Send Topic Print
drilling bleed holes? (Read 251 times)
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
drilling bleed holes?
08/13/10 at 16:37:42

has anyone ever drilled thier own bleed holes? I was thinking about doing this to my 52.5 pilot. I can only find 55 with bleed holes here in town and that has been way too rich for me. Any experience in this matter?

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: drilling bleed holes?
Reply #1 - 08/13/10 at 20:10:12

go to niche supply on ebay. They got all the jets you can shake a stick at for a few bucks a peice and they deliver quickly.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 08/14/10 at 02:10:39

RTC wrote on 08/13/10 at 16:37:42:
has anyone ever drilled thier own bleed holes? I was thinking about doing this to my 52.5 pilot. I can only find 55 with bleed holes here in town and that has been way too rich for me. Any experience in this matter?

keep in mind that "bleed holes" do not increase fuel flow, they only help to smooth out the transition process when going from low throttle to midrange throttle positions

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #3 - 08/14/10 at 11:06:38

LANCER wrote on 08/14/10 at 02:10:39:

keep in mind that "bleed holes" do not increase fuel flow, they only help to smooth out the transition process when going from low throttle to midrange throttle positions

i have heard that the bleed holes only smooth out the transition but why is a 55 w/bleed holes way too rich and a 52.5 way too lean? where is the in between? it seems that if there is more than one hole in the jet, then more fuel would be going through it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/14/10 at 22:06:16

Ive drilled my own bleed holes many times. Always, quite by accident. But, every hole Ive drilled in me has bled, profusely.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 08/15/10 at 01:57:35

RTC wrote on 08/14/10 at 11:06:38:

i have heard that the bleed holes only smooth out the transition but why is a 55 w/bleed holes way too rich and a 52.5 way too lean? where is the in between? it seems that if there is more than one hole in the jet, then more fuel would be going through it.

Mikuni makes 3 different types of pilot jets for the various types of carb models that will fit (thread size wise) in the stock BS40 carburetor.
If you happen to get pilot jets that are of different types they will flow much differently.
The VM22/210 series is for the VM & TM carburetors.
The BS30/96 is the correct bleed type and the N151.067 is the correct non-bleed type for the BS40 carburetor.
It is easy to get them mixed up since they look virtually alike to the eye.
Keep in mind that the main hole in the base of the jet (the threaded end of it) is what controls the amount of fuel flow; and the bleed holes are down stream of that...so the bleed holes have no control of the volume of fuel flow, only how it is dispersed after it comes in through the main hole.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 08/15/10 at 04:44:00

I am not a carburetor expert, but I thought the idea of the bleed holes was to allow air to enter the fuel flow so the fuel could begin to be atomized earlier. As Lancer said, the fuel enters through the hole at the base of the jet.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #7 - 08/15/10 at 06:30:31

LANCER wrote on 08/15/10 at 01:57:35:
RTC wrote on 08/14/10 at 11:06:38:

Mikuni makes 3 different types of pilot jets for the various types of carb models that will fit (thread size wise) in the stock BS40 carburetor.
If you happen to get pilot jets that are of different types they will flow much differently.
The VM22/210 series is for the VM & TM carburetors.
The BS30/96 is the correct bleed type and the N151.067 is the correct non-bleed type for the BS40 carburetor.
It is easy to get them mixed up since they look virtually alike to the eye.
Keep in mind that the main hole in the base of the jet (the threaded end of it) is what controls the amount of fuel flow; and the bleed holes are down stream of that...so the bleed holes have no control of the volume of fuel flow, only how it is dispersed after it comes in through the main hole.

that's some good info there thanks!

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #8 - 08/15/10 at 07:10:21

Lancer, what would you recommend that I do for a solution to this issue? Do you think maybe I got the wrong model 55 and that's why it's too rich?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 08/15/10 at 11:15:06

RTC wrote on 08/15/10 at 07:10:21:
Lancer, what would you recommend that I do for a solution to this issue? Do you think maybe I got the wrong model 55 and that's why it's too rich?

YEP ... ONE OR THE OTHER IS THE WRONG TYPE AND THROWING OFF YOUR TUNING

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 08/15/10 at 11:22:31

I got a Lancer jet kit a couple of years ago and I have the same way too rich issues with the #55 w/holes and too lean with stock issues. So I'm not sure if he has the wrong #55 pilot jet. I just can't believe this incredible difference between the two. The stock pilot and the next size up don't work in opposite directions. I wish I had a #52.5 with bleed holes and a #55 without and try that. BTW I also compared the 145 stock main and the 150 main, and the 150 sucked with being too rich. I run a stock air filter and no it is not dirty. Also run a stock exhaust with the baffle removed. It has 2/3 white washer and the mid range is very nice and responsive.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 08/15/10 at 18:06:12

ralfyguy wrote on 08/15/10 at 11:22:31:
I got a Lancer jet kit a couple of years ago and I have the same way too rich issues with the #55 w/holes and too lean with stock issues. So I'm not sure if he has the wrong #55 pilot jet. I just can't believe this incredible difference between the two. The stock pilot and the next size up don't work in opposite directions. I wish I had a #52.5 with bleed holes and a #55 without and try that. BTW I also compared the 145 stock main and the 150 main, and the 150 sucked with being too rich. I run a stock air filter and no it is not dirty. Also run a stock exhaust with the baffle removed. It has 2/3 white washer and the mid range is very nice and responsive.

There is also the issue of what was the size of the stock jet vs the size of the new jet.  Depending on the jet in question and the size range, the steps between sizes may be only 2.5 in the smaller sizes while in the larger sizes the steps between sizes jumps to 5 for each step.

....so was a size step missed in the process ?  it may be in some cases

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 08/15/10 at 18:43:24

Might it be an issue of not enough backpressure with the baffle removed?...

Stock air filter and drilled out muffler creates an intake restriction and too open in the rear...
You can only match the fuel to the amount of air you allow in...  and that will never match an unrestricted exhaust...

Just a thought... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #13 - 08/15/10 at 22:26:19

i just ordered a 52.5 with bleed holes so i'll let ya'll know what this does to my tune once i get it in

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #14 - 08/16/10 at 04:51:00

RTC wrote on 08/15/10 at 22:26:19:
i just ordered a 52.5 with bleed holes so i'll let ya'll know what this does to my tune once i get it in

Where did you get it?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 18:41:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › drilling bleed holes?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.