Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Straight Pipe a Stock Savage (Read 1784 times)
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Straight Pipe a Stock Savage
08/18/10 at 12:58:05

I would like to have the loudest, most obnoxious savage there is. My 2001 Savage has 5.5k miles. Oil change at 500 and 1k miles with filter change is the ONLY maintenance I've done.

Question to anyone who knows what they're talking about: What other modifications, if any, should I do along with the straight pipe? Is a rejet of the carb in order? I really want to know if it's okay to put just a straight pipe with little or no ramifications. Thanks to all in advance.

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Straight Pipe a Stock Savage
Reply #1 - 08/18/10 at 13:16:00

Do a search on this site for Diamond Jim's "longshot pipe"He has lots of very good information and I can speak first hand for his design.
JohnBoy

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #2 - 08/18/10 at 13:16:31

Speaking from experience I think it is a poor decision. I have a heavily chopped savage with a cone filter and a cleaned head but few other perf mods. I tried the straight pipe for a while but it was way too loud and was making the bike run like crap. I put in a 145.5 main and stock pilot jet and put in a 3" baffle in my exhaust, the bike is running much better but sounds like a sewing machine going down the road at 85 mph. Still not a very appealing sound, and you will really look dumb when you get in a reving competition at a light with the Harley next to you. I plan on getting a more restrictive muffler welded in soon to solve the sound problem and then playing with the jets and carb adjustments until i find the sweet spot. Keep in mind everyone's bike is different (i.e. rider and bike weight, perf mods, age, oil used) and though we all have the same bike, what works on mine and for me may not on yours or for you.

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #3 - 08/18/10 at 15:08:02

Why would the savage sound like crap?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 08/18/10 at 16:12:08

Diamond Jims bike is the only one I have ever seen that ran well with a straight pipe, but then he is an engineer and spent months testing and retesting a dozen or more designs before he found an exhaust & intake setup that would actually work and sound good.
Ask MMranch and Oldfeller about how the bike performs on the curvy mountain roads of NC and on straight-a-ways in acceleration and top end speed.

His is a rather unique system.
Since I am currently in possession of the bike I may try to get some photos and spec's on his design and post it for the gang here.
That should at least help others go in that direction if they choose.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 08/18/10 at 19:39:50

few years ago lancer had some 3" hard krome slash cut muffs for cheap...
been runnin one on my 06 since..
had a fellow pgr rider say he couldnt ride behind me(80+ on the highway) cause i was TOO loud..
3 am will wake the dead wot
putt her and theres no prob..

its a spiral metal baff in there aweome sound for the ls but too loud for some
i was in the artillery so noise doesnt bother me....

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #6 - 08/18/10 at 22:08:01

i say if u want pure ear drum rupturing sound screw a pipe all together and just have a small elbow at the end of the header pipe pointing out.  you lose out on performance though, need a little back pressure for torque.  if you got the scratch laying around, get a supertrapp with a ton of discs.  like 16 discs.  you can tune it by adding more discs to make it louder but still has the backplate to give some back pressure too and sounds balls.  def need to rejet if your doing major exhaust mods like that.  if your opening her up like that id go all the way to the relative top and get a 155 main 55 pilot, shave half of the spacer off, and tune the hell out of it.  at least she wont be thirsty when you make her sing  Grin

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #7 - 08/18/10 at 22:11:20

i also heard BCB's strait pipe is supposed to sound pretty good too

aatif96   IP Logged
sitkasavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/18/10 at 22:37:48

I just put on the BCB pipe on my 2005.  The sound is awesome.  The performance is better.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 08/19/10 at 05:57:37

If you want to be loud and obnoxious, I can't change your mind. But have you noticed any signs reading something like "No Jake Brakes" or "No Engine Brakes" anywhere around? Those signs aren't there to prohibit the brakes - they are there because of the NOISE made by those brakes. Do you want the next set of signs to say "No Motorcycles?" Nonriders do NOT want to hear the noise. I know - "If they don't like it, screw 'em." Remember that next time you hear a booming car go by.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #10 - 08/19/10 at 06:22:18

Charon wrote on 08/19/10 at 05:57:37:
If you want to be loud and obnoxious, I can't change your mind. But have you noticed any signs reading something like "No Jake Brakes" or "No Engine Brakes" anywhere around? Those signs aren't there to prohibit the brakes - they are there because of the NOISE made by those brakes. Do you want the next set of signs to say "No Motorcycles?" Nonriders do NOT want to hear the noise. I know - "If they don't like it, screw 'em." Remember that next time you hear a booming car go by.

It's a nuisance to them for a few minutes or seconds, however long it takes you to pass. Straight pipe has saved me from cagers a bunch of times in traffic, one blip of the throttle and they are scared shtless.

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #11 - 08/19/10 at 06:31:56

Wouldn't it be more socially responsible to use the horn for a few seconds? That's why it is installed on the motorcycle. If the horn isn't loud enough, a louder horn is cheaper than a different exhaust pipe. Then the only time you make an obnoxious racket is when you need it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #12 - 08/19/10 at 07:13:34

whats the fun in being socially responsible.  the whole motorcycle culture is about expression and freedom.  loud pipes really arent that obnoxious unless your laying it on or doing burnouts.  they are loud for the few seconds you ride by then its gone.  whatever you have to do to make yourself more noticable the safer you are, plus the horn is only good for anticipating danger that you can see.  loud pipes will make you noticable to anyone in your bubble that you cant see

aatif96   IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #13 - 08/19/10 at 08:12:15

Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about. Hashbrown knows how it works. I was once on the highway passing a minivan and as I was accelerating and passing him, I went into his blind spot, at which time he decided to cut me off. Had he done so, I would not be writing this post. There is no time to lay on the horn in that situation, as the driver is 1 foot away from you, and by the time he notices the horn, you're on the ground. I just want people to be WELL aware that I'm there. An obnoxiously loud pipe is in order. Over the top noise.

Oh, and in NJ there are no signs for loud brakes or or motorcycles or whatever. Everyone drives a big fat harley with an exhaust that is extremely loud anyway.

Where can I get a BCB straight pipe???

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 08/19/10 at 09:09:28

When you modify your exhaust, you have to take in concideration your locale.  If everyone has loud pipes, then all the cagers expect to hear a m/c weather or not the windows are up, the a/c blasting and the radio blaring.

And if you get out of your locale, be aware you will get into areas where a blasting pipe is unlawful.  An adjustable baffle might be neccessary.

Personally, a wake the dead pipe is unnecessary.  But a dead quiet pipe will leave you just that, dead.  I've found a happy medium where I don't require ear plugs to ride my own bike and where local cagers don't forget I'm there, even when they are texting.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:07:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Straight Pipe a Stock Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.