Send Topic Print
Clicking under seat... (Read 107 times)
jamesmackelroy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clicking under seat...
08/17/10 at 12:06:48

So, I was looking through some of the old posts and trying to solve a couple-month old problem (been out of the country without time to deal with it). Lights and all come on, but when I try to start the bike it just has the rapid clicking under the seat. It's a new battery (I opted for the cheap one... blast!) and I've taken it in to get charged and it's still no good. Just the clicking. I'm hoping it's the battery since it's new, cheap, and probably the easiest thing to fix...

How do I tell for sure it's the battery aside from getting a new one? I'm not sure about hooking the thing up to my car battery to jump it--would I just hook the positive jumper cable right up to the connector? And the negative to either the frame or the engine? (Silly questions, but I have no idea--I got this hoping to find some of these mechanical things out, and I'm sure getting the opportunity now!)

Is there anything else it could be if I try jumping it and it still doesn't work?

Thanks all...

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Clicking under seat...
Reply #1 - 08/17/10 at 21:21:48

jamesmackelroy wrote on 08/17/10 at 12:06:48:
So, I was looking through some of the old posts and trying to solve a couple-month old problem (been out of the country without time to deal with it). Lights and all come on, but when I try to start the bike it just has the rapid clicking under the seat. It's a new battery (I opted for the cheap one... blast!) and I've taken it in to get charged and it's still no good. Just the clicking. I'm hoping it's the battery since it's new, cheap, and probably the easiest thing to fix...

How do I tell for sure it's the battery aside from getting a new one? I'm not sure about hooking the thing up to my car battery to jump it--would I just hook the positive jumper cable right up to the connector? And the negative to either the frame or the engine? (Silly questions, but I have no idea--I got this hoping to find some of these mechanical things out, and I'm sure getting the opportunity now!)

Is there anything else it could be if I try jumping it and it still doesn't work?

Thanks all...

Try a load test on the battery after charging it.

Your description of jumping the bike from a car sounds right.  I wouldn't have the car engine running when doing the jump.

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/17/10 at 22:46:50

try push starting it.
there's a trick to doing it, for the old and gimpy, yes i'm talking about myself.
set it up just like you normally start
cept put the kick stand up, put in 1st, others will say 2nd or 3rd
i say 1st cause when it kicks over it's going to sputter and die if you take the clutch back in.
so, clutch in, stand up, run on, 1st, and you're standing beside it.
now run like heck, don't forget the bike   Grin
jump on and push the starter button and immediately let out the clutch.
as soon as the clutch goes out, it'll lock out the starter so don't worry about letting go of the starter button.  it'll chug chug thump thump thump...

you might want to have it in prime to make sure the bowl is full.

and i've been thinking of taking the starter cable off, it's only one nut, and isolate it somehow.  but it might make it a little easier.

WWW   IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #3 - 08/18/10 at 01:31:07

If its clicking id start with checking the starter itself first(clicking generaly means the solenoid is going or gone...usualy).
If the battery itself is real low try hitting the horn with the lights on and see if they dim any.
Also pull the cables and clean and retighten them. If its sat they may not be makeing a good enough ground to pass enough current to kick it over properly.
Of course a good battery tender that checks and resulfates a battery is also a good idea. Their like 25 bucks for peace of mind.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #4 - 08/18/10 at 15:52:14

did you check to see if the batt. is charged? it'll click if there's not enough juice to start.

i'd try jump starting from your car - i've done so with no problems - ("+" on car batt to "+" on motorcycle batt and " - " on car to any bolt that looks grounded - it should spark when you clip it on)  

as far as push starting ... Verslagen must be a REAL man!   I've tried with no success!  

(I can start a farmall M with just the hand crank though)   Grin

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #5 - 08/18/10 at 16:45:31

and as always, with fun electrical, please clean the ground to make sure you getting your best shot at it. Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:23:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clicking under seat...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.