YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Overheating
Reply #15 - 08/15/10 at 14:10:41

charon is that pronouced like karhone or sharon?

ol' bill ain't able to prove anything above the effectiveness of a product.  By his own admission, he does not take apart anything.  So how can he prove it works?  only the fact that the symptom went away.

I will tell you though, I've had a sticky slide on the carb and added a little seafoam and it's gone away for at least 6 months.  The carb was disassembled prior to that, so maybe had a fingerprint to deal with.

I've also used it to clean residue from a dissolved gasket maker from the inside of an engine.  This was used straight and applied with a brush.  Then 2 oil changes with rotella dino.

Now what was said about trolls?...  Oh yeah, don't respond to them.

WWW   IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #16 - 08/15/10 at 14:10:47

spacepirates wrote on 08/15/10 at 11:25:54:
Can you tell us what exactly you are doing when your bike over heats?

I'd be surprised if it happened while you're cruising at 40mph, but if it is at long stop lights that is a bit different.

how is your idle speed? could be that it needs to be set a tad higher if your bike stalls out when you are stopping.

I was cruising about 40 to 50mph up and down the main road where I live.  No lights, no stops.  I was suspect about things so I just went one way then the other hovering about 3 miles from my house.

My idle speed is high, maybe to high, but from OF posts it should be high and I'm not sure how much.  I dialed her in to give me the least amount of backfire.  Backfire on shutdown be darned.

IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #17 - 08/15/10 at 14:14:40

bill67 wrote on 08/15/10 at 11:10:26:
Sea Foam will clean out the motor,Then go to a Group 5 oil like Hi performance Klotz or Red Line,They are made to with stand higher heat than normal motorcycle oil.

thx Bill it was actually you that suggested that I change my oil last time she overheated.  I have run sea foam for kicks and giggles.  My motor has 3k miles tho so I'm good on cleaning things out.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 08/15/10 at 14:20:31

cruising at 40/50 should be just fine.  weather you did or not, stopping for a sign shouldn't be an issue either.

backfire on shutdown tells me, your idle mixture is a bit lean, is it a poof, pow or hit the dirt KERPOW?

btw, running hot tells me your main could be lean too.

while riding, are your legs feeling real uncomfortable on the pegs?

if you got and thermometer, the kind with a probe like for sticking in meat, or go to harbor freight and get a IR thermo  read the temp off the oil cover and head, just bellow the plug for the cam.  then I can give you a relative reading off mine.

WWW   IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #19 - 08/15/10 at 14:21:36

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/15/10 at 11:01:48:
Yup, you may need to clean out some of the overheating by products that are coating the inside of your motor.

Go buy you a big blue gallon jug of Rotella T-6 full synthetic 5w-40 oil and change it twice (use the full jug) and see if that helps with your issues.

It's a very heavy duty full motorcycle rated synthetic that carries an excellent engine cleaning additive package.   It is also known to help smooth out your transmission a little bit, so that may be helpful to you as well.

Please, do let us all know if it helps you with your "cooked motor" issues, it will be good information for the list to know.

Thanks,

Oldfeller

Glad to see your post OF.  I probably respect your opinion the most.  I am going to change my oil right now (altho it shouldn't need it!).  I have the Rotella already.  Wink

IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #20 - 08/15/10 at 14:32:23

verslagen1 wrote on 08/15/10 at 14:20:31:
cruising at 40/50 should be just fine.  weather you did or not, stopping for a sign shouldn't be an issue either.

backfire on shutdown tells me, your idle mixture is a bit lean, is it a poof, pow or hit the dirt KERPOW?

btw, running hot tells me your main could be lean too.

while riding, are your legs feeling real uncomfortable on the pegs?

if you got and thermometer, the kind with a probe like for sticking in meat, or go to harbor freight and get a IR thermo  read the temp off the oil cover and head, just bellow the plug for the cam.  then I can give you a relative reading off mine.

I think I am at 1 3/4 turns out.  I did 1/4 turns when I first got her (bought with 5 turns out!  Shocked) from zero.  At about 2.5 turns out I get a black sparkplug.  The backfire is no poof, it's more like pow but not hit the dirt.

It doesn't seem overly hot, or hasn't, until this last month (since I cooked her the first time).  Now I can noticeably tell she's hot when she shuts down.  My poor baby.  Sad

I have no idea about the jets and such.  It does have a custom muff so the previous owner could have tweaked them.  She's my only mode of transportation atm so I'm worried about taking the carb apart.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 08/15/10 at 14:34:36

I confess,   I am cheating for you by getting you to switch to the synthetic oil.

You are "cheating a bit" in case you really DO have a real long term overheating issue that is accumulating damage to your engine.   We want to stop the progression now while it is still rideable.

The Rotella syn will still be there doing its job without turning solid way past 350 degrees and you will not lose your engine due to lack of lubrication (unless you have a completely blocked off oil passage somewhere).   It won't be bothered by the heat at all while you search out your overheating problem, its that kind of oil.  

And it really has some super cleaning properties which will really help clean out any films or coatings or sludges that have accumulated in your oil passages due to the overheating so far (so kinda expect it to get dirty kinda quick -- that means its doing its job so let it work for a month or so before changing it again).

I wish somebody had told me about synthetics before I cooked a Ford Taurus engine to death going up the 20 mile incline to Pidegon Forge back in the early 90's -- could have saved me a car, it could have.  

I started using synthetics after scrapping that car -- I am still driving the next car that I bought, a 1990 Acura Legend (have always used synthetics in it and it has over 235,000 miles and is doing great)  

20 years of driving it with no lubrication issues at all -- gotta love them synthetics.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #22 - 08/15/10 at 14:38:45

When I'm riding one of my air-cooled motorcycles in hot weather and I come to a stop that I think will be more than 20-30 seconds, I turn it off. Some of those stoplights run on a long cycle.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 08/15/10 at 14:39:26

kk lewi wrote on 08/15/10 at 14:32:23:
 The backfire is no poof, it's more like pow but not hit the dirt.

It doesn't seem overly hot, or hasn't, until this last month (since I cooked her the first time).  Now I can noticeably tell she's hot when she shuts down.  My poor baby.  Sad

I'd give it maybe an 1/8 turn richer, it'll drop it from a pow to a poof.

I'm worried about a blocked passage to the head or your oil pump it fried or blocked.

the blocked oil pump has been reported one time, due to the plastic on the cam chain tensioner guide from peeling off.

2 things I would check, if you didn't want to take it apart, Compression and Oil pressure.  I don't know if your buddy can help on these, they're pretty standard tests.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #24 - 08/15/10 at 14:54:34

Versy, I think Charon is pronounced with a hard C, or a K. I have liked boats for as long as I can remember, and Charon was the ferryman who transported the dead over the River Styx into Hades. The letters also appear in order in my real name, with the C being the first letter of my first name and the N being the first letter of my last name. On websites which ask for names, such as Fuelly, I often use the International Phonetic alphabet giving Charlie November. Come to think of it, that's probably where Bill67 dredged it up. Thanks for asking.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 08/15/10 at 15:10:34

KK what weight oil are you using.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 08/15/10 at 15:18:53

Charon wrote on 08/15/10 at 14:54:34:
Versy, I think Charon is pronounced with a hard C, or a K. I have liked boats for as long as I can remember, and Charon was the ferryman who transported the dead over the River Styx into Hades.

Great, you've given your name a character I can visualize.
over the years I've confused the ferryman's name with carrion, it's no wonder why.

WWW   IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #27 - 08/15/10 at 15:21:56

bill67 wrote on 08/15/10 at 15:10:34:
KK what weight oil are you using.

it was 15w-40.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #28 - 08/15/10 at 15:28:25

My savage is my only means of transportation too, so I understand your hesitation for opening her up. I had another member from the forum come help me open my carb up for the first time (and he has been incredibly helpful ever since, so thank you, BurnPGH).

It sounds scary the first time you do it, but there is nothing to it. it takes a while the first time (three hours maybe?), but after a while you can do it in your sleep (and in like 20 minutes).

I'm saying all this, because your bike should not die when riding due to overheating, and that I'd say it would be good to get the experience of the carb and to see what jets are in there and to make sure it is clean and what have you.

I don't remember the service intervals for valves, but it might be worth checking them too, just to make sure. that takes about 45 minutes to check them, another 30 if you have to adjust. Pick a weekend and get started early!

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #29 - 08/15/10 at 15:36:44

Charon, thanks for the explanation of your username, I've often wondered...

Vers, I have one of those stick thermometers, and hubby has a point-and-shoot digital thing (HVAC man, hi-tech toys).  Would it be accurate enough to check the temp as soon as I pull in the garage after a 1/2 hour ride or so??  Leave it running, or shut it off to check it?  I'm curious about the temp.  What range should it be?

I'm considering going to synthetic oil with my next change, which is due.  Would like to test the temp now, before I get it changed, then check it later for reference.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:20:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Overheating - Fixed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.