Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Straight Pipe a Stock Savage (Read 1784 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Straight Pipe a Stock Savage
Reply #45 - 08/23/10 at 16:03:25

As a matter of fact, I am quite serious. In fact, I would go further. WILLFUL violation of the Federal noise LAWS would cause the machine to be impounded. You would not get a fix-it ticket - the bike would be impounded. You would not ride it away for repair - it would be towed. It could only be released to an authorized dealership for that brand, and could not be released from that dealership until it had been restored to a factory exhaust and emissions. To put it quite bluntly,  you are WILLFULLY violating the law of the land. Your "right" to make obnoxious noise ends where my ears begin. Any more questions?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #46 - 08/23/10 at 16:45:28

Yes my neighbors Pit bull barks and growls at me every time I mow my lawn.Its tight up put can just reach my lot line,Its new young neighbors that just moved in.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #47 - 08/23/10 at 16:51:17

Charon wrote on 08/23/10 at 16:03:25:
As a matter of fact, I am quite serious. In fact, I would go further. WILLFUL violation of the Federal noise LAWS would cause the machine to be impounded. You would not get a fix-it ticket - the bike would be impounded. You would not ride it away for repair - it would be towed. It could only be released to an authorized dealership for that brand, and could not be released from that dealership until it had been restored to a factory exhaust and emissions. To put it quite bluntly,  you are WILLFULLY violating the law of the land. Your "right" to make obnoxious noise ends where my ears begin. Any more questions?

Law of the land? HAHA I didn't think there could be anyone this close minded especially on this forum but you have proved me wrong.

You sound like a miserable old man who didn't get his meds.

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #48 - 08/23/10 at 17:09:32

Charon clearly lives in the middle of nowhere, where the loudest sound heard is a bird chirping 5 miles away. I would agree with him that loud motorcycles are unnecessary in the middle of bumblecrappity smack.

Here in central/northern NJ, there is much more noise, and what may seem like a loud motorcycle to you, is a standard one here.

Drivers here are among the world's worst. I would rather pay a fine than get hit by a car that didn't see me, as I have been before.

Location plays a main role in how loud a motorcycle should be. Live here for a while and you'll understand.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #49 - 08/23/10 at 17:54:00

So, what you are saying is that I am not entitled to an opinion, because it differs from yours. Or did I miss something?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #50 - 08/23/10 at 21:09:14

So the logic is that the louder and more chaotic the surroundings, the louder and more chaotic we have the right to be? If a loud pipe will indeed save my life, why shouldn't I take a hacksaw to my 4L Jeep's exhaust pipe? That will make some noise! And why shouldn't everyone else do the same?

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #51 - 08/23/10 at 21:15:16

ya call that a friendly opinion?

WWW   IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #52 - 08/23/10 at 21:18:30

BuckRYCA wrote on 08/23/10 at 21:09:14:
So the logic is that the louder and more chaotic the surroundings, the louder and more chaotic we have the right to be? If a loud pipe will indeed save my life, why shouldn't I take a hacksaw to my 4L Jeep's exhaust pipe? That will make some noise! And why shouldn't everyone else do the same?

No one is holding a gun to your head and stopping you.

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #53 - 08/23/10 at 21:29:29

Charon wrote on 08/23/10 at 17:54:00:
So, what you are saying is that I am not entitled to an opinion, because it differs from yours. Or did I miss something?

nope, you are completely entitled to ur opinion, but we live in the greatest country in the world where we can differ from ur opinion and say it out loud through public channels.  which goes back to the heart of the issue, not loud pipes, but on increasing government involvement in our lives and the gradual raping of our personal freedoms.  

put a frog in boiling water and it'll jump out immediately, put it in cold water and slowly bring to a boil and he will never know he is being cooked.  every ounce of freedom u give up, every inch u give to them, they will take a mile.  and before u even realize whats happened, you've replaced liberty with complacentcy and apathetic comfort.  and while u think life is lukewarm, ur really being cooked alive.

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #54 - 08/23/10 at 21:42:35

BuckRYCA wrote on 08/23/10 at 21:09:14:

A lot of people here have loud exhausts. I've seen a few STRAIGHT PIPED Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredos around here.

I didn't say I have a "RIGHT" to be loud. I actually prefer a quieter exhaust. But if you want to ride where I'm from, you need to be noticed AUDIBLY. All other applicable forms are already found in cars around here (ex: 55watt HIDS). Pretty much the only way to separate yourself from the pack is to be loud. And you really should separate yourself because a motorcycle rider is at a greater danger than a car driver and therefore should be noticed more to avoid an accident.

I also want to go over the top to send a message to those straight piped civics who think their ricer is the loudest and fastest car in the world.  Wink

I also never said you're not entitled to an opinion. Making up things like that is not cool.

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #55 - 08/23/10 at 22:00:40

Regarding all this talk about "rights" and "laws," I wanted to post the actual law on motorcycle noise.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2003/olrdata/tra/rpt/2003-r-0676.htm

Basically, your motorcycle has to be <84db going 36mph on a paved road.

Also, FEDERAL law states no more than 80db at 2840rpm standing still (source: EPA label on my Savage XD). I believe that is measured 20 inches away from the tip of the muffler at a 45 degree angle, just like cars and trucks.

IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 08/24/10 at 06:30:28

kevinphan wrote on 08/23/10 at 16:51:17:

Law of the land? HAHA I didn't think there could be anyone this close minded especially on this forum but you have proved me wrong.

You sound like a miserable old man who didn't get his meds.

+1

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #57 - 08/24/10 at 10:55:26

We live in a representative democracy. (If there's any 'raping of rights' going on it is far more by corporations who have their own perverted ideas of their proportion of representation than it is by our governments.)

Now where do laws and rules come from in a representative democracy? They come from the will of the people.  They do not materialize out of no where.

There are laws at all governmental levels on vehicle noise generation. If there weren't I believe most of us would be a lot unhappier. Remember it's about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. But here's the complicated part. It's not these three things just for you, it's these three things for everyone.

Now just because you can get away with loud piping your motorcycle, and just because others are doing the same, it doesn't make what you are doing right. It doesn't make the law any less valid or the will of the people any less clear.

Riding a motorcycle is a personal choice and one you should make in full awareness of substantial additional risks. You can improve your odds by wearing a helmet and bright colored protective clothing, using a headlight modulator, mounting a loud horn, and riding sober and smart (make sure intersections are clear, dont' tailgate, don't pass left-turning vehicles on the right, keep out of driver's blind spots, drive at the right speed for the conditions, go into turns slow and go out fast, etc. etc. etc.). These measures together make a loud pipe not only illegal, but unnecessary.

P.S. I've got to admit this debate is more enjoyable than an Oil War or Seafoam thread. Wink

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #58 - 08/24/10 at 11:44:04

If you put enough Sea Foam in your gas there will be enough smoke coming out your tail pipe,Cars want come close they think your about ready to blow up. Grin

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #59 - 08/24/10 at 11:57:43

So I'm going down the road, completely stock bike just as I got it.
Still relatively inexperienced, traveling down the superslab, left of center in the lane, heavy traffic about 30 mph.  The guy next to me has ilegally tinted windows, ac on most likely.  I would be eye to eye with the idiot if I could see him.  Said idiot decides my lane is faster and procedes to cut over.  This is not some urban myth you just read.  But an actual account by a fellow savage.

A month or two later, I get a supertrapp and it hasn't happened since.

Burn has said he's been run off the road several times.  He has also gotten a louder pipe with the same results.

Now buck, you keep saying that a loud pipe is ilegal and unnecessary.
And Charon, you say only stock noise levels should be allowed.
I'm sure my ex would have appreciated all of the insurance money.

Since these event happen with regular occurance with a stock pipe, and are now rare with a moderately louder pipe, I'm sure you can appreciate my opinion that quiet pipes reduce the awareness of the surrounding cagers.  No brightly colored helmet or jacket will improve it, my helmet is yellow and red, my jacket is bright blue.  My bike is red.  And yet I can sit eye to eye with my neighbor and he won't see me.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:25:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Straight Pipe a Stock Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.