Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Any guesses on what would cause an oil leak here? (Read 274 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Any guesses on what would cause an oil leak he
Reply #15 - 08/24/10 at 20:40:29

allerretour wrote on 08/24/10 at 14:11:33:
You know, I pulled that plug today and it wasn't as snug as I thought.  I yanked it out pretty easy, and there was no seal on it anywhere, so I bet that thing was leaking (in addition to maybe the head seal).  It seems like a pretty flimsy piece.

Another question.  LWRider over on the Motorcyle Forum (he posts here too, I've seen) suggested replacing the shaft end seal too.  Would that be a good thing to do at the same time?  A thin strip of the rubber had come off of it and was stuck on the head cover, which I had to scrap off.  That left the shaft end seal a bit rough.  I would think that the silicone might be able to fill in the gaps, but I suppose it's safer to replace it, no?

That shaft seal costs about 5 bucks.  If it were me, I'd replace it.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Any guesses on what would cause an oil leak he
Reply #16 - 08/24/10 at 23:57:21

verslagen1 wrote on 08/24/10 at 08:56:01:
allerretour wrote on 08/24/10 at 07:31:03:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/24/10 at 05:02:14:
The sealer crushed out & the valve clearances went to about ZERO. Watch out.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about valve clearances.  Is there something I should be doing?  How can you tell from the photo above?

I think he's referring to the instructions I gave you for the sealer.

Quote:
apply a thin coat, install and hand tighten only, let set, then torque to requirement.

And he's mistakenly said valve when he meant cam.

No, Now, maybe Im wrong as to what the cause is,, but, the valve adj. was real tight. Would the sealer crushing down about zero close the lash?
& yea, I was scared that Id scorched the cam or head cover, but it looks okay.. not perfikk, but okay.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:21:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Any guesses on what would cause an oil leak here?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.