First Wreck!! (Read 486 times)
bufbills
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

First Wreck!!
08/17/10 at 08:48:16

Hey guys,

Last Monday, while riding to town, i looked down at my speedo because the traffic in front of me was only going about 45 in the 55 mph zone that we were in. By the time i looked up, all i saw was brake lights, and while trying to slow , i ended up locking up my brakes and lost it, rolling at least 30 ft. on pavement! Lots of road rash, a few cracked ribs, and a sprained wrist later, I feel truly lucky. I made a rookie mistake and was fortunate not to have paid too great a price. I was wearing short sleeves and short pants. OUCH!!!!! The bike is ok, and ill be riding again soon.(with sleeves and jeans!!!!)

Ride safe!!

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: First Wreck!!
Reply #1 - 08/17/10 at 09:00:00

Glad you're OK dude! I sincerely hope that the sleeves you intend to wear when you heal and climb back on are of the thick leather variety, or at least good motorcycle-grade textile with elbow & shoulder armor ...

Ride Safe ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
bufbills
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/17/10 at 09:06:00

oh yea! i plan on buying a nice summer mesh type jacket and ofcourse my leather when it cools off some.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/17/10 at 09:35:21

Got lucky, and learned a few good lessons...

That's a good first dump...  Glad you're okay... Wink...

Speedy healing to you... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #4 - 08/17/10 at 09:50:54

It can happen pretty quick. I've never been a fan of the spedo on the gas tank. I use a gps mounted on the handle bars.
Good to hear your are ok. Heal quick!!!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 08/17/10 at 09:59:42

Wow, I'm also glad to hear you are ok.  As bad as we hate it, it is useful for us to share these stories... we all learn from each other's mistakes.  

Heal quick!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #6 - 08/17/10 at 10:16:51

It is all a learning experience, but more importantly, it is how much of that experience we retain. I have had five mishaps over 40+ years of riding ... walked away from all because I saw them coming in time to get the speed down and, in all cases but one, leave the bike. From my road rash, I learned to wear mesh with armor. From the situation you describe (been there, done that), I learned to lay way off the cager ahead of me. Here's one that few people notice:
You are at a stop light. Cars (cagers) are lined up, bumper-to-bumper, waiting for the light to change. One car decides to enter traffic turning right on red (legal in a lot of states). The car behind him elects to follow out into traffic. You are on the bike behind the guy following the right turner. You pull ahead, but suddenly the follower decides he does not have enough space to get out into traffic and slams on brakes. At a stop light, everyone lines up close, never considering a safe interval. Therefore, you don't even have time to touch your brakes, and you eat some bumper. You aren't going fast, but the pavement is hard. Your pride is hurt, and your bike is scratched up (about those plastic turn signals). Lesson: At a stop light, whenever all the cars are ducks in a line, leave yourself some reaction space.

IP Logged
CeliaMarie

2009 Blvd s40!

Long Island, NY
Reply #7 - 08/17/10 at 10:49:25

J2 wrote on 08/17/10 at 10:16:51:
Lesson: At a stop light, whenever all the cars are ducks in a line, leave yourself some reaction space.

Thank you!

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #8 - 08/17/10 at 10:54:05

+1 on the GLAD YOU'RE OK message.

also +1 on the LEAVE ALL THE ROOM YOU CAN message.

I also use a GPS on the handle bars because it lets me see the speed only moving my eyes, not my whole head.

IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Reply #9 - 08/17/10 at 14:34:28

Ouch  Undecided
Glad u r ok  Cool

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 08/17/10 at 15:24:11

When your in traffic it doesn't matter how fast you are going go with the flow,Do the same in a car too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #11 - 08/17/10 at 16:02:51

Heal up and learn!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Reply #12 - 08/17/10 at 16:55:06

Glad to hear that you were able to walk away. Heal fast. "Bag Balm" in the square green can at WalMart is great stuff for cuts and road rash.

Roger Miller said it so well in his song, " You can't roller-skate in a Buffalo herd"

Ride Safe
                                                                          Marine5317

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #13 - 08/17/10 at 20:24:40

It's surely a good practice to leave a lot of space (4 seconds or so)  between you and the vehicle you're following. It makes you more visible to oncoming traffic . If quick stopping must be done it allows you to brake less dramatically which gives the distracted knucklehead following too closely behind you a chance to avoid running you down.

My thinking was that a tank mounted speedo was a bad idea in terms of keeping my eyes on the road. So I put a wired bicycle computer on the handlebars. It helps keep my eyes up and forward. Also shows distance since last fill-up, max and avg speeds, and the like.

Happier riding to you! Wink

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
bufbills
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/18/10 at 02:23:31

thanks for all of the kind words!!  (and good advice)  im definitely looking into an alternative speedo. Things happen very quickly out there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:24:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First Wreck!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.