Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Overheating - Fixed (Read 1009 times)
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Overheating - Fixed
08/15/10 at 09:49:49

Hi, got a prob I hope you guys can help me with.  My bike keeps overheating.

Well first some back story.  About a month ago I cranked my bike to juice the battery.  I then let it sit idling.  Being the idiot that I am I didn't think about her being air cooled and sitting still wasn't good.  Came back to her about 15 minutes later and she wasn't running and wouldn't start.  I talked to you guys and was told that I had prob overheated her.  Sure enough, I later cranked it no problems.  The next day I got about 3 miles from home and she shut down on me.  Overheated again.  Talked to you guys again and decided to change the oil.  That seemed to fix things.

That brings us to today where she overheated again!  It's not a petcock issue.  I can see gas in my fuel filter.  I'm using regular diesel oil.  Nothing fancy just some stuff from wal-mart.  15w-40 motorcraft.  It seemed to work fine until the initial overheat.  It's been less than a thousand miles since I replaced the overheated oil.  Something is fishy.  It's not even that hot out.  About 90.

Could this be indicative of a bigger problem?  I have some Rotella syn that I was going to give her after this next oil change but dang I didn't want to change it already!

Thx friends.   Smiley

==============================

RESOLVED  Replaced petcock with a Raptor.  WIN!

« Last Edit: 09/18/10 at 18:33:27 by kk lewi »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Overheating
Reply #1 - 08/15/10 at 10:03:48

to get relative on ya...

about 90, doing freeway speeds (to coin a term, v1 speed  Grin ) and coming to an abrupt halt at a long signal will over heat the engine or at least cause your legs not to like being on the pegs.  But if you can keep rolling, even at residential speed it was fine.  so rather than hanging out at that light burning the hair off my legs, I turned into a residential area to keep the air flowing.

So, what are you doing?

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/15/10 at 10:11:44

kk lewi wrote on 08/15/10 at 09:49:49:
Hi, got a prob I hope you guys can help me with.  My bike keeps overheating.

Well first some back story.  About a month ago I cranked my bike to juice the battery.  I then let it sit idling.  Being the idiot that I am I didn't think about her being air cooled and sitting still wasn't good.  Came back to her about 15 minutes later and she wasn't running and wouldn't start.  I talked to you guys and was told that I had prob overheated her.  Sure enough, I later cranked it no problems.  The next day I got about 3 miles from home and she shut down on me.  Overheated again.  Talked to you guys again and decided to change the oil.  That seemed to fix things.

That brings us to today where she overheated again!  It's not a petcock issue.  I can see gas in my fuel filter.  I'm using regular diesel oil.  Nothing fancy just some stuff from wal-mart.  15w-40 motorcraft.  It seemed to work fine until the initial overheat.  It's been less than a thousand miles since I replaced the overheated oil.  Something is fishy.  It's not even that hot out.  About 90.

Could this be indicative of a bigger problem?  I have some Rotella syn that I was going to give her after this next oil change but dang I didn't want to change it already!

Thx friends.   Smiley

You should be using a high performance motorcycle oil in stead of diesel oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/15/10 at 11:01:48

Yup, you may need to clean out some of the overheating by products that are coating the inside of your motor.

Go buy you a big blue gallon jug of Rotella T-6 full synthetic 5w-40 oil and change it twice (use the full jug) and see if that helps with your issues.

It's a very heavy duty full motorcycle rated synthetic that carries an excellent engine cleaning additive package.   It is also known to help smooth out your transmission a little bit, so that may be helpful to you as well.

Please, do let us all know if it helps you with your "cooked motor" issues, it will be good information for the list to know.

Thanks,

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 08/15/10 at 11:10:26

Sea Foam will clean out the motor,Then go to a Group 5 oil like Hi performance Klotz or Red Line,They are made to with stand higher heat than normal motorcycle oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 08/15/10 at 11:17:25

This oil war is nuts. It's now in almost every thread.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #6 - 08/15/10 at 11:25:54

Can you tell us what exactly you are doing when your bike over heats?

I'd be surprised if it happened while you're cruising at 40mph, but if it is at long stop lights that is a bit different.

how is your idle speed? could be that it needs to be set a tad higher if your bike stalls out when you are stopping.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 08/15/10 at 11:31:03

I think the reason it overheated the second time is because the oil was shot from being overheated.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/15/10 at 11:36:45

bill67 wrote on 08/15/10 at 11:10:26:
Sea Foam will clean out the motor,Then go to a Group 5 oil like Hi performance Klotz or Red Line,They are made to with stand higher heat than normal motorcycle oil.

Somebody fix the broken record ... Oh and just so the OP understands the 1-5 rating scale is Bill's invention.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 08/15/10 at 11:45:10

You might have a stuck ring which the Sea Foam could fix.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 08/15/10 at 13:13:30

bill67 wrote on 08/15/10 at 11:10:26:

Prove any one of those claims, Bill. Show us a documented test where Sea Foam cleaned an engine. Show us a link from a maker's web site saying Klotz or Red Line is a Group V oil.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 08/15/10 at 13:21:48

Charlie prove me wrong,,Charlie I have seen Sea Foam work in engines and carbs,thats all the proof I need.Show me were Klotz MX 15w-50 isn't a 10 out of 10 for no wear.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 08/15/10 at 13:26:42

Once again, Bill, the username is Charon. If you aren't bright enough even to copy it, there is little hope for you.

And you still are following your habit of attacking the questioner instead of actually showing your claims to be true. I have tried SeaFoam, and it did absolutely NOTHING. And YOU are the one making unsubstantiated claims.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #13 - 08/15/10 at 14:04:17

There appears to be some agreement from on the 1-5 rating scale of oil base stocks and additive packages, I base this on information from the web site <motorwatch.com>, of which I am a member.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 08/15/10 at 14:10:07

Charon wrote on 08/15/10 at 13:26:42:
Once again, Bill, the username is Charon. If you aren't bright enough even to copy it, there is little hope for you.

And you still are following your habit of attacking the questioner instead of actually showing your claims to be true. I have tried SeaFoam, and it did absolutely NOTHING. And YOU are the one making unsubstantiated claims.

charlie my username is Bill67.If you aren't bright enough even to coyp it,there is little hope for you

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:19:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Overheating - Fixed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.