Best windshield? (Read 235 times)
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Best windshield?
08/21/10 at 08:35:09

I am in the market for a windshield. Prefer to buy new, but don't want to spend a fortune. I would like one that can be (relatively) easily detached for summer riding. I am also on the look out for "hand shields." I have seen some for dirt bikes ... painted really ugly. I have also seen a pair that were clear, unpainted ... match the windshield. These attached to the mirror supports. Not sure where to look for these items. I am sure I could get them from a dealer, but at what cost? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IP Logged
Ruddy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spokane, WA
Re: Best windshield?
Reply #1 - 08/21/10 at 20:00:38

I've been happy with several National Cycle windshields over the years. Here's a link to what they have for the S40/Savage:

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/nresults2.html?search_model=su-085

Rick
'06 S40
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #2 - 08/21/10 at 21:21:42

Just went with National Cycle Ranger Heavy Duty. Looks good on the bike. right height for me, somewhat fussy install. All in all I'm quite happy with it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/21/10 at 21:33:04

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 08/21/10 at 21:45:48

I am very happy w/ my recently installed Slipstreamers Falcon. Its a fairing type windshield w/ hand covers,.... model 32-20 I think it was.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 08/22/10 at 03:34:43

I have several, take a look at the ebay ad; I'll make you a really good deal if you want one of them

EBAY STORE

http://stores.ebay.com/SAVAGE-PERFORMANCE

the ad says windshield only, no hardware;  I do have some hardware and will include that for a VERY REASONABLE cost....basically, you'll get a new windshield for 1/2 price or less

if you want the exact measurements of the windshields I can get that for you sometime today

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 08/23/10 at 05:33:50

I have the Slipstreamer Spitfire.  Fine if you are under say 5'3, like me, but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone much taller, unless you want to look over it.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #7 - 08/24/10 at 06:10:12

Actually, I wear an insulated suit for winter riding, with snowmobile gloves, but my hands are the only cold weather problems. Considering the expense of the windshields, I may opt to just try the hand deflectors first. I am not doing long trips. The problem with the hand deflectors that I have seen online, like the site in the link posted above, is that the dealer is unclear. The site says quantity ONE hand deflector - 85 dollars, which is a load to pay for a little piece of plastic. Do they mean one set, or one deflector? They don't say that. Another site also quoted the 85-dollar price, but when I checked in the cart, the site automatically posted quantity TWO, and that came to about 200 dollars, with shipping. I am just not going to pay 200 bucks for two little pieces of plastic. There should be a solution to this.

IP Logged
jimsgirl
YaBB Newbies

Boulevard S40  
 Rose &
Pearl

Campbell, California
Reply #8 - 08/24/10 at 19:40:23

www.windvest.com

they are on ebay and amazon also. Smiley

A strong man sails by ash breeze.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/25/10 at 04:34:20

Seems like a square foot of 1/4" plexiglass & some time spent coming up with some mounting hardware& a guy could build his own hand deflectors.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #10 - 08/25/10 at 05:39:48

The hardware that I have seen is simple ... a metal strap that attaches to the mirror post and is made to be bent to the proper angle to mount the Plexiglas. The issue would be either finding a Plexiglas cup that would work (that's all the 85-dollar hand deflector is) or somehow heating and forming one.
I have seen hand deflectors for dirt bikes at a local cycle shop. I believe they cost 20-30 dollars a pair, obviously a lot more reasonable. The store employee, however, was immediately negative ... saying those won't fit on the S40. Apparently, they attach to the ends of the handlebar grips somehow. I have to believe that, for the huge difference in price, a pair of those deflectors could be made to work on a light cruiser, like the S40. I will be looking at that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:20:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best windshield?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.