Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Free downloadable service manual? (Read 248 times)
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Free downloadable service manual?
08/15/10 at 11:21:40

I hate to be a cheap bastard, but hey ... there's a lot of stuff out there for free if you know where to look. I have a scooter as well as my S40, and it did not take me long to find a service manual for that scooter online. Has anyone found a service manual for the S40 (I have recently purchased a 2006.)? This bike has been around long enough. Surely, there is a manual online somewhere.

Thanks.

BTW: I need a manual to find out where the flasher is for the turn signals. I want to install a 12V beeper. From what I have been told, all I have to do is solder a Radio Shack piezo to the hot wire coming off the turn signal flasher, with the ground going to the frame.

IP Logged
Clint
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Free downloadable service manual?
Reply #1 - 08/15/10 at 11:38:33

On my 87 savage the flasher is on the right side under the tank.  Hope this helps.

Clint

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 08/15/10 at 13:06:31

Remember that when you download those "free" service manuals, you are literally stealing money from the authors. If you like getting paid when you work, consider that authors like being paid for their work, too.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 08/15/10 at 13:24:04

jc whitney has a beeping flasher plugs right in
ssm $60

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 08/15/10 at 15:38:06

I have a pdf copy of the clymer, uploaded here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QWY4MWEQ

it is for '86 to '04, but almost everything should be the same regardless.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #5 - 08/16/10 at 09:19:24

I have found a manual for a 1986-2004 also, but I have a 2005 s40.  I have tried to find the differences but cannot see any real noticble ones.  Does anyone have a list of things that changed from when they changed the name, or was that just it, that they changed the name in '05?

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 08/16/10 at 09:56:21

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the major changes were cosmetic.  1-piece seat (which changed some mounting on the rear fender), side rails changed/sissy bar deleted, drag style handlebars on risers, of course the badging, and I think the indicator lights (turn arrows, neutral indicator, etc).  But mechanically, I don't think we've come up with much that changed.  Oh, and the turn signals went to bullet style instead of the lollipops.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 08/16/10 at 10:05:25

Somewhere along in there they added the Flash to Pass button that flashes the high beams, and the four-way flashers. I think that is about when they arranged the start circuit to turn off the headlight when the starter runs, too.

I still think you ought to actually buy the manual, instead of steal it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #8 - 08/16/10 at 13:54:26

Thanks very much for the helpful replies ... and even the tsk tsk for "stealing" a manual. You would have no way of knowing, but I am a writer by profession ... a tech writer, actually. So, I write manuals. In the publishing world there is a thing called "public domain." An author/writer makes money when the work is published. After it has been "out there" for a long time, it is consider "in the public domain." We don't expect to make royalties forever. In fact, we writers get paid initially. It is the publishing company that makes the bucks after the initial outlay. I am not real worried that the publishing companies are going to lose money. I am sure they made plenty over the first few years of publication, and how long has the Savage manual been out there with almost no change? Over 20 years. But I do appreciate your sensitivities in looking out for us poor old writers, who will always be poor.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 08/16/10 at 16:40:34

Actually, though I did not know you are a writer, I do know what "public domain" is. A document or work of art enters the public domain whenever its copyright expires, or its owner releases it to the public domain. US copyright now extends for over fifty years, courtesy of a major effort by Disney to protect its copyrights to Mickey Mouse, among many others. Unless the service manual to which you refer has been officially released by its owners, it almost certainly is NOT in the public domain. Copyright laws vary by country.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #10 - 08/16/10 at 22:59:40

J2 wrote on 08/16/10 at 13:54:26:
Thanks very much for the helpful replies ... and even the tsk tsk for "stealing" a manual. You would have no way of knowing, but I am a writer by profession ... a tech writer, actually. So, I write manuals. In the publishing world there is a thing called "public domain." An author/writer makes money when the work is published. After it has been "out there" for a long time, it is consider "in the public domain." We don't expect to make royalties forever. In fact, we writers get paid initially. It is the publishing company that makes the bucks after the initial outlay. I am not real worried that the publishing companies are going to lose money. I am sure they made plenty over the first few years of publication, and how long has the Savage manual been out there with almost no change? Over 20 years. But I do appreciate your sensitivities in looking out for us poor old writers, who will always be poor.

Yup I don't mind stealing from big corporations they horde to much of their money and cheat their workers anyways so the fat shareholders can get paid for doing absolutely nothing. Wouldn't think twice about walking out of walmart with some merchandise, but would never steal from a mom and pop shop.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #11 - 08/17/10 at 08:58:14

That's a fairly accurate description of the copyright law, and it is probably true that the Internet site that publishes some work still under copyright has technically violated that law. The Internet, however, has changed things. I doubt that any publishing house, outside of Disney, which has tried to prosecute a church, the Boy Scouts, and Boys and Girls club under this law (for using things like mouse ears to entertain children), is going to bother going after an Internet site for publishing a decades-old manual. Having spent over 30 years covering court cases as a journalist, I suspect that a busy judge (at least the ones I know) would calendar that case for sometime in 2025. That's the technical reality. As to the moral compass, I am not a bit concerned about using readily available material that a publisher has been making money on for decades. Of course, everyone has a right to make his/her own moral judgements, and I do respect yours. If a new bike were being introduced, and a team of writers and a publishing house invested their time and money to produce a sorely needed manual on that new product, I would pay them for that effort.

IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Reply #12 - 08/23/10 at 12:46:43

Its up to ppl self what to do, Ive got both the german and the english in the original print, but I have printed and laminated the german version, only 100 pages where the clymer is close to 400 pages.
What im trying to say is, if ppl have the org and wants a copy to laminate for the work shop its easyer to download and print than scan and print Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:21:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Free downloadable service manual?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.