Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Rear Cam Chain Guide ooppsie (Read 768 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: Rear Cam Chain Guide ooppsie
Reply #15 - 08/25/10 at 08:49:49

Yep, preventative medicine DOES work. My own personal relationships with things mechanical has been that I often start something and then as I go deeper and deeper I find I've messed things up that weren't messed up before (example: My wife wanted a new faucet in the bathroom, then we decided it would be good to replace the tub and shower enclosure...well, if we're gonna do that then we should get a new vanity too...you get the picture...whole new bathroom!)

I do plan to verslavy but only when I get to the point where I have the miles to warrant it and when I have downtime during the winter.

MY nature is that once I start on something and start to screw it up by God I'm not gonna pay someone to do it... Wink

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #16 - 08/25/10 at 10:03:03

Amen to that.  Precisly why I got this bike.  Supposed to be easy to work on, provided you follow rules. lol.  I hear you on the deeper and deeper part. I had planned on looking into my bike later on this winter also after the miles had gotten more.  And hopefully I will get to wait till then.  I think I will.  I really, really like the bike.  It needs some tune up done, which I am going to follow step by step this weekend.  Hopefully one day I will be experienced enough with this bikes set up I can know a tenth of what the other guys on here know.  Until then I'll keep asking questions and try not to dig any deeper than my knowledge goes. If only I had listened to that little voice telling me not to turn the wrench...lol.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 08/25/10 at 11:38:41

If you still intend on taking it apart to verify that the guide is still connected to the pivot pin, do the cam chain adjuster check in the tech doc's.  You'll be able see if it's still operating correctly from there.  And if neccessary, put your hand on it so that you can realign it to the post.  You can't do this from above, only from below.

WWW   IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #18 - 08/25/10 at 11:52:43

I am hoping that Justin will get back on here later and verify that what you thought earlier, and what I have been leaning toward, is indeed true that it did not come out.  But I would DEFINITELY do the adjuster check if I took the side cover off.  I am not sure how this thing was treated so I will probably be doing the check before the normal mileage.  If it turns out that I am probably alright now, this winter will be the time as it should have around 10,000 miles on it by then.  But, I might find myself bored one weekend coming up and do it then, lol.  Never know.  

How long would it take to get the after-market adjuster and parts in if it turns out that the stock adjuster is wearing rapidly?  I guess that is a question to ask when the time comes, but never hurts to have some fore-planing done.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 08/25/10 at 20:33:59

Once the threads disengage, thers about 1/2 inch of the post still engaged in therear chain guide. If you pulled it back more than 1/2", you should go look.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 08/25/10 at 22:42:00

jog, try pulling out that pin (if you still have the clutch cover open) to see if the guide will drop down far enough to allow the pin to be replaced.  I'm guessing it drop, but not far enough to allow the pin to be replaced.

WWW   IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #21 - 08/26/10 at 05:40:12

Thank you very, very much for doing that for me justin.  I am sure that it will help others out also.  I cannot be the only person that has had, or will ever have, a stupid moment.

1/2"... that is hard to say.  It happened so quickly, and my mind has been doing the "what if" dance for the last couple of days, so I cannot say for absolute that I did not.  First thoughts are seeing how I posted that I only saw the machined surface after the threads and then placed back in, then it would seem as though I would not have pulled it more than 1/2" in out.  But, 1/2" is not much at all, if you would have said 3/4" then I would say for sure that i did not pull that much out.  I am going to bet that I was real close to it, but no cigar.  I would be VERY interested in the outcome, if possible for you to do, of what verslagen is suggesting.  If it is indeed true, then that would take the question out of the picture of whether or not it dropped.

I got to thinking also yesterday, tell me what you guys think;  Lets say the guide did drop, it is possible to put the bolt back in, and it doesn't seem to do much to performance on the bike for a while.  However, if the guide dropped, then would that mean it would have more or less contact with the chain?  If it had more contact with the chain, then wouldn't bits and pieces of the guide be worn off rapidly?  And if you were to drain your oil after 3 or 4 hundred miles, wouldn't those pieces be seen in the oil?  Just a thought.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 08/26/10 at 09:39:19

verslagen1 wrote on 08/25/10 at 22:42:00:
jog, try pulling out that pin (if you still have the clutch cover open) to see if the guide will drop down far enough to allow the pin to be replaced.  I'm guessing it drop, but not far enough to allow the pin to be replaced.

Wouldnt be a fair comparisson. My guide is a 2 piece item, so the top isnt supported/weighed down by the lower half & the tensioner assy. the tensioner on mine was tilted down hard on the right side. The guide had fallen. Only difference is conditions. Mine was rolled around, engine turned to TDC, etc, etc.. A complete guide in an engine that wasnt being turned over, or bike moved up & onto atrailer,, etc.. might not let the thing move..

If I was afraid Id dropped the guide, what would I do?>
Id ask the engine guru types how to prove it w/o opening anything up.

Question.

If a guy loosened that hanger post up & rolled the bike front & back, wouldnt the guide rise &fall, wiggling the thing? Pull the p[lug to make it easier. Note, also, IF upon rolling backwards the pin gets slack in it but ittakes a couple inches of forward motion before the pin lifts, then its OFF..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #23 - 08/26/10 at 11:00:05

So you are POSSIBLY sugesting, I know that you would not tell me to do something that is not a proven way of doing things, but you are sugesting that if I were to unscrew the pin, roll the bike back and forth in gear(?), the movement of the gears would transfer through the clutch, so on, and to the crankshaft, which would move the cam chain?

Then with the cam chain moving, if the rear guide WAS held by the pin, then I would see it move with every little movement of the rear wheel.  But, if it had indeed came off then rocking the bike one way would make it move, but rocking it the other way would possibly have no effect because it would supposedly not be exerting any tension on the guide in that direction?

It definitely sounds plausible.  But, if verslagen's theory were indeed correct, well almost correct, and there is not much room for the guide to fall, but there was ENOUGH room for it to fall and barely let the pin go back into place, then it would still make the pin wiggle right?  But maybe not, now that I think about it.  That does sound like a fairly good idea to try.  Unless someone else has another way, or a reason why they would not try this one.

If only there was a way to look inside without opening it up...

So justin, your guide had fallen off, had it been ridden much with it off?  The reason I ask is if my theory on finding bits and pieces of the guide in the oil might be one sign of it being off.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 08/26/10 at 11:34:21

JOG has a rare case which of busted guide due to a clutch cam failure.
DOESN'T APPLY TO YOU, NOTHING TO SEE. KEEP MOVING.
I have to do some maintenance, I'll check his idea out this weekend.
you'll find it very hard to roll the bike in gear with the sparkplug in.

You need one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001AOVBHG/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=2...

WWW   IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #25 - 08/26/10 at 17:12:55

verslagen1 wrote on 08/26/10 at 11:34:21:
JOG has a rare case which of busted guide due to a clutch cam failure.
DOESN'T APPLY TO YOU, NOTHING TO SEE. KEEP MOVING.
I have to do some maintenance, I'll check his idea out this weekend.
you'll find it very hard to roll the bike in gear with the sparkplug in.

You need one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001AOVBHG/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=2...

I have been doing some research, found some of his earlier posts, good stuff.  No need to yell...lol.  I understand there is nothing to see, I was making another smart-witted comment.  Those comments do get me misunderstood sometimes, need to get a handle on it. Lips Sealed

You have to admit though, it would be very nice to have a see through case cover.  I mean how cool would it be to see the inside of your engine working.  Not to mention how much stinking panic attacks and late night worries would be solved if you could just simply see what your cam chain and adjuster look like.  There is an invention idea, for whoever feels the need to crawl in the womb.

I would very, very, much appreciate it if you did indeed try that test that justin is mentioning.  I plan on doing it myself, although I am sure you would know what to feel for a whole lot better than I.  But when you sit back and think about it there should be some downward pressure exerted on the pin if the guide is still on it.  Right?

I figure it cant hurt to try.  Although it's by God's grace I might have avoided pulling the pin out too far last time, and sometimes you really shouldn't push it too far.  But I believe that if I just pulled it out till I saw the treads disengage then that would mean that the pin is not being held by something and is free to move around a bit.  Then if there is no pressure, or just upward pressure, then there is a good possibility it is out of the guide.  What do you guys think, realistically, is there something I am missing here?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 08/26/10 at 17:46:08

nathanhooper wrote on 08/26/10 at 17:12:55:
I have been doing some research, found some of his earlier posts, good stuff.  No need to yell...lol.  I understand there is nothing to see, I was making another smart-witted comment.  Those comments do get me misunderstood sometimes, need to get a handle on it. Lips Sealed

So now you know what it takes to make an ol' timer squirm.

WWW   IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #27 - 08/26/10 at 18:03:55

Old? Nahhh......see...I know when to stop myself.

IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #28 - 08/27/10 at 09:07:40

Well I got to thinking...this is insanity!  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and always coming up with the same outcome.  Well its close enough to the definition.

I bought my bike with the reasoning that it is a fairly simple piece of machinery, compared to most, and therefore it would not take a rocket scientist to work on it.  I am pretty mechanically inclined, when I am not making stupid mistakes like taking out bolts I have no idea about, and I like to work on my own things.  There is a ton of useful information on here, from very nice people, on how to go about tune ups and checking things, so on and so forth.

Why in the world am I sitting around guessing about whether or not it is off?  Is it worth taking a spill?  Blowing a engine?  Or is it worth the $20 bucks in materials, and time, to take the case off and look at the guide to know for sure?  No brainer.  Sure, no one like to have to do something if it is not absolutely required, but I think reason/common sense says that if a mistake was made, then you don't just try and cover up the mistake, you correct it.

Seeing how there is not a definite way of checking for sure, I am pulling the cover off tonight/tomorrow.  Besides, I bought the bike used, 8500 miles, 2005, two owners that I know of.  Seeing how these bikes are known to have problems with tensioner then would it not be a wise idea to inspect them right off hand anyways?  If you bought a car and knew the company had a tendency to have issues with one thing or another wouldn't you check them out?

Is this common sense?  Or am I being stupid again?  I think I am going to do the workup on this bike so I can be completely confident in knowing my way around it, and what shape it is in right now.  Checking tensioner, adjusting valves, air filter, carb check, etc.  I don't think it is a wise thing to rely on noises and mileage alone to be confident in a bike, at least not one you want to keep for any length of time.

I think that even if I had not taken the bolt out, it would be the wisest decision on a bike like this, to check out the tensioner.  I guess there would be some exceptions, like knowing the guy pretty well that you bought the bike from, one owner, very low miles, so on and so forth. But this is not one of those times.

Wish me luck!  Or tell me I am insane!  I've been reading up, but any other tips or tricks are sure appreciated.  I like pictures, so I will be taking a bunch.

IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #29 - 08/27/10 at 09:11:12

Besides, if I were to blow the engine, or something else, it would cost me more time and money to drive my truck and fix the bike than to just check it.  Sure, the guide is probably still on, but who is to say that this is not just the grace of God pushing me into checking out the tensioner?  I will be flabbergasted if I take the case off, the guide is still on, and the tensioner is hanging by a thread Shocked

Hope I make it home from work, lol

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:20:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Cam Chain Guide ooppsie

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.