Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone ever ran a 160 tire? (Read 189 times)
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Anyone ever ran a 160 tire?
08/12/10 at 19:48:11

I've heard people fitting a 150 on.  I've got a 140 tire on it now.  Whats the widest you can go without clearance issues on a 650?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Anyone ever ran a 160 tire?
Reply #1 - 08/13/10 at 19:32:34

Clearance issues exist with the bolt heads on the inside of the fender when you go to the larger tires.   You hit a big bump, compress the shocks and run the big tire up into the wheel wheel and you tear a big chunk out of your brand new tire -- a difficult path to follow to understand this issue.

You will have to remove and replace some of the wide headed bolts with round heads or flat heads.

Sorry, it goes with the wide tire turf.  Really bigger tires requires more replacement than moderately larger tires.

This pic comes from a discussion thread about putting really big tires into your fender well.   This particular tire was a 165 which is only a smidgen larger than your proposed 160 tire.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181496112/0#0

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/14/10 at 04:36:36

I did and still do, but with a custom made fender. Somebody here has 150/90 on stock wheel/fender.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 08/14/10 at 05:43:49

Since the speedometer/odometer run off the transmission, installing a bigger tire will make the speedometer and odometer read lower. You will want to find out how much error exists BEFORE you earn any "performance awards" from the folks in blue.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #4 - 08/19/10 at 23:36:38

I run a 150 - 80 tire  had to replace most of the fender bolts with pan head allen bolts.  I have no issues at the moment with my set-up.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #5 - 08/21/10 at 17:23:22

i have a 150/90 dunlop 404. didn't work with the side rails on the stock fender, but i went and made a custom bobber fender anyway. no other clearance issues on the 150, but the 90 made it tall and it rubbed on the front of the swing arm. had to stiffen the shocks all the way too because the bolt heads chewed up my tread. it is not a fun feeling when a bolt meets the tire on a big bump  Undecided

i hear that a 160 needs spacers to keep it away from the belt and such.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #6 - 08/21/10 at 18:05:23

Mount a bicycle computer with its pickup on the front wheel. Calibrate it to whatever the size of that wheel/tire combo happens to be. You're on the money for speed, and you don't have to look down at that stupid tank-mounted speedometer. Doesn't matter what you do to the rear tire.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/21/10 at 18:56:46

Charon wrote on 08/14/10 at 05:43:49:
Since the speedometer/odometer run off the transmission, installing a bigger tire will make the speedometer and odometer read lower. You will want to find out how much error exists BEFORE you earn any "performance awards" from the folks in blue.

many of the GS bikes run a similar front tire.  and they all have front wheel drive speedo's.  It would be very easy to mount one on the savage.

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/22/10 at 04:31:58

groupus wrote on 08/21/10 at 17:23:22:
i have a 150/90 dunlop 404. didn't work with the side rails on the stock fender, but i went and made a custom bobber fender anyway. no other clearance issues on the 150, but the 90 made it tall and it rubbed on the front of the swing arm. had to stiffen the shocks all the way too because the bolt heads chewed up my tread. it is not a fun feeling when a bolt meets the tire on a big bump  Undecided

i hear that a 160 needs spacers to keep it away from the belt and such.

well... 160/60 I had required no spacers. 160/80 needed 4mm of shims to run.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:20:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone ever ran a 160 tire?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.