Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Overheating
Reply #60 - 08/28/10 at 06:39:48

In case Verslagen's evil boogie man "the float valve sticks" actually happens to you, you simply have to look at the oil level to decide if any gas got into your oil.  

If the oil level goes up -- for heaven's sake please change your oil.   Then replace your float valve so it doesn't happen again should you forget to turn your petcock off again.

Actually, the float valve sticking is pretty rare.   Gas actually making it into your oil is even rarer than that.

But yes, it can happen -- if it does check your oil level immediately to see if you had any "adder" to your oil load.

=====================

Now, here is my statement and you guys all pile in on whether it is factual or not ....

We have had an order of magnitude more people have stock vacuum actuated petcocks go south and drive the people nuts with similar <low flow> problems to what kk lewi had than we have ever had crankcases of oil get temporarily contaminated with gasoline due to a Raptor being left on.

I think this statement is true --- who remembers otherwise?

===========================

Next controversial statement for you to agree or disagree with .....

If you can't decide if your oil level went up or not -- then the amount of gas that could have possibly made it into your oil is minor and will exit as gasoline vapor as soon as your oil gets operational hot for a while.  

This gasoline vapor will go through your breather tube and into your air box and get burned in the combustion process -- this backup system is built into the bike to handle combustion bypass gasses and will quickly purge some minor amount of gas in your oil.

Any detectably large amount of gas causing your oil level to go up noticeably warrants an immediate oil change -- don't risk your engine for a few dollars in oil change costs.

But please DO fix your float valve if you think it leaks -- fix it and don't have to deal with the issue again !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #61 - 08/28/10 at 08:34:41

twice i have gotten gas in my oil leaving my petcock on once with stock, so i replaced with raptor then it happened with the raptor so i got new float needle. i havent left in on in a while. each time it happened i didnt check my oil level i just went ahead and changed it. good thing too. it smelled more like gas than oil and came out of the crankcase like it was water.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #62 - 08/28/10 at 09:49:01

That's one  (valve needle replaced after Raptor episode)

it is also one stock petcock failed to shut off and did same thing as leaving on the Raptor -- the key element here in both cases is a bad fuel float valve needle that needed replacing and apparently it caused the same oil in gas failure with a stock petcock too ?????

« Last Edit: 08/29/10 at 03:21:34 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #63 - 08/28/10 at 10:24:16

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/28/10 at 09:49:01:

That's one  (needle replaced after Raptor episode)

it is also one stock petcock failed to shut off and did same thing as leaving on the Raptor -- the key element here in both cases is a bad fuel float valve that needed replacing and apparently it caused the same oil in gas failure with a stock petcock too ?????

yep

IP Logged
oldfield429
YaBB Newbies

fairweather fairy
type

leeds, england, uk, europe....
Reply #64 - 08/28/10 at 18:30:47

Those float valves are so much fun ain't they? Grrr jus had issues with mine, only needed a clean up though and she's fine Smiley

Dog leave it, leave it, no, leave it! Too late....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:15:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Overheating - Fixed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.