Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Straight Pipe a Stock Savage (Read 1784 times)
Scarlett
Ex Member

Re: Straight Pipe a Stock Savage
Reply #60 - 08/24/10 at 12:14:54

So are you truly naïve enough to believe that a representative democracy truly equates to the “will of the people”.  Since when does a politician’s constituents have more say than the power-hungry lobbyists over how he or she votes?  Our government is incredibly corrupt and yes, it is in part the corporations fault, but it is mostly the fault of the voters that allow it to happen time and time again.  We give away our rights so freely because everyone thinks that more laws must be better for us and no one ever stops to think about what made this country so great in the first part.  This country came to power because people were sick and tired of loosing their rights and personal freedoms.  It’s bad enough when it happens due to a lack of representation – it is far worse however when it occurs specifically BECAUSE of your representation.

Soon enough, it will be illegal to think for yourself, to voice dissent, or to attempt to defend you and your loved ones.  At that point, you will have a representative dictatorship, rather than a representative democracy.

It is a very slippery slope we’re on and it starts small, with a minor right infringed here, or a minor right completely taken away there, and it soon becomes just as Hashbrown described, that we’ll be boiling before we even realize we’re sitting in warm water.  This goes far beyond who thinks what decibel is too loud for pipes, this is a direct reflection on an Americans right and ability to control their own lives without interference from government bureaucrats thinking they’re “here to help”, when in reality they are neutering the sentiments of independence that made this country great once.  

BuckRYCA wrote on 08/24/10 at 10:55:26:
We live in a representative democracy. (If there's any 'raping of rights' going on it is far more by corporations who have their own perverted ideas of their proportion of representation than it is by our governments.)

Now where do laws and rules come from in a representative democracy? They come from the will of the people.  They do not materialize out of no where.

There are laws at all governmental levels on vehicle noise generation. If there weren't I believe most of us would be a lot unhappier. Remember it's about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. But here's the complicated part. It's not these three things just for you, it's these three things for everyone.

Now just because you can get away with loud piping your motorcycle, and just because others are doing the same, it doesn't make what you are doing right. It doesn't make the law any less valid or the will of the people any less clear.

Riding a motorcycle is a personal choice and one you should make in full awareness of substantial additional risks. You can improve your odds by wearing a helmet and bright colored protective clothing, using a headlight modulator, mounting a loud horn, and riding sober and smart (make sure intersections are clear, dont' tailgate, don't pass left-turning vehicles on the right, keep out of driver's blind spots, drive at the right speed for the conditions, go into turns slow and go out fast, etc. etc. etc.). These measures together make a loud pipe not only illegal, but unnecessary.

P.S. I've got to admit this debate is more enjoyable than an Oil War or Seafoam thread. Wink

IP Logged
Scarlett
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 08/24/10 at 12:16:20

verslagen1 wrote on 08/24/10 at 11:57:43:
So I'm going down the road, completely stock bike just as I got it.
Still relatively inexperienced, traveling down the superslab, left of center in the lane, heavy traffic about 30 mph.  The guy next to me has ilegally tinted windows, ac on most likely.  I would be eye to eye with the idiot if I could see him.  Said idiot decides my lane is faster and procedes to cut over.  This is not some urban myth you just read.  But an actual account by a fellow savage.

A month or two later, I get a supertrapp and it hasn't happened since.

Burn has said he's been run off the road several times.  He has also gotten a louder pipe with the same results.

Now buck, you keep saying that a loud pipe is ilegal and unnecessary.
And Charon, you say only stock noise levels should be allowed.
I'm sure my ex would have appreciated all of the insurance money.

Since these event happen with regular occurance with a stock pipe, and are now rare with a moderately louder pipe, I'm sure you can appreciate my opinion that quiet pipes reduce the awareness of the surrounding cagers.  No brightly colored helmet or jacket will improve it, my helmet is yellow and red, my jacket is bright blue.  My bike is red.  And yet I can sit eye to eye with my neighbor and he won't see me.

+1

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #62 - 08/24/10 at 12:28:10

BuckRYCA wrote on 08/24/10 at 10:55:26:
We live in a representative democracy. (If there's any 'raping of rights' going on it is far more by corporations who have their own perverted ideas of their proportion of representation than it is by our governments.)

Now where do laws and rules come from in a representative democracy? They come from the will of the people.  They do not materialize out of no where.

There are laws at all governmental levels on vehicle noise generation. If there weren't I believe most of us would be a lot unhappier. Remember it's about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. But here's the complicated part. It's not these three things just for you, it's these three things for everyone.

Now just because you can get away with loud piping your motorcycle, and just because others are doing the same, it doesn't make what you are doing right. It doesn't make the law any less valid or the will of the people any less clear.

Riding a motorcycle is a personal choice and one you should make in full awareness of substantial additional risks. You can improve your odds by wearing a helmet and bright colored protective clothing, using a headlight modulator, mounting a loud horn, and riding sober and smart (make sure intersections are clear, dont' tailgate, don't pass left-turning vehicles on the right, keep out of driver's blind spots, drive at the right speed for the conditions, go into turns slow and go out fast, etc. etc. etc.). These measures together make a loud pipe not only illegal, but unnecessary.

P.S. I've got to admit this debate is more enjoyable than an Oil War or Seafoam thread. Wink

You are completely missing the point. No matter how good of a driver you are, you cannot control what others do. The only way is to make yourself noticed. That will have an impact on other drivers. The BEST way is audible noise because not everyone can see 360 degrees all the time (cagers who don't check their blind spot), but they can definitely hear all around.

Scarlett, what is loud or soft to you is not loud and soft to everyone else. Everyone will never be happy. Politics and Government are irrelevant at best if a cop doesn't pull me over with my straight pipe.

Yes, the feds are corrupt dbags, but I'm tired of hearing of it. People have been saying the same crap since government began. Either do something or don't mention it. Stop the 3 y.o. crying and complaining.

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #63 - 08/24/10 at 12:45:38

just wanted to comment my experience today.  i was driving my cage today since the weather was looking bad and was going to change lanes, checked my rear view and glanced at the side mirror and didnt see anything.  was about to turn when i heard the low rumble of pipes approaching.  i was in the slow lane and wanted to pass a car, the harley was behind me in my blind spot and i would have completely cut him off possibly runing him off the road if it werent for his pipes.  he had short cut pipes that were loud but on the highway i didnt hear it untill he was right in my zone.  this was the first time i was on the giving end of a potential disaster involving a motorcycle and i thought of this post immediately after it happened

i wasnt annoid with him or the sound, and i thanked my lucky stars that he had pipes that i could hear.  Believe me as a driver of a car on occation, i would much rather be temporarily annoyed with a loud pipe then have to suffer the lifelong guilt of killing someone.

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
Scarlett
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 08/24/10 at 12:47:57

feelinjunky wrote on 08/24/10 at 12:28:10:
Scarlett, what is loud or soft to you is not loud and soft to everyone else. Everyone will never be happy. Politics and Government are irrelevant at best if a cop doesn't pull me over with my straight pipe.

Yes, the feds are corrupt dbags, but I'm tired of hearing of it. People have been saying the same crap since government began. Either do something or don't mention it. Stop the 3 y.o. crying and complaining.

If you're tired of hearing it, then feel free to continue to bury your head in the sand and ignore the problem.  I choose to stand up for my rights and voice my opinions when I see an injustice.  Explain to me how a well thought out argument and rebuttal can be construed as a 3 year old's crying and complaining.  By your logic, our forefathers must have been the biggest babies around, huh?

As to your first paragraph - I have no idea what you were trying to say as your comprehension of grammar and sentence structure is distinctly lacking.  Were I to attempt to understand it, it sounds like you are actually in agreement with me because I am absolutely AGAINST laws that would restrict the decibel level of exhaust pipes.  So I suggest you read my posts a little more carefully before shooting off a poorly thought-out, ill-defined, “crying and complaining” post of your own.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #65 - 08/24/10 at 12:51:00

I don't know about drivers in other states but around here I have driven with quiet pipes and pipes a little louder and loud pipes and I could never see any difference.If you drive normal cars do see you.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #66 - 08/24/10 at 13:16:28

Scarlett wrote on 08/24/10 at 12:47:57:
feelinjunky wrote on 08/24/10 at 12:28:10:

If you're tired of hearing it, then feel free to continue to bury your head in the sand and ignore the problem.  I choose to stand up for my rights and voice my opinions when I see an injustice.  Explain to me how a well thought out argument and rebuttal can be construed as a 3 year old's crying and complaining.  By your logic, our forefathers must have been the biggest babies around, huh?

As to your first paragraph - I have no idea what you were trying to say as your comprehension of grammar and sentence structure is distinctly lacking.  Were I to attempt to understand it, it sounds like you are actually in agreement with me because I am absolutely AGAINST laws that would restrict the decibel level of exhaust pipes.  So I suggest you read my posts a little more carefully before shooting off a poorly thought-out, ill-defined, “crying and complaining” post of your own.

And what the result of "voicing your opinions?" ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! That's my point, if you failed to see it earlier (hence the 3 y.o. remark). Our forefathers DID things, and not talked about doing them, as you are. I have full respect for them.

Excuse me, I missed a comma (,) between "best" and "if." Other than that, my sentence has perfect grammar. You miss much more than I do anyway, but I digress.

And yes, I am also against laws restricting the loudness of motorcycles. I'm glad you caught on. I wouldn't be posting this thread if I wasn't against them.

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #67 - 08/24/10 at 13:18:12

bill67 wrote on 08/24/10 at 12:51:00:
I don't know about drivers in other states but around here I have driven with quiet pipes and pipes a little louder and loud pipes and I could never see any difference.If you drive normal cars do see you.

That's exactly my point. Where you live, loud pipes are not necessary. Where I live, everyone has them.

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #68 - 08/24/10 at 13:28:36

so back to the originally topic, what pipes are you gonna get junky

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #69 - 08/24/10 at 13:35:59

Hard Krome from Lancer most likely. Not totally straight pipe to make my engine run badly, but just just barely enough to provide the backpressure necessary. It'll be pretty much just as loud as a straight pipe.

IP Logged
Scarlett
Ex Member

Reply #70 - 08/24/10 at 15:22:37

feelinjunky wrote on 08/24/10 at 13:16:28:
And what the result of "voicing your opinions?" ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! That's my point, if you failed to see it earlier (hence the 3 y.o. remark). Our forefathers DID things, and not talked about doing them, as you are. I have full respect for them.

Excuse me, I missed a comma (,) between "best" and "if." Other than that, my sentence has perfect grammar. You miss much more than I do anyway, but I digress.

And yes, I am also against laws restricting the loudness of motorcycles. I'm glad you caught on. I wouldn't be posting this thread if I wasn't against them.

So your thought-process tells you that anyone that chooses to voice their opinion about the government is a 3 year old?  How exactly did you come to that conclusion?  Furthermore, how is it that you feel that someone voicing an opinion on this forum isn't also backing up those opinions with deeds and actions out in the "real" world?  

I'm a combat veteran, boy - that means I've done FAR more to back up my words and opinions than the majority of the people here, including yourself, I would imagine.  So I recommend you watch who you try to chastise for talking instead of taking action, before you end up looking even more like an ignorant ass.

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #71 - 08/24/10 at 17:11:26

Scarlett wrote on 08/24/10 at 15:22:37:
So your thought-process tells you that anyone that chooses to voice their opinion about the government is a 3 year old?  How exactly did you come to that conclusion?  Furthermore, how is it that you feel that someone voicing an opinion on this forum isn't also backing up those opinions with deeds and actions out in the "real" world?  

I'm a combat veteran, boy - that means I've done FAR more to back up my words and opinions than the majority of the people here, including yourself, I would imagine.  So I recommend you watch who you try to chastise for talking instead of taking action, before you end up looking even more like an ignorant ass.

My "thought-process" tells you that anyone that chooses to voice their opinion about the government and do nothing else is like a 3 year old.

Now if you do back up your opinions with deeds and actions in the real world, it's a totally different story. You hadn't mentioned that before. The vast majority of people do nothing but complain, which is why I assumed and thought you were one of them.

Example: Even though I didn't vote, I don't think Barak Obama should have been elected for presidency. That is not necessarily what I believe or promote. I'm just giving an example.

As a result, I rarely complain and moan. Instead of saying "people should drive better and look where they turn so they see me," I say "I will MAKE them notice me by replacing my exhaust."

Thanks for understanding. No hard feelings. :beer:

IP Logged
Scarlett
Ex Member

Reply #72 - 08/24/10 at 18:30:57

feelinjunky wrote on 08/24/10 at 17:11:26:
Thanks for understanding. No hard feelings. :beer:

I can live with that.  Smiley  

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #73 - 08/25/10 at 08:21:42

Someone mentioned Denver as having sound laws on bikes. I live in Denver, everyone is running loud everything (cars, speakers, bikes, lawn mowers). I like to go to the mountains for peace and quiet (but even in the middle of nowhere you hear the jets overhead)
but I run loud pipes here in town.

I think I heard somewhere (my MSF instructor?) that it was reversed because the Police bikes actually failed the testing... Grin

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Scarlett
Ex Member

Reply #74 - 08/25/10 at 08:29:25

Bubba wrote on 08/25/10 at 08:21:42:
Someone mentioned Denver as having sound laws on bikes. I live in Denver, everyone is running loud everything (cars, speakers, bikes, lawn mowers). I like to go to the mountains for peace and quiet (but even in the middle of nowhere you hear the jets overhead)
but I run loud pipes here in town.

I think I heard somewhere (my MSF instructor?) that it was reversed because the Police bikes actually failed the testing... Grin

Those laws are hard to enforce because the police don't have the training or equipment to test for it out on the streets, so yeah, while it may sound loud to them, they can't prove that it breaks the law.

I run straight Vance and Hines on my VTX 1800 with the baffles removed and have never had a problem - and that's after bike trips from NH down to PA, FL, and Montreal.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:21:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Straight Pipe a Stock Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.