Reply #15 - 08/18/10 at 02:26:47

wHATS ALL THIS FIRST WRECK STUFF!?? MAKE IT YOUR LAST WRECK

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: First Wreck!!
Reply #16 - 08/18/10 at 05:18:50

Unfortunately, the only way to guarantee it will be the LAST motorcycle wreck is to never ride again. And even that isn't foolproof, because you cannot guarantee someone on a motorcycle won't hit you.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #17 - 08/18/10 at 05:52:07

Bufbills -

When you buy that jacket, get a very brightly colored one like yellow or red.  Don't get a black or gray one.

Same for your helemt if you need a new one - bright and colorful, not black.

We all need to be seen as well as see others.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #18 - 08/18/10 at 07:26:16

Glad you have the opportunity to learn from your mistakes. One lesson to be learned is that you need to know how to stop in a hurry without putting your MC and yourself on the ground. Once you learn the correct technique, practice, practice, practice till it becomes second nature. Then when you come up on brake lights because you have been gathering wool, looking at your speedo, distracted by that ..., whatever, your response will be to stop NOW without dumping yourself on the ground.

Hope you heal fast and get back on your MC.

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #19 - 08/18/10 at 07:26:52

wishing you a speedy recovery.
Glad you walked away "okay"

Safer riding and lessons learned

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #20 - 08/18/10 at 09:38:45

ATGATT...if it's too hot for the gear, it's too hot to ride.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 08/18/10 at 09:56:20

I guess you are lucky you didn't go through a wire fence, you might have strained yourself.

Phelonius Wink

Phelonius
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #22 - 08/18/10 at 15:44:18

Phelonius wrote on 08/18/10 at 09:56:20:
I guess you are lucky you didn't go through a wire fence, you might have strained yourself.

Phelonius Wink

Grin Grin Grin

i love good pun!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #23 - 08/18/10 at 21:13:44

+1  in agreement with Starlifter   Smiley

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #24 - 08/20/10 at 18:40:37

Sorry to heAr about your wreck hope you heal up soon and glad your not dead.  Yeah the tank mount speedo is the only part that makes the savag not the perfect beginner bike.  Otherwise low center of gravity light weight and low hp make it perfect.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
qp
YaBB Newbies

Salt Lake City
Reply #25 - 08/23/10 at 19:06:19

BuckRYCA wrote on 08/17/10 at 20:24:40:
My thinking was that a tank mounted speedo was a bad idea in terms of keeping my eyes on the road. So I put a wired bicycle computer on the handlebars. It helps keep my eyes up and forward. Also shows distance since last fill-up, max and avg speeds, and the like.

This has been my only substantial complaint about my s40 (and many other bikes,) the tank-mounted speedo is a very bad idea. Will you please go into your "bicycle computer" with a little more information. I would like to have something that does not require me to look down. thanks.

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #26 - 08/23/10 at 19:25:14

qp wrote on 08/23/10 at 19:06:19:
This has been my only substantial complaint about my s40 (and many other bikes,) the tank-mounted speedo is a very bad idea. Will you please go into your "bicycle computer" with a little more information. I would like to have something that does not require me to look down. thanks.

I use a Cateye Velo 5. Trip meter to remind me to get gas, mph, clock, etc. All on the bars. Easy to set up, easy to use.

Any "bicycle computer" will work, just make sure to get one that'll handle high speeds. Some of them will only do 30 or 40 mph.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #27 - 08/23/10 at 20:06:27

I use a Sigma model (BC906, $30) that has been discontinued, but their Web site http://www.sigmasport.com/en/produkte/bikecomputer/ shows several candidates. You want a wired model. Like DrunkenDwarf says above, make sure your choice can handle high speeds.

I mounted my display on the center of the handlebars. The sender is a small metal disc, strongly magnetic, that I mounted on front brake rotor (used a small drop of glue for back-up). I used zip ties to mount the small receiver on the left front fork tube.

I calibrated it by measuring the distance travelled by the front tire in two revolutions, divided by 2, and entered that into the computer (wheel size). It's dead accurate according to the roadside you-are-going-this-fast-according-to-police-radar displays. The stock speedo reads 3-5 mph higher than this bike computer.

There's no illumination, but I rarely ride at night, so it's not an issue for me. Anyways fiddling with it to make it light up would defeat the purpose of helping keep my eyes on the road. I suppose you could rig an LED to illuminate it off the stock speedo light if it were important.

It has a speedometer, odometer, total engine hours, trip hours, trip distance, time of day, trip avg speed, max speed (mine reads 77.88 mph). When my trip distance hits 100 it's time to look for gas.

Entire installation and calibration took about an hour. If you do a Search on All Posts on this forum you'll find photos of other installs. That's how I got started. Wink For example, http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1183653316

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 18:19:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First Wreck!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.