LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Camera/video equipment
Reply #15 - 08/16/10 at 14:45:40

I got one from the same place Al did; compact and like he said, several mounting options.
The model I got, the cheap one, is 2gb capable.  I assume the more expensive can use larger storage chips

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #16 - 08/16/10 at 17:31:41

I actually bought this one on ebay yesterday.  Didn't want to spend a fortune, not knowing if I'd even use it or like to use it, and this guy is just starting out, so he had some listed starting at 99 cents!  I ended up winning one for less than $20, including $9 shipping!!  So I'm gonna give it a try.  It also has all the mounting capabilities, including a handlebar mount and a little stand I can hook to my tree-stand and try it while hunting too!  I'll post an update after I get it and try it out.  Its not the most hi-tech, but I think it will be sufficient.  We'll see.

http://www.tandemcamera.com/details.php?prod_id=1&cat_id=1

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #17 - 08/16/10 at 18:49:54

looks like a good deal. let us know if you like it after you test it out.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 08/16/10 at 18:55:24

John_D FSO wrote on 08/16/10 at 14:35:35:
bill67 wrote on 08/13/10 at 08:37:13:
Take and old helmet drill hole in top but the bolts from a tri pod in the holes,A guy from our snowmobile club did that 30 years ago.

Sorry, but I think my helmet is the absolute last thing I'd be modifying like that.  Drilling holes in it could weaken it, and if the unthinkable happens, I want the best protection on my noggin that I can get! Cheesy

Your only drilling one 1/4 inch hole and when you put the bolt in it your plugging the hole,I don't think it would weaken it much at all.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #19 - 08/16/10 at 23:18:09

bill67 wrote on 08/16/10 at 18:55:24:
Take and old helmet drill hole in top but the bolts from a tri pod in the holes,A guy from our snowmobile club did that 30 years ago.

Sorry, but I think my helmet is the absolute last thing I'd be modifying like that.  Drilling holes in it could weaken it, and if the unthinkable happens, I want the best protection on my noggin that I can get! Cheesy

Your only drilling one 1/4 inch hole and when you put the bolt in it your plugging the hole,I don't think it would weaken it much at all.

in his defense bill, states with strict helmet laws have to have it DOT approved and stateys are cracking down on that.  by drilling u can in fact negate the DOT approval and run the risk of getting pulled over.  Unless u live in NH of course  Grin

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #20 - 08/17/10 at 00:55:35

Hashbrown wrote on 08/16/10 at 23:18:09:
bill67 wrote on 08/16/10 at 18:55:24:

in his defense bill, states with strict helmet laws have to have it DOT approved and stateys are cracking down on that.  by drilling u can in fact negate the DOT approval and run the risk of getting pulled over.  Unless u live in NH of course  Grin

Plus, there's always the possibility that a crack could spider out from that, if impacted at the right angle.  Kinda like a windshield crack starting from one tiny chip.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 08/17/10 at 04:25:12

A around hole isn't a chip or crack.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #22 - 08/17/10 at 05:38:30

Yea, I ain't puttin' no kind of hole in my brand new helmet, nor my old one for that matter!

I was looking at where to mount it this morning while riding to work.  I'm thinking one of the front signal stems would be an awesome place... maybe...  The center of the handlebars is gonna have the camera looking right at the bottom of my windshield.  Even if I can get it aimed through the windshield, it bounces a bit and I bet that would blur the video.  Will probably try on my body too.    

AL, where on the side of your bike did you mount yours?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #23 - 08/17/10 at 06:02:58

I 1st tried mounting it to the handlebars but it aims right at the chrome bar on the windshield. So I tried it on the saddlebag. That would have been okay except my hard bags tend to vibrate alot so the video wasn't very good. So next i tried it mounted to the side of my sissybar. That was alot more stable but I got a nice video of my back and not much else. so finally I mounted it to the engine guard and that worked pretty good. As you could see by the video, you can only really see the left hand turns of the bike in front of me but it still worked pretty good. Here's where i mounted it.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #24 - 08/17/10 at 06:28:00

Nice, thanks AL, and a picture says a thousand words!  I've got the same engine guard, so that should be a good spot for me too.  I have O-ring pegs, so I might even be able to scoot it out there.  My windshield doesn't have the chrome bar, but it has "Spit Fire" in red letters across the spot where I think the camera would aim on the handlebars.  

I got an email that the camera was shipped yesterday, but no tracking dammit!  I can't wait!

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #25 - 08/17/10 at 10:36:44

The guys on another bike board I frequent have been going ga-ga over these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190388697155&ssPageName=ST....  They tend to velcro them to helmets and rear fenders.  I don't have any personal experience with them though.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #26 - 08/17/10 at 10:41:18

sjaskow - FSO wrote on 08/17/10 at 10:36:44:
The guys on another bike board I frequent have been going ga-ga over these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190388697155&ssPageName=ST....  They tend to velcro them to helmets and rear fenders.  I don't have any personal experience with them though.

Wow, for less than 10 bucks, might have to try that little thing.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #27 - 08/17/10 at 11:08:02

Wow!...
I just ordered one... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #28 - 08/17/10 at 13:18:55

Serowbot wrote on 08/17/10 at 11:08:02:

Wow!...
I just ordered one... Grin...

Good, you can be the guinea pig for that one....    Grin

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #29 - 08/18/10 at 17:53:11

Camera came in the mail today.  Wow, its small!  About as big around as a quarter, and as long as the palm of my hand.  
I did a few test recordings.  There is no aim, but its not too difficult to aim.  Like pointing a flashlight.  The video is wonderful!  I went for a drive to pick up dinner (couldn't take the bike) but it came with a suction mount, so I stuck it on my car windshield.  The sound was good with my tests at home, but not good in the car.  I don't know if the air blowing was moving across the camera mic or what, but it was horrible.  Even when I stopped at red lights, the sound was still bad, like wind blowing, so it wasn't my window being down.  Hopefully that will be better on the bike, maybe if I put it behind my windshield.  It was fine in the tests at home.  Dogs barking, TV on, voices, etc.  sounded fine.  

One button to start/stop.  4 little indicator light to show what function you are in.  Blue=power on.  Green flashes while recording.  Red when charging, flashes when battery is low.  Yellow is standby mode.  Pretty simple.

Other than the sound, other minor complaints -- start/stop button is in the middle, which interferes with the rubber strap that wraps around it to mount on the handlebar (or wherever, but I think the handlebar is gonna be fine).  I'm going to have to move the strap back to the back of the camera, so hopefully that will still be stable/safe enough.  Will see.  

Other than that, a cap screws on the back end, like a flashlight, but that is where the power button is, and the mini-SD card goes, and the USB connection.  I wish the power button was on the outside, so it would be easier to turn on and off to conserve battery while not filming.

Acceptable complaints in my book, for the price and the video quality.  So far, I'm pleased....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:28:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Camera/video equipment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.