Send Topic Print
Vibrations (Read 384 times)
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Vibrations
08/13/10 at 20:00:48

Last week I rode with my reading glasses in my pocket and when I got home one of the screws had rattled right out and the glasses were in four pieces.  When I got the bike going in May I bought a few cheap tools and put them in my tool bag which is bolted right to the fender.  Tonight I opened it to help a stranded motorist and the little LED flashlight had rattled apart and the allen wrench set which had been hinged at both ends had also rattled apart.  These things really do vibrate!  What have you shaken to pieces?

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Re: Vibrations
Reply #1 - 08/13/10 at 21:01:09

I lost a rear turn signal stem screw.  It's got an unusual stepped shaft so a bolt replaced it but blue threadlock might be a good idea on all of 'em.  The mirrors and barcaps are always loosening up too.

You might also put a frame or backing plate on your license plate - can vibrate like crazy and break the plate.  That would suck.

One screw and your glasses go to 4 pieces - sheesh

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #2 - 08/13/10 at 22:13:03

I lost my license plate frame and license plate at the same time. We were on our way to Olympia, Wa to do the Toys 4 Tots ride. Upon reaching the destination, hubby noticed my frame and plate was gone. Lucky for us their was a DMV opened on Sat near there and we were able to get a new plate. Now I make sure and check the wing nuts quite often.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 08/14/10 at 05:17:44

The license plate on mine is cracked, but I haven't lost anything yet (Some claim I lost my mind, but that happened way before the S40). The thumbscrew securing my windshield tends to come loose, but I don't know whether engine vibration or the shaking it gets from the wind is the culprit.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 08/14/10 at 05:35:56

I haven't had anything come loose in the year. It seems to me that these bikes are relatively smooth for a big single at speeds below 70. And thats no problem because this bike and this body don't like doing 70 for any length of time anyway ! Smiley

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Fuschia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/14/10 at 09:36:06

I lost a gremlin bell but I don't know if that was caused from vibration or not being tied secure enough!

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #6 - 08/14/10 at 14:27:57

lost my front right turn signal screw, rear right turn signal screw, right side bold that helps hold up the muffler support bracket, all four corners of my license plate (now sandwiched down between two plates of aluminum), windshield mount bolt...

oh, and my mind.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #7 - 08/14/10 at 15:23:09

I lost my wife on one ride, no I left her.  Grin

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/14/10 at 21:56:36

I was following the girl as she rode the S40. I saw the rear fender shimmy from side to side so hard I thot surely my eyes were wrong. It was shortlyafter she hit 2nd & was pulling away. These bike can shake hard.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 08/14/10 at 22:01:13

was that with fender rails?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/14/10 at 22:03:19

Yea, & the license plate was swinging hard, back & forth. Itwas cracked, too. I cant believe the fenders dontcrack.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 08/15/10 at 06:35:15

Saw a commercial for "new" Loctite QuickTape.  Looks easier to use than the liquid and its still removable.

Anybody tried it?

http://web.applied.com/base.cfm?page_id=4688

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 08/15/10 at 07:06:58

It should work good You can get a sample roll free there I did.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #13 - 08/16/10 at 15:02:04

I've cracked and lost my license plate and my sissy bar came of one day on the slab. Made a hell of a sound. Went back and got it..only a small scuff on the leather.

today I noticed my speedo slides around pretty freely.
Will fix that and the speedo rattle mod will be done to get ride of that racket.

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #14 - 08/16/10 at 17:40:43

bill67 wrote on 08/15/10 at 07:06:58:
It should work good You can get a sample roll free there I did.

Bill, my husband bought a roll of this today ----  $17!!!!  Roll Eyes  for 260" (21'8").  He will use it at work, but I can see plenty of bike applications too.  License plate to start?  LOL

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:20:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Vibrations

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.