Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reaching out for Wifi access while motorcycling (Read 267 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reaching out for Wifi access while motorcycling
08/14/10 at 04:50:59

As we do these various bike trips I find it is possible to "truck in" a laptop since I will be pulling my bike to all the big trips from now on to save my limited leg & foot & back time instead of consuming it all in doing the 800 miles into and out of the mountains.

Most motorcycle campgrounds have a single public wifi hot spot in the main office area.  I however prefer to stay in my cabin and snipe that signal from afar, mainly because I'm too lazy to cart the laptop back & forth and back & forth from the office (plus there may not be a place to set up there if it is full of people watching TV, plus you get asked like 50 times to "lemme check my email, buddy" by everyone who is going thru internet withdrawal).

Here is your $19.99 wifi sniper gimmick.

and here is where you can buy it for $16.99 new if you will look in the extra section for new and used.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BU8LIK/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&m...

I am currently using this product as I type this post to connect to a wifi spot that is an easy 250 yards away, I am getting a 3-4 bar 24 mips N signal that is rated very good by Windows XP at that distance.

Installation can be very simple, jest turn your local wifi in the machine off, then put the disk in the CD (don't run the disk or allow it to auto install as you don't want to have to deal with custom software interfering with your system).  Just let the disk be there, all quiet like.

Then plug in the wifi sniper USB cable -- your machine finds an unknown piece of hardware then asks if it can go to the net to find a driver.  You tell it "NO, not this time" then it asks if it can go to the CD and get the driver and you agree.

You get a dialog box showing all the drivers on the CD and there sure are a heck of lot of them, aren't they?   Now be careful to scroll around that list to find the one that best represents your system.  I used the 32 bit Windows XP driver because that best matches my system, the dead nuts accurate driver as a matter of fact.

Then tell windows to go load the driver and it does and it recognizes the USB device and suddenly you got internet again, much stronger than before.

Now, when you unplug the USB cable the driver becomes inactive and you can turn your internal wifi back on for normal use.   BTW, this works great for old laptops that have no wifi at all -- now they do (and it can see a long long way too !!!)

These devices were developed for "war driving" a nefarious tricky type thingamabop that involved riding around in low rider Honda Civic cars with loud exhausts while hacking past people's WEPA keys to get onto their routers.  

You as a civilized Savager would rarely would need to do this since you sitting still and can see for like a quarter mile now so you can find a neighbor in that quarter mile circle who hasn't bothered to set his router's WEPA key up when he put the router in a while ago and his signal is always wide open for public access.    

Since he has legally invited "group participation" it is even legal for you to sign on to his router automatically.  

==============================

For $19.99 having the device in your bag of tricks is a good enough thing, as literally it can pull an unblocked uninterrupted (no buildings in the way) signal from a quarter mile away when perfectly aimed.

Plus, if you are evil you could pull in a free wifi signal from a careless neighbor and not have to pay Time Warner's monthly connection fee any more.

« Last Edit: 08/15/10 at 02:10:15 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Reaching out for Wifi access while motorcyclin
Reply #1 - 08/14/10 at 09:21:24

If while traveling, you camp at a place that has a lot of Winnabago roadblockers there are probably wifi boosters all around the campground.
There are also cafes and bars that offer wifi.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/14/10 at 10:52:36

Cool!... I want one,... just need to think of some other little dodad to buy to get the free shipping... Huh...

Hmm?... doodad?.. Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/14/10 at 11:07:19

No, that other thang is a gizmo, this c'here is properly a whatchamacallit "doodad" or primary class gimmick ....

(all them proper terms, don't cha jes love them?)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 08/14/10 at 17:25:38

OK Oldfeller, you got me.  I just ordered one.  Serowbot, any dodad I would have wanted would have been more than the shipping.

I  have tried and tried to get wifi from my home to my office in the church.  I can stand outside and get the signal, but the brick walls were the stopper.  We will just have to see.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 08/14/10 at 17:34:34

With a wifi you don't need a internet connection?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 08/14/10 at 18:29:10

IF you can find a WiFI signal, it probably with connected to a router and a modem and into the Internet.  Few will have WEP / WAP and you ask the owner for the key.  Others will be Open, but will have routers blocking you until you pass name/password.

I did some some that were totally open.  It added things to what I was sending to.  People generally do not give things for nothing.

WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #7 - 08/14/10 at 23:37:18

I'm guessing I'll have to do the research in a bit to see if it works for us Mac folks as well as you I-Beemer types. Oldie, you are a darksider in more ways than one. Didn't anyone ever tell you that those Windows boxes would get you into trouble one of these days?

Jack

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 08/15/10 at 02:18:41

Yes, I am a PC.   I have been hit repeatedly with viruses, trojans and adwares and I am still a PC because that is the equipment I still own.

My wife is still actively working in University teaching and she still does the upgrade treadmill on Microsoft Office because she has to.   No choice is involved here. just job related no choices.

Plus she only knows Office -- hit her with anything else and "you eat straw for dinner until my Office is back up and running buddy".   It is her whole world.

I would drop XP and replace it with Linux personally in a heart beat, but all my machines must remain able to run the current version of Office as she must have a machine to use at home at all times (and one is generally eat up with something all the time).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #9 - 12/15/10 at 05:35:21

UPDATE!

I got the antenna thing sometime ago and still could not get the signal through all the brick walls.  The house is brick, church is brick, there are probably two interior walls in both the house and the church between the router and the computer, plus 135 yards or so.  The little antenna just could not pull in the signal.

So I built a cantenna:

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

I used a big coffee can that I had around the shop.  It did take some looking at Radio Shack to get the connectors, but I finally found them.  I could get signal inside now  Smiley but barely  Sad.  If I didn't mind standing on one leg and holding my mouth just so, but that was not really a good option.

I finally found a signal repeater:

http://www.shopping.com/WLS-G-RANGE-EXPANDER/info~linkin_id-8001584

$10 at a resale shop.  Plugged it in the shed, on the edge of the yard, hooked my my Oldfeller wifi sniper gimmick and added the cantenna to it and here I am using the thing in my office.

Let's just say, I am pretty happy today.  Cheesy

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #10 - 12/16/10 at 08:18:25

We live so far out in the country the only internet  is a tin can and string.....

Sep in Verizon. MIFI2200 35 bucks a month for 3gigs  which is just right. Kicker is if ya go over they do not charge by the MEG  it is 10 Bones for every extra gig.
still have not used the three Gigs up yet.

uses 3G technology and it completly portable.....

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 12/16/10 at 18:10:31

i just use the lap top to search, why spend the extra bucks for a gadget.
my wi  snipes the next door neighbors connection.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 03:27:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reaching out for Wifi access while motorcycling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.