Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Straight Pipe a Stock Savage (Read 1784 times)
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Re: Straight Pipe a Stock Savage
Reply #15 - 08/19/10 at 09:17:31

Verslagen1, which exhaust do you have on your bike? It isn't so loud that it would scare a bunny would it? Wink

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #16 - 08/19/10 at 10:43:20

BCB is www.bluecollarbobbers.com  i am in the midst of installing their seat and rear fender, i was fortunate enough to get my savage with the supertrapp included  Grin.  the BCB pipe is pricy at $155 compared to the HD muffs you can get for $50 but cheaper then a $300 supertrapp.  it looks cool though since its already powercoated black and comes with heat wrap for the header pipe.  their stuff is top notch quality.

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 08/19/10 at 11:56:11

kimchris1 wrote on 08/19/10 at 09:17:31:
Verslagen1, which exhaust do you have on your bike? It isn't so loud that it would scare a bunny would it? Wink

I have a supertrapp.

A rich warm tone that has an acceptable volume when cruising thru residential area's and a jacob brake sound that'll cause them to drop their phone and move over.

I've never had a bunny cross the road in front of me, so they most likely know I'm coming.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruddy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spokane, WA
Reply #18 - 08/19/10 at 19:44:11

"Loud pipes lose rights. Rider training saves lives." That's it. Period. This so called "Loud pipes saves lives" garbage is nothing more than a flimsy excuse for immature, obnoxious behavior. There are NO statistics to back up that claim and plenty to show the damage the noise does to our image.  Angry I like a nice mellow sounding bike, but it doesn't have to so loud that it sets off car alarms.

Rick
'06 S40
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 08/19/10 at 19:57:25

Loud enough to be seen.

everyday I am not a stat is a victory for me.

Edited:
Quote:
I like a nice mellow sounding bike, but it doesn't have to so loud that it sets off car alarms.
I agree

« Last Edit: 08/19/10 at 21:54:46 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #20 - 08/19/10 at 22:26:09

verslagen1 wrote on 08/19/10 at 19:57:25:
Loud enough to be seen.

everyday I am not a stat is a victory for me.

agreed, id rather gamble on my image then my life.  and since when did riding become a popularity contest.  just cause i didnt sit at the cool table in high school doesnt mean im using riding to make up for that  Embarrassed.  I highly doubt that people will equate louder pipes with being a 1% er  Cool

aatif96   IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #21 - 08/19/10 at 22:31:27

not to mention that ive personally put more smiles on peoples faces when they hear the volume and depth of sound that comes out of the tiny girl.

aatif96   IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #22 - 08/19/10 at 23:20:04

My Hard Chrome is fairly loud....I wear ear plugs for the wind noise more than my exhaust noise.  I have been told by my co-workers that they can hear me coming and hear me leave but once I'm in the parking lot, all is quiet, cause I lay off the twist while parking my bike.  

It's a Savage, it supposed to be on the loud side.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #23 - 08/20/10 at 08:16:42

Ruddy wrote on 08/19/10 at 19:44:11:
"Loud pipes lose rights. Rider training saves lives." That's it. Period. This so called "Loud pipes saves lives" garbage is nothing more than a flimsy excuse for immature, obnoxious behavior. There are NO statistics to back up that claim and plenty to show the damage the noise does to our image.  Angry I like a nice mellow sounding bike, but it doesn't have to so loud that it sets off car alarms.

I agree that rider training saves lives, but what about the car drivers who don't get that training?  Anything to make them more aware of a motorcycle HAS to be better.  IF loud pipe statistics were included in accident reports, I would bet that quiet bikes get hit more for not being seen (er um, heard)  Its only logical.  As far as our image - I'm sorry that you equate loud pipes with a bad image.  And some may agree with you, but I'm not the least bit worried about those morons.

Overly excessive loud pipes are annoying to me, and I agree the car-alarm-setting-off loud is not necessary.  But the stock muffler on my bike was way too quiet for me!  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #24 - 08/20/10 at 08:54:28

verslagen1 wrote on 08/19/10 at 09:09:28:
Personally, a wake the dead pipe is unnecessary.  But a dead quiet pipe will leave you just that, dead.  I've found a happy medium where I don't require ear plugs to ride my own bike and where local cagers don't forget I'm there, even when they are texting.

Exactly.. the trick is to have a muffler just loud enough to perk up drivers waiting to pull out in front of you, you know, those gray areas where you are not sure if you should honk at them or not.  The Dyna muffler on the Savage is about the perfect balance.  Seems like it was stamped "80db" but seemed louder than a muffler I am running now, which is labeled "94db" (at what distance, angle, throttle position, RPM, etc?  Roll Eyes)  Regardless of the stampings or legality, the muffler still has to be evaluated carefully for individual riding habits, neighborhood, etc. as to maintain good safety and courtesy.  Then if the drivers still treat you as invisible with the moderate-volume pipe, an extra loud horn is also good  Cheesy

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 08/20/10 at 09:02:10

I built and installed Diamond Jim's long shot straight pipe, and to be honest it did actually set off car alarms. Then I added my rendition of his “free flow” baffle and it is now pleasingly loud without offending the neighbors.
Noise was not my intent however. I was trying to increase the overall efficiency of the engine without spending the money for a Supertrapp. Many of you have seen from my emissions post that my bike (with the changes that I have made) won't pass...not even close! This is after going back to the original jets and enrichment circuit spring. I also replaced the plug, packed my baffle with glass wool and did a valve job.
My bike is now in the hands of a Suzuki mechanic who said that he doesn't believe the changes that I have made would account for such a high level of CO emission.
He will find the culprit and I will let you know how it preforms after it passes emissions.

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #26 - 08/20/10 at 09:35:33

JohnBoy wrote on 08/20/10 at 09:02:10:
Many of you have seen from my emissions post that my bike (with the changes that I have made) won't pass...not even close!

thats when you start making friends with mechanics and slip him a $20  Cheesy

aatif96   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 08/20/10 at 15:12:52

Ruddy wrote on 08/19/10 at 19:44:11:

All i know is this....When I had my stock pipe I was run off the road several times by people paying no attention. Not just "close call" but actually off of the road. I had several run in with deer that couldve been bad as well. I put a Harley Screamin Eagle slashcut on and its loud. Loud enough that I know Im irritating my neighbors in the middle of night, so I try to be curteous and once Im in for the night, Im in for the night. I orginally switched just because it sounded awesome but as an even better bonus to sounding awesome since I switched I have not been run off the road or had any close calls with cagers at all, and I can watch the deer scatter a hundred yards before im anywhere near them. If Im too loud for you to continue you phone conversation while driving, by all means, back off, pass me, switch lanes, whatever you want so long as you are very aware that Im there and even better if your intent on getting away from me. I dont want to be near you when you arent concentrating on the road anyhow.

IP Logged
wingsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lockport NY
Reply #28 - 08/21/10 at 15:20:42

I'm not sure where I read this:

THINK---Skinny blonde in an Escalade-----texting!

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #29 - 08/21/10 at 16:37:26

I don't buy into the loud pipe rationalizations. It's easy to say to yourself that when you're moving the sound is irritating others for only a short time, but more and more people are saying that to themselves, and more and more motorcycles are making more and more noise.

There may be a back-lash coming. Even I am irritated at night trying to sleep in my bed by god-awful loud motorcycles laboring in the distance, and I've been a motorcyclist for 45 years. Google "loud pipes are for babies". Motorcycling is a privilege, not a right, but you do know that, don't you? What's that (old) song -- "don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone..." Take your straight pipe into NYC these days and you will get a big ticket.

So you have a need to be noticed, my friend? I've got a headlight modulator on my Bandit (two headlamps: low beam always on, high beam flashing 4 times per second during daylight hours). That get's me noticed. And absolutely silent. Legal in all 50 states. Federal DOT law supercedes all state/local laws. I've had to explain that to a police officer once. I've had almost no trouble with people pulling out in front of me or cutting me off. It's amusing when oncomers start flashing their lights, but that just verifies that I'm very noticeable while relatively quiet (stock exhaust).

My daughter's Savage with its stock exhaust does not have a headlight modulator. When I ride it I believe the problems are more frequent. I would put one on it, but we don't like the riding position and will trade it soon for a standard. I will put a modulator on the next bike. I believe headlight modulators are likely more effective and certainly more acceptable than loud pipes. They should be standard equipment, just as I believe daytime running lights work and should be standard on all 4-wheelers.

« Last Edit: 08/21/10 at 17:58:09 by BuckRYCA »  

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:21:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Straight Pipe a Stock Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.