitely looks like it could have ratcheted out another couple in that time.  We will never know because it will be fixed before I ride again.  I consider myself as being one that gets watched over a lot, I don't plan on pushing things too far.

Here is where I would agree with others that I found while trying to diagnose my situation, and it wouldn't be a bad thing to always tell new comers to do, and that is to just look at the darn adjuster if you get a used bike.  It seriously did not take that long to do.  Maybe 1 1/2 hours tops?  I have no idea why I toyed with the idea so long.

I am hoping that I can pick up some money quickly so I can go ahead with the verslavvy.  I think for now I will go ahead and weld a tab on and drill it.  Being a soul provider for a wife and three kids these days takes a lot from a guy, thats the reason I had to settle for the s40 instead of the harley...JUST KIDDING!!!  That was just too much of an opportune moment to waste.

I am adapt at welding, but not milling and I like the idea that verslagen came up with.  I finished up the night with a complete clean and white spacer mod.  I went down to .075, 2/3 of what it was.  That carb was dirty dirty.  I was spraying carb cleaner in holes and brown/black stuff would pour out the other side.  I am really surprised it ran as well as it did.  Just a testament to the simplicity of these machines, I am starting to really like it.  But anytime you get your hands dirty with someone you are bound to get attached.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #52 - 08/28/10 at 20:12:25

BurnPgh wrote on 08/27/10 at 23:02:27:
......As far as retorquing the head bolts, dont worry about it unless the head gasket starts to get seepy. With such low oil pressure as we have in these machines "blowing" a head gasket seems unlikely, and most "head gasket" leaks are actually the head oil plug leak....

Just for the record, there appears to be some confusion regarding a head cover leak and a head gasket leak.

I believe Burn was addressing a head cover leak.  This refers to an oil leak at the head/head cover interface.  There is no gasket here and oil leaks there are common (but eminently preventable, IMHO).

A head gasket leak, on the other hand, refers to a leak in the gasket between the cylinder and the head.  A blown head gasket on this machine may or may not leak oil.  Head gaskets are generally never blown due to oil pressure.  It is combustion pressure that generally does them in.

Clear as mud?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #53 - 08/28/10 at 20:16:48

nathanhooper wrote on 08/28/10 at 10:22:31:
....So where do we get the information we have on the 19mm?....

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1183865819/1#1

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #54 - 08/28/10 at 20:24:09

Digger wrote on 08/28/10 at 20:16:48:
nathanhooper wrote on 08/28/10 at 10:22:31:
....So where do we get the information we have on the 19mm?....

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1183865819/1#1

Oh, much further back than that.  But, the 18mm comes the german forum.  otherwise it'd be in inches.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #55 - 08/30/10 at 07:09:38

Well I pulled the tensioner off last night.  I think I bent the circlip, unless it is supposed to look like this?

The tensioner body looks well enough, I think I caught it before it could get too wollerd out.

Here is a thought though on maybe another solution to the mod on the tensioner.  There is a .026" difference in height on the tensioner 'piston'.  The difference is between the height of the groove ridges and the overall piston diameter.

Rough drawing, I had a little fun with 'paint' this morning, I forgot the picture of the piston at home.  But I think you can get the idea from this drawing.
So the ratcheting device on the tensioner comes back this far when it is moving over the normal 'groves'...it was hard to get a picture of the exact moment the ratchet reaches the top of the ridge on the groove, but after a couple of tries I was able to capture it.

Here is a picture of when it is sitting inside the grooves.

And this far when the piston has reached the end of normal travel and is capable of coming out.

I did not measure that difference in distance, but I am going to assume that it is .026".  So my thoughts are if someone could put a "pin" of some sort in there allowing the ratchet device to only come back to the point of allowing travel over the 'groves' and not allowing it to come back to the point of allowing the piston to come out.

I tried it with sticking a small screwdriver tip behind the ratchet and it did not allow the piston to come out.  Now I know that this is a lot more tedious machining than cutting a slot and drilling the piston for a pin, but I just thought I would share my idea and see if anyone has thoughts on it.

Maybe drilling and taping a set screw that could be adjusted?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #56 - 08/30/10 at 07:36:44

it's been done.

WWW   IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #57 - 08/30/10 at 07:41:46

Good, bad?  I got too looking, and what if you came in from the opposite side of the hole the spring for the ratchet sits in.  Then what you are in essence doing is using the spring as a stop itself.

Downsides to doing this?  I am NOT a engineer, so I cannot say I have the foresight to see the relationship of machined surfaces and how they interact with each other.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #58 - 08/30/10 at 09:17:50

I drilled a hole & ran a tiny wire thru to keep the tensioner from coming apart. Otehrs have a pin, looks very professional.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #59 - 08/30/10 at 21:45:32

BurnPgh wrote on 08/27/10 at 23:02:27:
As far as retorquing the head bolts, dont worry about it unless the head gasket starts to get seepy. With such low oil pressure as we have in these machines "blowing" a head gasket seems unlikely, and most "head gasket" leaks are actually the head oil plug leak (look it up and read)

Nope. I meant the head gasket. I've pretty much resigned myself to a seepy head cover. Not bad. Just a bit right above the spark plug. I have, however, never had my head gasket seep or leak. The head cover could be head cover bolts not being tight enough or crappy rtv seal but if the head gaskets leaking there not much else it could be but loose head bolts or a worn gasket.  But again, though a gasket may be worn (maybe the PO reused it after a disassembly) I don't know that it could "blow" and leak profusely with such low oil prssure as our bike has. Leak, yes, seep....count on it...blow? Eh...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:25:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Cam Chain Guide ooppsie

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.