Send Topic Print
Little screws in carb (Read 100 times)
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Little screws in carb
08/14/10 at 01:59:31

I just wanted to share this with you guys.  so im doing the white spacer mod for the carb.  pulled out the diaphram to get to the spacer to sand it down.  as i get my screw driver in to get those @#$%ing screws out i realized ive completely stripped the screw.  after about 45 minutes if trial and error and lots of swearing  Grin i finally get the screws out and do the mod.  ok no prob just replace the screw.  called up all the local stealerships in town, all out of stock with 2 weeks to order.  home depot scratched their heads and radio shack tried to sell me monster cables to fix it  Cheesy.  so i go home thinking im SOL for 2 weeks when i remember someone mentioning in a previous thread about PC screws matching up.  coincidently my buddy has old PCs laying around and sure enough there were my screws.  they held the hard drive into the bracket and fit perfectly.  Next time im having bike issues im calling the Geek Squad  Grin

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Little screws in carb
Reply #1 - 08/14/10 at 02:08:41

Getting those screws to line up and go back in can be a pain. It almost requires a magnetic screwdriver. Here is another trick.
Stick any small magnet to the blade of your standard screwdriver and it becomes a magnetized until you pull the magnet off.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 08/14/10 at 05:48:18

Getting those screws out is when it pays to go buy a brand new hi quality flips screwdriver, ...........and weigh 300#s and put 200 of it on that driver

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 08/14/10 at 05:55:24

When you use Sea Foam in your gas you keep all the parts in your carb lubed and the screws want be so hard to get out.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 08/14/10 at 05:58:39

When you use Seafoam in your gas you are wasting your money. I am running a test on the stuff even now, and have discerned NO DIFFERENCE with or without it. It has done exactly what I have been saying all along - NOTHING. Except cost $8.94 for sixteen ounces, that is.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 08/14/10 at 06:02:02

See Charon doesn't like to spend money,thats why he use a cheap oil in his motorcycle,penny pincher's will in up spending dollars in the long run.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 08/14/10 at 06:07:31

You would be better advised to go buy a set of JIS screwdrivers instead of even the best Philips screwdrivers. That is because the screws used on Japanese motorcycles are JIS, not Philips. Philips screwdrivers WILL damage JIS screws.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 08/14/10 at 06:10:48

For years (automotive) I believed in "the racers edge", a 1/2 can each oil change,......and I NEVER wore out an engine. But since then, I NEVER wore one out either.
So like all this stuff, its not if it works, its that you believe it works !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 08/14/10 at 06:13:46

Oh yeah ?
Not w/ 200# on them they won't, or they didn't mine anyway.
Charon wrote on 08/14/10 at 06:07:31:
You would be better advised to go buy a set of JIS screwdrivers instead of even the best Philips screwdrivers. That is because the screws used on Japanese motorcycles are JIS, not Philips. Philips screwdrivers WILL damage JIS screws.

Rich
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 08/14/10 at 06:27:06

More power to you, Routy. I have gotten the JIS screws out with Philips drivers, too. As you say it takes a LOT of pressure to keep the Philips drivers from camming out of the JIS holes, and even then you often round the corners. I have found it helps a little to use a slightly larger Philips in the JIS screws, if you can get it in there.

The magnet on the screwdriver works. You can also "stroke" the magnet along the length of the screwdriver, and the screwdriver will usually stay magnetized. Another trick, in case the screws are bronze or stainless, is a dab of sticky grease in the screwhead.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:20:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Little screws in carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.