Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Engine Ticking + Harsh shifting? (Read 383 times)
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine Ticking + Harsh shifting?
08/19/10 at 00:14:51

hey guys. I recently bought a 1996 LS650 Savage and its a great bike.

however, I've noticed a progressively louder ticking (last 1500km) and I hate to say it sounds like valved. It usually only happens at a certain RPM, somewhere in the lower-midrange. Has anyone had this problem and can help diagnose?

Shifting is another problem for me. Shifting from neutral into 1st is a very rough sound and I normally have to very slowly move the bike forward while shifting to have a smooth shift. Its also VERY clunky when downshifting from 2nd to 1st. I also have a hard time going from 4th to 5th, and it seems like 5th is hardly there because I dont notice much difference.

any advice?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Engine Ticking + Harsh shifting?
Reply #1 - 08/19/10 at 04:35:26

I don't know this engine all that well yet, but when the engine experts wake up and read this, they will want  to know the miliage on the engine first of all.

When were the valves adjusted last ?

The rough shifting into 1st sounds like too much slack (freeplay) in the clutch cable adjustment.

There is only a few RPM difference tween 4th & 5th kinda like an overdrive. When up shifting, if you hold upward pressure on the gear shifter untill the clutch is fully engaged, can make for more positive shifting. It is at times the "nature of the beast"

PS..........
Welcome to the forum,.....you are for sure in the right place.
Be aware,....there are several here that when it comes to these bikes, think they know it all, and they do ! Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #2 - 08/19/10 at 05:58:06

That is the nature of the beast with these bikes. Mine has been that way from day one as far as shifting. My engine will tick louder if it is a little low on oil, at the bottom of sight glass compared to the top fill line. It will also tick if the oil is old/needing changed. Old oil can also make it harder to shift. I would change the oil and do a good tune up on your bike. The valves should sound like a sewing machine, a nice ticking sound that isn't too loud.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/19/10 at 07:22:13

All good advice, get you valves adjusted.
Be sure to check the cam chain threads well before you hit 20,000 miles.

WWW   IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #4 - 08/19/10 at 07:24:40

My ticking noise turned out to be my cam-chain, cam adjuster, and cam-chain-tensioner.

Happened  around 15,000 miles.

Got the Verslavy adjuster here on the forum.

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/19/10 at 11:48:56

Thanks guys. I JUST ran over 10,000km which is like 6,000 miles.

as fas as ownership I've never changed the oil. I intend on doing it today. Im going to use SeaFoam in the tank + crankcase, ride around for a bit, then drain oil and replace with 1:1 Lucas oil stabilizer + 20w/50oil to see if it smoothens things up.

Really don't want to get into valve adjustment and cam chain stuff..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/19/10 at 11:58:42

sillydilly wrote on 08/19/10 at 11:48:56:
Thanks guys. I JUST ran over 10,000km which is like 6,000 miles.

Don't be a silly, get your valves adjusted.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 08/19/10 at 15:35:39

sillydilly,

Ya gots you a mild case of Bill's disease -- which is an irrational reluctance to work on your bike when it needs it.

Working on your own bike is immensely satisfying as this one is VERY easy to work on and take care of.

We gots us wimmen and disabled old men on this list who work on these Savage engines and they get a lot of personal gratification out of fixing 'er up themselves.

Because, by golly -- they can !!

....  and so can you.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/20/10 at 01:44:34

thanks oldfeller.

unfortunately due to lack of knowledge, funds, and tools.. I ended up doing a lot of 'work' to an 81 xj650 I have and a lot of half-arsed techniques to get it running again.

I was going to check valves today and I was trying to get that little cover off on the left crankcase side and ended up piercing a hole through it. had to rip off the entire case and JB weld it.

me and my brother Rocky spent a few hours cleaning up the old torn gasket and debating on using gasket paper, silicone, or form-a-gasket to make a solid seal when we decide to remount it. almost safe to say that cover is ceased on and wont want to come off next time.

Right now going to let the JB dry overnight and decide what to do in the morning. really hate dealing with gaskets.

ill post some pics in the morning Sad

IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/23/10 at 00:40:15

well today me Rocky, Parker, and Little T did some routine maintenance to my bike and got it going alright.

Turns out it wasnt the valves rattling its the old speedo-rattle and I've decided not to fix it.

The harsh shifting was cured by 1L of Lucas oil stabalizer + 1L of 20w/50 oil.

Only thing I need now is to get rid of this YZ144 out of my shop it is taking up too much room!  Angry

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 08/23/10 at 03:08:13

"Turns out it wasnt the valves rattling its the old speedo-rattle and I've decided not to fix it.

The harsh shifting was cured by 1L of Lucas oil stabalizer + 1L of 20w/50 oil."

Yep, the "magic stuff" in the oil ....  and the "I've decided not to fix it" The Bills symptoms are present,  but the patient is still willing and active and is fighting the rest of his issues.

Nurse, note on his chart he did adjust his valves, so he's certainly not into the late stages of Bill's disease yet,  he's just showing a couple of the typical early symptoms.  Also note he is also way way too young to have terminal Bills and he still is doing some routine maintenance.

Nurse, let's give him 500 ccs of penicillin B and a Clymers manual -- there is certainly a lot of hope here for this one.   Schedule him for "Search Function in the Tech Section" and the "The Tech Index, your first friend" classes and have him come back in six weeks.   He still has that nasty speedo rattle that needs attention once the big shot of penicillin gets his system back into normal mode.

===========================

Sillydilly, we are right proud of you for getting your bike running again.  Do you have any plans for making a bobber or a cafe racer out of it?    Them Cafe types sure do look purty as does a well turned out bobber.   Bobbers don't cost a lot to do since you reuse most of the existing parts after chopping them.

Now drop drawers and bend over the examination table -- the nurse has a little present for you that may sting a little bit. 

(Nurse, you did warm that penicillin up to room temperature this time, didn't you?  

I hate it when they yell out so loud in the office like that ....)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 08/23/10 at 03:29:23

OF these aren't harleys you don't have to work on them all week so you can ride on the weekend.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 08/23/10 at 03:45:00

Dr. Bill !!

Fancy meeting you over here!

While you are here, Dr. would you please explain to Sillydilly why putting a 50% mix of thick goopy stuff in his oil may possibly could mebbe cause him to have some issues with his wet clutch slipping and possibly building up some hard slick glazing compounds on his plate surfaces?

You are our second most revered oil expert after all, and you are here today and Dr. Verslagen is out playing golf.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 08/23/10 at 04:00:26

OF the reason valves need adjusting is wear what causes wear cheap oil,Now OF you wouldn't be using a cheap oil would you.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 08/23/10 at 04:16:56

Valves need adjusted more when its new. The pointy ends of the adjuster start to mushroom a bit, till they harden up & get pounded down as far as theyre gonna go. OIl cant keep that from happening.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:25:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Ticking + Harsh shifting?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.