Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
performance engine upgrades for ls650 (Read 824 times)
lastchancevegas13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

performance engine upgrades for ls650
08/10/10 at 08:33:53

what are all of them possible, cam, chain conversion, what else? i want it all! also who does race tuning for the savages, porting polishing top end headwork etc....
Thanks..
ps:i i have basically an entire savage minus the frame and engine thats up for sale ill put it in classifieds in a bit, so all parts are up for grabs! or trades if ya got anything i may need like a chain kit, or any performance stuff

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: performance engine upgrades for ls650
Reply #1 - 08/10/10 at 11:19:08

search out lancer's rex for the full story

high lift high duration cam - see lancer
high compression piston from the dr650 - several examples
porting is shown is several posts
stock drive is good for off the line accel
chain drive if you want high speed.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 08/10/10 at 12:19:12

I am sure you already know this, but I'll point it out anyway. Unless you are just dead set on the Savage, you would spend a lot less time and money just trading for any used 600 cc sportbike in decent condition.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
lastchancevegas13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/10/10 at 14:45:25

i have 14 different motorcycles, all different types, no crotch rockets though, not into having plastic on my motorcycle, ive seen a few streetbikes that look pretty dmn tough actually but for the most part not into em... just not my thing whatsoever... closest id get is an old 70s 2 stroke motor in a cafe racer chassis, which im actually building as we speak hahah, yamaha 360cc race prepped 2 stroke motor, in a honda cl100 scrambler stretched 6 inches in a bratstyle hardtail frame. i just love my savage and wanna give her any mods she could possibly have is all, thanks for the tips so far... heres the bike b.t.w, ive done alot more since this though..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQLJoSrt4Bo

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 08/10/10 at 15:31:31

My '96 Savage "REX" has the following mod's...

-perf carb; 38mm Edelbrock Quicksilver at the moment but it changes frequently as I play and test; K&N or similar filter
-stage 2 Performance Camshaft
-97mm overbore, silicone carbide treatment to cyl walls for friction/heat reduction & 10X cyl life
-forged 10.5:1 CR 97mm piston with thermal/friction reduction treatments to the crown and skirts
-intake and exhaust ports .... messaged well
-slavy cam chain tensioner mod
-converted to chain drive for gearing choices
-Veypor perf guage/dyno
-top frame tube mod'd to accept different tank
-mag wheels form 80's GS 450/550/650; 16" rear/19" front with tubless Metzler 880's
-front forks from 80's GS550/650

I do not remember exactly which parts were from whic model except for the forks/dual calipers, I know they are from the GS650.
The photo of REX in the "Rubber sidedown" section show dual disc but just one caliper...but I have another set of tubes with dual calipers and they will go on shortly.

-steel trailer fender on rear and a front fender from a clearance sale of HD parts

there are also forward controls from some European company I think...got them on ebay a while back

Performance carb and cam info can be seen @ http://stores.ebay.com/SAVAGE-PERFORMANCE?_rdc=1

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #5 - 08/11/10 at 08:47:49

Lancer how does yours start and run - is there a tiny battery?  

It looks light and fast like aircraft - nice logo.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/11/10 at 09:36:28

Is there a sound clip for this bike?  Does anyone have a sound clip for an aftermarket muffler of any kind?

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 08/11/10 at 09:49:49

Check the tech section under contents and links, 5th post down -
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1151331...

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 08/11/10 at 12:32:26

ero4444 wrote on 08/11/10 at 08:47:49:
Lancer how does yours start and run - is there a tiny battery?  

It looks light and fast like aircraft - nice logo.

Ive got an ignition bug thats been messing with me for a while
with the mountain ride behind me and some other things done I should be able to focus on getting it solved
will post a sound/video when its back up and on the road

It is fast; I had a few days running prior to the Dragon ride and then it started messing with me 2 days before the ride...dang !
It was not loosened up yet so I don't know for sure what it is capable of yet.
One thing for sure is that the exhaust coming out of REX is considerably more potent than before.  The extra bump from the Stage 2 cam and the increase to 696cc with a 10.5 or 11 to 1 compression ratio really added a lot of punch to the exhaust.

I have an extra garage space to work out of now so that will help a lot and I intend to focus on REX until he is up and running properly.
I was a pilot in the military and have loved aviation since I was a kid...hence the aircraft style/look.  
I could not get the polished look I wanted on the steel tank and fenders so they are now paiinted in black truck bed "rhino lining" type stuff.  It's tough and no maintenance...I like it. Wink

The battery is a gel type I ordered off ebay early this year; about $65 dilivered; it exceeds the power level recommended for the Savage by quite a bit.  I wanted to be sure there was plenty of power.
My last battery was an Optima Dry Cell; loved that powerhouse and I will get another one when the parts bike comes to life sometime next year likely and the gel will be transferred to it while REX will get the Dry Cell.

« Last Edit: 08/11/10 at 17:45:14 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 08/11/10 at 17:45:51

another

IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/16/10 at 18:33:11

Lancer, any gain in performance by kicking the carb out?? I know it did on single carb tiger motors on Triumphs-but they were twins....

IP Logged
jspace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/16/10 at 20:38:24

LANCER wrote on 08/10/10 at 15:31:31:

-perf carb; 38mm Edelbrock Quicksilver at the moment but it changes frequently as I play and test; K&N or similar filter
-97mm overbore, silicone carbide treatment to cyl walls for friction/heat reduction & 10X cyl life
-forged 10.5:1 CR 97mm piston with thermal/friction reduction treatments to the crown and skirts
-Veypor perf guage/dyno
-mag wheels form 80's GS 450/550/650; 16" rear/19" front with tubless Metzler 880's

I do not remember exactly which parts were from whic model except for the forks/dual calipers, I know they are from the GS650.
The photo of REX in the "Rubber sidedown" section show dual disc but just one caliper...but I have another set of tubes with dual calipers and they will go on shortly.

-steel trailer fender on rear and a front fender from a clearance sale of HD parts

there are also forward controls from some European company I think...got them on ebay a while back

Performance carb and cam info can be seen @ http://stores.ebay.com/SAVAGE-PERFORMANCE?_rdc=1

http://images1f.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp9%3A%3B%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E639%3E697%...

http://images1f.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp937%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E639%3E697%3EWS...

http://images1f.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp8%3B%3B%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E639%3E697%...

sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 08/17/10 at 02:19:17

LANCER wrote on 08/10/10 at 15:31:31:

-Veypor perf guage/dyno
-Barnett clutch pack with heavy springs

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 08/17/10 at 02:26:41

einheit13 wrote on 08/16/10 at 18:33:11:
Lancer, any gain in performance by kicking the carb out?? I know it did on single carb tiger motors on Triumphs-but they were twins....

Moving the carb to the outside was not a choice; after the frame was mod'd the carb would not fit in its normal location without contacting the new top frame tube extension so it had to go outside.
I am now trying to make a HD manifold work  but not sure if it will

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 21:43:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › performance engine upgrades for ls650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.