Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Straight Pipe a Stock Savage (Read 1784 times)
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Re: Straight Pipe a Stock Savage
Reply #75 - 08/25/10 at 12:23:46

In MA I think it's illegal to have a bike louder than 105db and a car louder than 99db or something like that.. they give bikes a small bit more wiggle room, but it's still gotta be pretty quiet.. I measured my bike with a dinky iphone app and it maxed out at 125db.  There was a new law that allowed cops to just say it's loud and give you a ticket so they don't need to prove it.

"everything's illegal in massachusettes"-edge of darkness

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #76 - 08/25/10 at 18:06:01

james may wrote on 08/25/10 at 12:23:46:
In MA I think it's illegal to have a bike louder than 105db and a car louder than 99db or something like that.. they give bikes a small bit more wiggle room, but it's still gotta be pretty quiet.. I measured my bike with a dinky iphone app and it maxed out at 125db.  There was a new law that allowed cops to just say it's loud and give you a ticket so they don't need to prove it.

How did you measure it? The closer you put the meter, the louder the sound will be (obviously). The angle at which you place the meter, relative to the end of the exhaust, plays a very important role in sound intensity as well.

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #77 - 08/25/10 at 18:09:12

feelinjunky wrote on 08/25/10 at 18:06:01:
james may wrote on 08/25/10 at 12:23:46:

How did you measure it? The closer you put the meter, the louder the sound will be (obviously). The angle at which you place the meter, relative to the end of the exhaust, plays a very important role in sound intensity as well.

turned on the app and dropped the phone 15ft away from the bike then revved it up..  I can set off car alarms with my bike.. I bet the stock exhaust would exceed 150db if you put your ear right up to it.. the noise generated by ear buds right in your ears is enough to deafen you, but 2ft away you can't even hear it.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #78 - 08/25/10 at 18:17:15

the article I read said 80 db from 50ft from centerline while going 35 mph was the federal standard.

WWW   IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #79 - 08/25/10 at 19:43:27

verslagen1 wrote on 08/25/10 at 18:17:15:
the article I read said 80 db from 50ft from centerline while going 35 mph was the federal standard.

You got it! 80 db on grass road, 83 or 86 db on flat pavement I believe. 50 ft from centerline is a big difference in sound than 50ft from behind the bike as well. Try measuring it from the side and you'll be within a more normal range.

I would not doubt 150db if you put your ear right up the the exhaust, but that can't be practically done when the bike is moving, which is why the standard is 50ft.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #80 - 08/25/10 at 19:45:14

feelinjunky wrote on 08/25/10 at 19:43:27:

You got it! 80 db on grass road, 83 or 86 db on flat pavement I believe. 50 ft from centerline is a big difference in sound than 50ft from behind the bike as well. Try measuring it from the side and you'll be within a more normal range.

I would not doubt 150db if you put your ear right up the the exhaust, but that can't be practically done when the bike is moving, which is why the standard is 50ft.

What? the technician worried about getting run over?
I think its 50ft cause it's the typical distance from the centerline of road to house.

WWW   IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #81 - 08/25/10 at 21:45:38

verslagen1 wrote on 08/25/10 at 19:45:14:
feelinjunky wrote on 08/25/10 at 19:43:27:

What? the technician worried about getting run over?
I think its 50ft cause it's the typical distance from the centerline of road to house.

Well, I was thinking along these lines...why would anyone ever have their head right next to the pipe when the bike is moving? There's no practical reason in having measuring standards from a distance of zero.

IP Logged
Ruddy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spokane, WA
Reply #82 - 08/31/10 at 11:29:02

Hashbrown wrote on 08/24/10 at 12:45:38:
just wanted to comment my experience today.  i was driving my cage today since the weather was looking bad and was going to change lanes, checked my rear view and glanced at the side mirror and didnt see anything.  was about to turn when i heard the low rumble of pipes approaching.  i was in the slow lane and wanted to pass a car, the harley was behind me in my blind spot and i would have completely cut him off possibly runing him off the road if it werent for his pipes.  he had short cut pipes that were loud but on the highway i didnt hear it untill he was right in my zone.  this was the first time i was on the giving end of a potential disaster involving a motorcycle and i thought of this post immediately after it happened

i wasnt annoid with him or the sound, and i thanked my lucky stars that he had pipes that i could hear.  Believe me as a driver of a car on occation, i would much rather be temporarily annoyed with a loud pipe then have to suffer the lifelong guilt of killing someone.  

If you adjust your mirrors properly, you won't have blind spots. You should have to tilt your head to the left almost to the side window to see the side of your car. On the right, you should have to turn your head to see the side of the car. I can see a car (or bike) coming up from behind in the left in the rear view mirror and immediately pick it up in the side mirror as it begins to disappear from the rear view mirror. Same thing on the right side. Try it. BTW, you should adjust your bike mirrors so you can see who's overtaking you--not just your sleeves!

Rick
'06 S40
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #83 - 09/01/10 at 16:04:14

Coming from Europe (Germany) I am sometimes simply shocked what cops in the US are allowed to do. I sometimes hear stories about what they did and CAN do, that it reminds me more on Communism than anything else. Besides for the fact that they usually are on the prowl in their cruisers alone by themselves, that anything done like that wouldn't stand up in a german court. They require TWO officers in a patrol car any time they're on duty. In my town here in Oklahoma, whenever there's a wreck or something, no matter what the person at fault did wrong, it still remains at the discretion of the police officer to issue a citation! That is nothing but a bad joke!

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #84 - 06/22/11 at 16:34:33

Hahahahahaha

I saw this thread and thought, allright a six page discussion on straight pipes this is going to be alot of good info...

It turns out it was just a long unwinable argument. Undecided

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Jwag11
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #85 - 06/22/17 at 14:52:37

Is straight piping a good idea I'm on a low budget

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #86 - 06/22/17 at 15:06:47

Jwag11 wrote on 06/22/17 at 14:52:37:

No idea.  Definitely cheaper in parts, but from what I've been told on here I can not tune a carb with a straight pipe.  

I might start a thread on that specific topic.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #87 - 06/22/17 at 16:40:26

If your setting off car alarms, you're too loud...
That gives us all a bad name...

Muffle that suckker...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #88 - 06/23/17 at 02:35:11

No, an open straight pipe is not a good idea...it is too loud and it causes a sag in the mid range performance.  The engine runs smoother and provides more "usable" power with a baffled pipe - as most riding is done in the rpm range where the sag occurs.

Most of the articles on this subject are Harley related - but they do apply to the Savage.

Here is the applicable statement from a Harley tuning Guru:
And Do Not install straight, open pipes, especially long ones. If you do, forget everything I've said. Straight open exhaust-equipped engines run poorly in the 2,000- to 3,500-rpm range and no amount of carb tuning can fix that.

http://forums.cycleworld.com/showthread.php?t=34784

And here is an applicable YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #89 - 06/23/17 at 09:28:16

Jwag11 wrote on 06/22/17 at 14:52:37:

If you're on a budget, check out the Dyna/Sportster conversion in the tech section.  You can pick those up for under $40 if you're lucky. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:26:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Straight Pipe a Stock Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.