STOP HIJACKING MY THREAD!!  (hehe)

I can hijack my own however....<3 piglet

IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Re: Overheating
Reply #31 - 08/15/10 at 15:42:38

Suki Love is full up with Rotella syn.  Let ya know on the results.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #32 - 08/15/10 at 15:45:12

kk lewi wrote on 08/15/10 at 15:40:54:
STOP HIJACKING MY THREAD!!  (hehe)

I can hijack my own however....<3 piglet

Me so sowee... Embarrassed

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 08/15/10 at 15:51:58

babyhog wrote on 08/15/10 at 15:36:44:
Vers, I have one of those stick thermometers, and hubby has a point-and-shoot digital thing (HVAC man, hi-tech toys).  Would it be accurate enough to check the temp as soon as I pull in the garage after a 1/2 hour ride or so??  Leave it running, or shut it off to check it?  I'm curious about the temp.  What range should it be?

After a 1/2 hour ride at V1 speed  Grin , 85°F air, 178°F oil cover, and 222°F head average temp's with a HF IR temp gage.  With RotSyn oil.

WWW   IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #34 - 08/15/10 at 20:53:05

kk lewi wrote on 08/15/10 at 14:32:23:
verslagen1 wrote on 08/15/10 at 14:20:31:
cruising at 40/50 should be just fine.  weather you did or not, stopping for a sign shouldn't be an issue either.

backfire on shutdown tells me, your idle mixture is a bit lean, is it a poof, pow or hit the dirt KERPOW?

btw, running hot tells me your main could be lean too.

while riding, are your legs feeling real uncomfortable on the pegs?

if you got and thermometer, the kind with a probe like for sticking in meat, or go to harbor freight and get a IR thermo  read the temp off the oil cover and head, just bellow the plug for the cam.  then I can give you a relative reading off mine.

I think I am at 1 3/4 turns out.  I did 1/4 turns when I first got her (bought with 5 turns out!  Shocked) from zero.  At about 2.5 turns out I get a black sparkplug.  The backfire is no poof, it's more like pow but not hit the dirt.

It doesn't seem overly hot, or hasn't, until this last month (since I cooked her the first time).  Now I can noticeably tell she's hot when she shuts down.  My poor baby.  Sad

I have no idea about the jets and such.  It does have a custom muff so the previous owner could have tweaked them.  She's my only mode of transportation atm so I'm worried about taking the carb apart.

I've been messing with my jets a lot lately and I do a main or pilot change in about 3-5 minutes. With the carb on the bike all you have to do is remove the four screws on the bottom and drop the bowl. The bowl will come off and so will the bowl gasket. Then just unsrew the jet and put the next size in. Replace the bowl with the gasket on it, tighten the four screws, turn it on, re-tune the air screw and ride.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 08/15/10 at 21:30:26

spacepirates wrote on 08/15/10 at 15:28:25:
My savage is my only means of transportation too, so I understand your hesitation for opening her up. I had another member from the forum come help me open my carb up for the first time (and he has been incredibly helpful ever since, so thank you, BurnPGH).

It sounds scary the first time you do it, but there is nothing to it. it takes a while the first time (three hours maybe?), but after a while you can do it in your sleep (and in like 20 minutes).

I'm saying all this, because your bike should not die when riding due to overheating, and that I'd say it would be good to get the experience of the carb and to see what jets are in there and to make sure it is clean and what have you.

I don't remember the service intervals for valves, but it might be worth checking them too, just to make sure. that takes about 45 minutes to check them, another 30 if you have to adjust. Pick a weekend and get started early!

That reminds me...you ever get your buggered up mix screw switched out with mine or did you just swap carbs and make it easy on yourself? In any case, dont forget...you owe me a stock carb with/without buggered up screw. Angry Cool

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 08/16/10 at 01:32:51

Go back to the main issue, when it dies on you.

If it will crank over freely but not start you don't have an oil failure -- oil failure would be it wouldn't move or would crank over only very slowly.

This takes place after riding some .... at medium high speed?

========================   hummm ??

Jest for the shits and giggles, try going around on PRIME for a day or two to see if the issue stops.

(smells a bit like my petcock issues from a while back, it does)

Petcock issues can behave illogically and yes there is always gas showing in the clear fuel filter when the petcock is showing off its butt with poor fuel flow.

-- the gasoline jest isn't progressing along down the little black tube very well like it ought to.  

The bowl in the carb is near empty (but it don't show) and it takes a while to fill back up and that give you all sorts of false leads to chase because it is all so illogical and strange ...

Running on PRIME will do away with a lot of this and give you confidence that your engine ain't shot or hurt, etc. because your power will suddenly come back and your bike will run right again.

Low vac petcock issues (chronic low gas level in the bowl due to poor fuel flow) can seem a good bit like a dying bike ....

It also mocks all the symptoms of "lean running" which is what you are describing above.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #37 - 08/20/10 at 18:23:30

kk, was finally able to get back out on her today.  I'm still confused, but leaning towards petcock...  

I rode about 6 miles and she shut down.  This was in Prime.  When I started the ride my fuel filter was about 1/4 full.  I watched the filter slowly drain the whole ride until it stopped.  Figured I'd follow it out until the end.   Cheesy

I tried restarting in prime and iirc I got it started (she shut down several times on the way back home), but stopped again shortly.  I bent down and watched the fuel filter as I cranked in prime and saw no fuel flowing to the filter.

I switched to reserve and saw fuel flowing to the filter.  Switched to run and saw fuel running to the filter.  I got it started after a few minutes of trying (assume I had to fill the carb), and off I went!  Until it stopped again.   Angry  Fuel filter empty...

Kept her in reserve and saw fuel once again flowing to the filter.  I booked it home!  Wish I could have retrieved the Raptor* petcock I bought recently.  Stupid Post Office was closed.  Interestingly enough, I bought the new petcock before all this started happening!  Maybe the one I have on now got mad at me?   Grin

I did give the cycle a few minutes before restarting each time.  I don't know why but at the time I thought it was heat related.  Could still be /shrug

*I bought the Raptor 660.  Was this the right one??  I saw several different numbers and just picked the one I thought best...or maybe it was the cheapest.  

IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #38 - 08/20/10 at 18:27:05

btw Oldfeller could you pls explain to me how a full fuel filter could be petcock related?  Logically that doesn't make sense to me (tho that appears just to be the case)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #39 - 08/20/10 at 18:29:05

pull the lever towards you for prime.
straight down for on
forward for reserve.

other possibility is a clogged filter.

and w/o it running, I never saw my filter fill.

WWW   IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #40 - 08/20/10 at 18:33:17

exactly my friend.  That is the way I moved the valve.  Smiley

IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #41 - 08/20/10 at 18:38:34

verslagen1 wrote on 08/20/10 at 18:29:05:
and w/o it running, I never saw my filter fill.

I only saw it filling when starting.  Just a few dribbles as it cranked.  Twisting the throttle when not cranking did nothing in any valve position.

IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #42 - 08/20/10 at 19:05:22

This tube is quite pinched.  What is it?  I see it in the manual and it looks similar but couldn't find what it is.  Maybe it's too pinched?

It comes from under the tank and goes somewhere behind.  I'll have to take the tank off for the new petcock anyway...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #43 - 08/20/10 at 19:08:45

that's the breather tube, should be on the other side of the throttle cable.

just pull the back part forward wiggling up and down.  there might be a clamp too.  pull it out and re-route.

WWW   IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #44 - 08/20/10 at 19:20:32

verslagen1 wrote on 08/20/10 at 19:08:45:
that's the breather tube, should be on the other side of the throttle cable.

just pull the back part forward wiggling up and down.  there might be a clamp too.  pull it out and re-route.

hmmm, this could be the problem then! (in prime anyway?)  Little air is getting in and thus can't push fuel down?  Could also prevent a good flow in either on or reserve?  amiright??   Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:18:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Overheating - Fixed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.