Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Rear Cam Chain Guide ooppsie (Read 768 times)
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Rear Cam Chain Guide ooppsie
08/24/10 at 10:27:46

So the detailed description is on my other post "front fender alignment" but seeing how it doesn't really go under that topic I thought I would make a new one here.

So I made an ooppsie with the rear guide of the cam chain.  I took the top 10mm bolt almost out, but as I described before, I do not believe it ever came out of the guide itself.  I could be wrong, and so that is the reason why I post this.

Is there a way of telling whether or not it did come out?  Is there anything that would be 'telling' me, sound wise, or performance wise, that the guide is not in the proper place?  Or is it one of those parts that would just start rubbing and not cause a problem until later?  I intend to take it apart the first chance I get, seeing how I like to take things apart so much anyways.  I just am curious as to the ramifications of driving it home and such.  I did not realize what I did until this morning, after I got to work.  

Thanks guys!!

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Rear Cam Chain Guide ooppsie
Reply #1 - 08/24/10 at 10:58:28

The easy way is to start the engine up and if it does not make graunching noises it's okay.
The slow way is to remove the rocker cap and look.
Be sure you reset the valves afterward.

Phelonius
  IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #2 - 08/24/10 at 11:33:44

Well...seeing how I have ridden it over 15 miles already, I am in the clear? lol.  

So your thinking that it would indeed cause some sort of malfunction if the guide was not fasten in place where it should be?

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/24/10 at 11:42:59

rear guide attaches to the cam chain tensioner. If the guide is loose the tensioner has little to no effect. Timing gets thrown off and you get a very large, expensive, heavy paperweight on wheels.

IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #4 - 08/24/10 at 12:02:09

Not negating what you said, and not trying to make a play on words, but doesnt the cam chain tensioner actually attach to the rear guide, which then attaches to the block.

But if I understand what you are trying to say, if it was indeed loose then I would know it?  I get the paper weight thing, that is what i am trying to avoid. lol

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/24/10 at 12:04:02

In my opinion, if you had taken the pin out and the guide dropped, you wouldn't have been able to get it back it.  The nest that the guide sits in is not large enough for it to slip far enough down to allow you to put the pin back in with out it also being in the guide.

WWW   IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #6 - 08/24/10 at 15:22:36

So your saying it 'should' have, not to be confused with "would have", hit up against the guide as I was starting the treads back in the hole.  It is most likely that if the bolt was taken too far out and placed back in it would hit the side of the guide?

I am a big hypochondriac, very big one, I rode the bike on in to school this evening, another 10 or so miles, and it just seemed a little bit more noisy.  But then again, I haven't driven much, and did change the oil last night to a different one, with not as much in there.  

Who knows.  I could be sweating it for nothing, but then again I could have it lock up one doing 55 down the hiway.  Time will tell, but I think I am going to take her apart tommorrow afternoon.  I am thinking just pulling the head cover off should allow me to see the guide and washer and all.  Or would I be better off pulling the side cover and checking it that way?  I wouldn't be able to see the top part of the guide, but shouldn't I be able to tell if it is being held by the bolt up there?

Please advise...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/24/10 at 15:38:11

I advise you to see a shrink, or ride more, eat a bug or two, and worry about when it'll run dry.

WWW   IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #8 - 08/24/10 at 16:25:07

I've had bad experiences with skunks, sometimes I will ride around in a circle at the local walmart parking lot for an hour or two, I much prefere cats over bugs, and I always keep a jug of fresh water and air in case I run dry.

But I still hear voices.....they say, 'click, clack, rattle rattle, bing, spat'...if you guys never hear from me again just know that she ran dry and I decided to take her to the lake and go for a swim.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/25/10 at 00:00:38

You'd have to unscrew that chrome headed bolt & PULL the thing out a pretty good ways to allow the cam chain guide to fall. How farDID you pull it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #10 - 08/25/10 at 05:02:04

I pulled it till i felt it come out of the opposite side "hole" that it sits in.  If you understand what I mean.  It was completely unscrewed, and I started to see a little of the machined surface the guide pivots on, then I felt the tension give a little but not completely, and realized that it was a real bad idea to do what I was doing.  I cannot say that I could tell anyone the exact measurement, I guess I could try it again, lol.  

Would that be a bad idea?  I mean, if I were going to take it apart anyways, what if I backed out that bolt again to see if the tension is still there, or take a measurement?  Or is that trying to push it too far, lol.  Its all fun and games till someone gets an eye poked out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 08/25/10 at 05:17:49

Idsay youd have to pull the threads away from the point they disengaged at least 3/4 of an inch before it would drop the guide. Mines apart, Ill look today. Im bettin youre okay.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #12 - 08/25/10 at 05:42:26

That would be AWESOME to have a pictures of that, the chain guide, what it would look like pulled out far enough to drop the guide, etc.  Pictures of that area would be better than a bar of gold right now.  A picture is worth a thousand words.  THANKS a ton.  I understand if you cannot get pictures, but if you could it would be great.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - 08/25/10 at 07:59:36

NH, I appreciate your investigative qualities but in reading some of your posts I fear you're not leaving well enough alone.
Sure it's fun to tinker with bikes but I would be inclined to tell you "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...like pulling the head off. I'm not trying to discourage you, just saying that stuff can wait till winter.

I may be wrong but it I believe you said this was your first bike, just get on it and ride. Remember, your sitting right on top of the engine...it's bound to make noises.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #14 - 08/25/10 at 08:34:43

Not my first bike.  If it is not broke I do intend to not try and fix it.  But I wasn't trying to fix anything when I took the bolt off, just looking around.  It is definitely something I need to work on, my abject desire to learn the hard way that is.

I appreciate the advise, really I do, and I do just get on it and ride, even when I am unsure of whether or not it does need to be fixed.  That is what I am trying to come to the conclusion about.  I like the point of view, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but unfortunately that statement does not fit into every aspect of a machine.

There is a thing called 'preventive' maintenance, it is much more preferred and shown to have a better outcome than 'reactive' maintenance.  I am trying to 'prevent' anything else from going wrong if indeed I did let the guide slip, or dropped the little washer down in the case.  Not 'react' when my engine locks up because I had the attitude of 'oh well'.   As my actions show, however, I am pretty confident that it did not drop or else I would not be ridding it.

I would assume that seeing how the stock cam chain adjuster is 'known' to pose a failure then it is a wise idea to try and 'fix' them before they break, not fix them after it is broke.  You are correct, and make a very profound and sometimes overlooked statement, that we indeed sit right on top of a running engine while ridding.

They main purpose of this post is to know whether or not to dig deeper.  There is somewhat of a dry humor coming from my end because of the disgust I feel toward by stupidity, not to be confused with ignorance, in doing things I know I shouldn't.  I do not just plan on taking a wrench and throwing nuts and bolts and covers all over the place.  Sometimes the stupid things actually help me in the long run because they make me become more focused and reserved.

I ain't touching a bolt until I get word from Justin on his findings, or the bike locks up on me.  I am not a newbie to the world of mechanics, just stupid at times...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:22:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Cam Chain Guide ooppsie

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.