Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Let's be careful out there (Read 125 times)
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Let's be careful out there
08/16/10 at 18:25:58

I rode past a bad bike accident this evening. A Suzuki crotch rocket was underneath a small suv. EMT was attending the rider who was on a streacher. It looked like the suv t-boned the bike as both were going thru the intersection. No matter who is a fault, the end result is the same: Biker goes to hospital; 4 wheel vehicle driver walks away.
Seeing this was a strong reminder how much at risk we are. I'll post more details as they become available. Hopefully the riders injuries will heal completely.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Let's be careful out there
Reply #1 - 08/16/10 at 20:23:51

Broadsides scare me.  So far I have seen them, and have allowed them to have their right to drive thru a stop/redlight.  But like the bullet you never see, car running past a stop/redlight is the one you will the one you miss.

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #2 - 08/17/10 at 00:33:20

I hope the guy makes it ok, godam cages ,allthough I can only drive a car nowdays you can bet your live I am a motorcyclist first and formost,ride safe guys,and gals.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #3 - 08/17/10 at 01:19:44

There's one intersection in particular, down by the Portland Expo Center, in the afternoon rush hour, you can pretty much count on several cars running each and every light.  I used to work down that way, and I've seen everything from small cars to semi trucks run that one.  Even after we get the green light, 2 or 3 cars will keep coming through the red.  I would ALWAYS keep an eye out at that one, and if any of you Portlanders go through there, you watch out too, I'd hate to hear of anyone getting taken out at that intersection.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 08/17/10 at 02:30:11

mick wrote on 08/17/10 at 00:33:20:
I hope the guy makes it ok, godam cages ,allthough I can only drive a car nowdays you can bet your live I am a motorcyclist first and formost,ride safe guys,and gals.

Mick, I understand the anger at the situation because we are all in the same place with this issue, but please do not use Gods name that way

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 08/17/10 at 06:56:01

I am a little surprised to see Mick use the term, since he claims he doesn't believe there even is a God. Seems odd to invoke the name of a being in whom you do not believe.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #6 - 08/17/10 at 10:03:03

I guess no news is good news. There was no mention of the accident in the local news, so I assume the injuries are not critical.
I can't say the same for the bike though. The SUV rolled over the middle of the bike  with its left front wheel. The bike ended up 1/2 way down the SUV with 1/2 of the bike sticking out. Spare parts would be all the bike is good for now.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 08/17/10 at 12:48:40

when you ride you ARE INVISIBLE...
and yes mick uses God for his own resolves....

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 08/17/10 at 14:01:47

God is like the rest of the guys in the bible always looking for a Virgin.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #9 - 08/17/10 at 16:59:36

I just caught the evening news. The bike got hit while doing a left turn thru the intersection. It was the SUV's fault. The biker is in serious condition in the hospital. I hope the SUV driver feels awful and get the serious charges against him that he deserves.

'09 C50SE, '09 C90
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 08/17/10 at 18:38:38

80% of the times in a car-motorcycle collision it is legally driver's fault, generally a yield to right-of-way.

100% of the time the motorcyclist has far greater injuries.

If you want to survive, you have to dodge.  When the car somes through, you have to be elsewhere.  It is good to aim at the rear of the car, as because he will be gone by the time you passes him.  I prefer you to avoid than my needing to revenge.

WWW   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #11 - 08/17/10 at 19:52:58

I send well wishes to this person. Yes I agree with Big P. Like in my case. Driver of cage blew past stop sign. Nailed me from behind. I was lucky she didn't get my legs.
I am going to ride again. When exactly? I hope real soon.. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 07:28:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › Let's be careful out there

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.