Send Topic Print
1150 miles - ouch! (Read 231 times)
clero1
YaBB Newbies

DeKalb, IL
1150 miles - ouch!
08/11/10 at 08:04:28

Hi friends,
I just finished an awesome 1150 mile round trip from my home in northern Illinois through Michigan's upper peninsula. My '05 S40 ran great, never missed a beat on backroads, through small towns, or rumbling down the interstate (to save time).

However, sore and numb buns by the time I got home. What have you done for seat comfort? What works for you that you can share?

My seat was reworked by a local upholsterer, better than original, and I use a Butt Buffer gel cushion, yet I still get saddle-sore too soon taking a bit of joy out of the long ride.

Thanks for your input.

Clero1,
DeKalb, IL

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Re: 1150 miles - ouch!
Reply #1 - 08/11/10 at 08:13:37

try doing the seat mod by adding nylon washers to raise the front of the seat up.  adds at least another 100 miles to your butt using the stock seat, prob more with the gel.  other then that all i can think of is forward controls and possibly a backrest depending on how tall you are

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/11/10 at 08:14:44

About 28 years ago My wife and I took that trip we went up to Copper Harbor in one day,I was a nice trip.We had Suzuki GR 650s at the time they had wider seats and thicker,And must softer suspensions.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #3 - 08/11/10 at 08:29:15

I know it's almost sacriledge here, but I'm not a cruiser riding position fan - OK it's my back that can't stand it. You may find more comfort in a standard or sport position. I can ride my Concours all day day after day, and be perfectly comfortable, about an hour on a cruiser, and I'm ready to call "UNCLE."

A lot of people go to a lot of trouble trying to make cruisers more comfortable because they like the look, or they think that they should be riding a cruiser, when a standard or sport bike would solve their problems. I'm sure there are just as many people riding cruisers who wouldn't be comfortable on a sport bike, but for some reason, people don't seem to spend a lot of time and money turning sport bikes or standard bike into cruisers.

PS I hope you enjoyed your ride - you did say it was awesome. I'm going to try and head up and ride along the Illinois river this fall to see the leaves turning (got a feeling this fall is going to be spectacular). I may camp out in Starved Rock or I may head further north and camp at White Pines.

IP Logged
Dmoney
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/11/10 at 09:19:15

I think mornhm is right. It's the fundemental riding position of the cruiser that is the biggest part of the problem--feet forward and arms outstreetched. I'm lucky I don't have back problems. But even so a long ride will eventually get to me.

I did a straight through from Richmond, Va to Columbus, Oh on a VStar 1100 ( I also have a '99 Savage)--8 hours on the nuts. Every muscle and joint in my body was killing me. I'll never do that again. Aside from the aches and pains, rider fatigue becomes a big danger factor. I'm lucky I didn't end up in aditch or under a semi.

IP Logged
clero1
YaBB Newbies

DeKalb, IL
Reply #5 - 08/11/10 at 11:30:08

I appreciate the comments and suggestions. It could be that long-range comfort is the impossible dream!

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 08/11/10 at 13:03:30

clero, do you have highway bars/pegs?  Mine adjusts my butt position just enough to make a difference.  Sometimes I only stick my left foot up on the peg.  Something just to change positions a bit.  Alot of people here like sheepskin too.  Haven't tried it myself, but its a thought.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 08/11/10 at 13:13:55

Also the stock shocks are stiff,Lot of people put difference shocks on,Helps a lot over the bumps.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #8 - 08/11/10 at 14:56:30

I have a sheepskin cover for the seat. It helped soften up the seat some. Was warm when it was cool out and cooled the seat some when it was hot out. It cost me $50 and I think it's an easy cheap way to add some comfort. It's one of the add ons I made sure to bring over to the C50.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
clero1
YaBB Newbies

DeKalb, IL
Reply #9 - 08/11/10 at 15:02:51

Thanks, the hiway bars do help and I am glad for them. Another kind of cushion might be the way to go. I have been thinking about different shocks - good winter project. And, if all else fails - the ride is worth the numb buns.

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #10 - 08/11/10 at 17:03:05

I've got to agree that the cruiser riding position is a big part of the problem. That and cheap and/or possibly worn-out rear shocks. I've been riding my daughter's Savage around some. She's about ready to move to a Ninja 250. We'll likely sell the Savage just because of the riding position. Too bad, it's a lovely engine. I've been thinking of replacing the Savage with a Royal Enfield (the new one with unit construction, hydraulic valves adjusters, and fuel injection). Really like thumpers, but really don't like that riding position. At least we only spent $1500 to discover this, not $7-10K on a Sportster.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #11 - 08/11/10 at 19:08:51

I tried the Butt Buffer, no help. I tried padding the seat, no help. I did the seat lift mod, helped a little. I put forward controls on, helped a little more. I finally bit the bullet and did the Diamond Jim seat mod. Best single mod to date. I've ridden for as much as 6 and a half hours and been almost as comfortable I was on my Goldwing. Best part is it's really an easy and inexpensive mod to do. I do recommend springing for the electric staple gun though.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #12 - 08/12/10 at 15:15:47

I did the spacer mod when I had mine, and it helped a lot.  Also, when I was going a ways on the freeway, I'd sometimes hook the heels of my boots on the passenger pegs, and lean forward a little, just to change up my position and stretch the muscles out.  It seemed to allow me to go farther without needing to stop and stretch.  Plus, it lets you put your chin down on the bars easier if you're bucking a headwind with no windshield! Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:12:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1150 miles - ouch!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.