Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Perseid Meteor Shower
08/11/10 at 01:26:11

For those who like shooting stars...

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/05aug_perseids/

Supposedly their running about 25 an hour right now, 100 an hour or so on the night of the 12th-13th.
Visible about midnight but the main show will be around 3-4 am
Look to the NE. IF it turns out to be one of the good ones, high count, long trails and even a few grazers and airbursts it will be a GOOD show.
Last couple have kinda fizzled but a few years back it was a show NOT to be missed!!!
Its worth staying up late or getting up early for. Grin

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Perseid Meteor Shower
Reply #1 - 08/11/10 at 05:10:28

They mentioned this on the news this morning.  Might just have to stay up for this one.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/11/10 at 09:12:52

When you go out for a meteor shower, take an astro towel.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #3 - 08/11/10 at 11:58:37

About 8 years ago if memory serves me right. I was coming home via back road around midnight after work. Their were a couple cars parked along the side of the road. I thought at first one was broke down and the other was helping them out. Going on a couple miles down the road their were several cars parked and people out and some were on the hoods. I start wondering what the hell is going on? Then I remembered about the Meteor showers. I pulled over and watched for quite awhile. It was amazing.

I will have my 3 Grandchildren from Friday of this week for 1 week. I am going to try and get them to watch this event with me.  Smiley

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #4 - 08/11/10 at 14:17:06

The perseids is one of the better meteor showers. When its good  ITS GOOD! Just kinda depends on wheather we go through the edge of the swift/tuttle debris field or we go through the middle of it.
About 8 years ago we hit the middle and ended up with something on the order of 500 an hour. Spectacular.
No moon this time so it should be good. Find a nice spot away fom the city lights if you can.
Its a good idea the watch the night before and after the projected peak as well. Sometimes they miss it by a day.
All you need is a blanket(unless you like criks in your neck)...lol

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #5 - 08/11/10 at 16:01:29

Phelonius wrote on 08/11/10 at 09:12:52:
When you go out for a meteor shower, take an astro towel.

Phelonius

good one, Grin Grin

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #6 - 08/12/10 at 03:47:46

Now what are you going to use an Astro Towel for? Drying off the Jetsons dog Astro or laying on Astro Turf? Grin

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 08/12/10 at 21:55:06

The Wife and I just saw a HUGE one the lit the NE sky for  20 or 25 deg.   I think it the largest  one I've ever seen .    

Tommorrow night it going to be neighbors , BBQ grill and Lawn chairs set up with a NE view.

Its yard party time with BigScreen Entainment !

Thanks for the tip WolfMan     ,         What part of the Country you from ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #8 - 08/13/10 at 03:48:59

Im a hop skip and a jump to the NW of you in SW MO. Bout 21 miles NE of springfield.
Spent a couple hours watching tonight, was a decent show. Nothing like 8 years ago but worth watching. Been better if id been out on top of a clear hill where i could see more of the sky.
We probably seen the same one if it was about 3:30 or so. Lit up the sky, changed colors and the tail hung around for a good 45 seconds or so.
Daughter seen one that split in two but i missed it. No air bursts tonight. Lost count of planes and satalites...lol
Ill be watching again tomorrow night.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 08/13/10 at 05:02:44

We have been planning to go camping this weekend.  Hubby had an emergency at work last night (sprinkler burst in one of their assisted-living homes) so hopefully it won't ruin our plans.  Also supposed to be some rain, so if we get to go, we might not get to ride the bikes.  But a nice dark campground would be a wonderful place to watch them.  I saw one decent one last night, but didn't stay out very long.  Big Yard Party sounds good too! 

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 08/13/10 at 15:45:22

Saw a bright green one on the NE horizion while getting the paper at 5:00 this am. Real cool to see one that bright. Now we have rain forcasted for the next two days Angry

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #11 - 08/14/10 at 01:50:12

Ill trade the perseids for rain. We have'nt had any for over a month it seems and its been right at or over 100 for the last 6 days.
It finaly showered for a bit this evening but not enough to really help. Need a good long soaker and temps to drop about 10 degrees.

Theres another one comes about november but cant remember the name of it right now.
It was a decent show last night and at least it was warm.
Ive frizzen in NOV watching them...lol

IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #12 - 08/14/10 at 12:00:38

My girl friend and I took the bike up to Vista House (just outside of Portland, Oregon) last night and saw some really nice ones.  I have to say, the ride up old highway 30 was a little dodgy in the dark. But it was a beautiful night.

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #13 - 08/14/10 at 19:48:47

we were camping thursday and friday night - didn't see that many, was also partly cloudy.  saw a few really awesome bright ones though

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 08/14/10 at 21:39:18

wolfmrp wrote on 08/14/10 at 12:00:38:
My girl friend and I took the bike up to Vista House (just outside of Portland, Oregon) last night and saw some really nice ones.  I have to say, the ride up old highway 30 was a little dodgy in the dark. But it was a beautiful night.

A guy on the Guzzi forum just posted pics of the Vista House. He was up there just last week.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 11:02:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › Perseid Meteor Shower

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.